Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Re: High Current Gun Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
The Ulusub 155 must be killer for wahoo.
It's much bigger than most guns being suggested here. If you had the budget, you could ask Jon about an Ulusub 140 or possibly sell the 155 to finance the 140. It'll be a similar feel but much much smaller with enough power to still get wahoo and other pelagics but still dive deep.
Definitely not letting go of that gun! Just looking to put another gun on deck for when that current is ripping and we're doing 50' drops every 4 minutes chasing after the doggies!

I dont have a wahoo spot yet - Im still working out the kinks of living here but I know they are around - and Im definitely excited to put that 155 to use there. Also apparently there is YFT here during the summer...again I have yet to see one and the water is really rough during that time and it isnt great for making the long runs out to where they "supposedly" are.

I've been having some accuracy issues after replacing my bands with some new material from america on my RA 120 Tuna...watching shots in slow motion the recoil on the RA is insane. (I think Im over powered, but I cut the bands a little longer than suggested on all the different pages)

You watch the ulusub shoot and its like a laser pointer. One handed. Gun doesnt move. and the spear goes right where it was pointed.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #17
Nix

Where are you exactly? Either way, keeping the 155 sounds like a solid plan. A higher handled pipe gun than the rob allen definitely sounds like the budget friendly way and would be much nicer for shooting smaller fish on the reef too.

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #18
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
Where are you exactly? Either way, keeping the 155 sounds like a solid plan. A higher handled pipe gun than the rob allen definitely sounds like the budget friendly way and would be much nicer for shooting smaller fish on the reef too.
I live in Tonga, in the south pacific.

Def not parting with the ulusub - just looking for a compromise gun.

Most recent idea is putting a d'angelo 1 handle onto the rob allen...the handle is a little smaller than the inside of the barrel - but I dont know how the track would line up/what to do there if it didnt.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:18 AM   #19
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
... putting a d'angelo 1 handle onto the rob allen...the handle is a little smaller than the inside of the barrel - but I dont know how the track would line up/what to do there if it didnt.
You need someone with a lathe to turn a sleeve to compensate the difference between OD of handle and ID of barrel

Get it done in nylon, acrolon, teflon, PU, whatever... as long as it is impervious to water absortion (so it doesn't swell). Will probably require you to fix everything together with fasteners, because most of those materials don't get along well with commonly available glues.

If a concentric sleeve (centering the hadle in the barrel) gets the track aligned with the mech, then you are golden. If not, that difference between handle OD and barrel ID will work in your favour... it is just a matter of turning a non-concentric sleeve (I am talking about ID and OD of the sleeve).

You need to offset the ID and OD of the sleeve by the same distance you need to get the track aligned with the mech.

I hope this helps!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 AM   #20
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
You need someone with a lathe to turn a sleeve to compensate the difference between OD of handle and ID of barrel

Get it done in nylon, acrolon, teflon, PU, whatever... as long as it is impervious to water absortion (so it doesn't swell). Will probably require you to fix everything together with fasteners, because most of those materials don't get along well with commonly available glues.

If a concentric sleeve (centering the hadle in the barrel) gets the track aligned with the mech, then you are golden. If not, that difference between handle OD and barrel ID will work in your favour... it is just a matter of turning a non-concentric sleeve (I am talking about ID and OD of the sleeve).

You need to offset the ID and OD of the sleeve by the same distance you need to get the track aligned with the mech.

I hope this helps!
Mikel - this is a great post.

Unfortunately I was thinking more along the lines of using some electrical tape to snug up the 0.5mm difference. The handle part is before the plug, and so it isnt meant to be water tight anyways.

Is that a reasonable thought?

I realize your post is more about getting the track in line also... Heres hoping that centering the handle in the barrel aligns the two...but not sure that it will and buying a $85 trigger is a big gamble for an I dont know.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #21
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Mikel - this is a great post.

Unfortunately I was thinking more along the lines of using some electrical tape to snug up the 0.5mm difference. The handle part is before the plug, and so it isnt meant to be water tight anyways.

Is that a reasonable thought?

I realize your post is more about getting the track in line also... Heres hoping that centering the handle in the barrel aligns the two...but not sure that it will and buying a $85 trigger is a big gamble for an I dont know.
I hear you on the tape. 5mm is nothing. We can make it work for sure.

About tapes....

Electrical tape is easy to use because it sticks, but it is thickhat thick. I would suggest you to use teflon tape (plumbers supply) instead. There are at least two thickness that I am aware off. Get the thinnest one so you don't get thick ribs when you overlap the wraps. The drawback is that teflon tape is not sticky, so you cannot use a back and forth twisting motion to put the handle inside of the barrel. You have to twist it always in the same direction, going with the wrap. If you go against it, the teflon tape will unwrap. You pretty much have one go.

Deburr the inside of the barrel and any other holes (for screws or whatever) so they don't hang on the teflon tape.

Better too tight than too lose. You can use something to lubricate the process, silicon grease or even soap (will disolve in the water).

I know because I did this very same thing to fix a Sporasub Aspic handle into a Picasso aluminum barrel.

If you need to offset it to align the track... there is still hope for you (sans lathe work, that is).

Use coarse sand paper on the handle piece to score the surface. Then get some epoxy putty, mix it and wrap it arround the handle piece. Oversize, of course.

Then, once hardened... it is up to you and your whitling skills to remove putty wherever needed until you achieve the desired fit.

I have seen this done in an Omer muzzle for a Sporasub barrel.

I hope these tips help!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #22
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I hear you on the tape. 5mm is nothing. We can make it work for sure.

About tapes....

Electrical tape is easy to use because it sticks, but it is thickhat thick. I would suggest you to use teflon tape (plumbers supply) instead. There are at least two thickness that I am aware off. Get the thinnest one so you don't get thick ribs when you overlap the wraps. The drawback is that teflon tape is not sticky, so you cannot use a back and forth twisting motion to put the handle inside of the barrel. You have to twist it always in the same direction, going with the wrap. If you go against it, the teflon tape will unwrap. You pretty much have one go.

Deburr the inside of the barrel and any other holes (for screws or whatever) so they don't hang on the teflon tape.

Better too tight than too lose. You can use something to lubricate the process, silicon grease or even soap (will disolve in the water).

I know because I did this very same thing to fix a Sporasub Aspic handle into a Picasso aluminum barrel.

If you need to offset it to align the track... there is still hope for you (sans lathe work, that is).

Use coarse sand paper on the handle piece to score the surface. Then get some epoxy putty, mix it and wrap it arround the handle piece. Oversize, of course.

Then, once hardened... it is up to you and your whitling skills to remove putty wherever needed until you achieve the desired fit.

I have seen this done in an Omer muzzle for a Sporasub barrel.

I hope these tips help!
Thank you! I will hopefully be giving this a go soon, in a week or two maybe.

Ordered a handle from NZ so we will give a frankenstein gun a try - if it doesn work Ill probably go pathos open pro with a handle mod!