Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Ryan H

belt reels

How do belt reels work? How can you fight your fish if you let go of your gun on the belt reel?
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Rob Allen
Sponsor

Re: belt reels

The belt reel line is attached to the gun.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Freshy

Have a look at these videos. It will give you some idea of how they are used. In the second one, they seem to attach the gun to their belt reel via a short bungee. It's always interesting to see how different people hunt in different countries/environments.

Rob Allen Belt Reel - YouTube
Rob Allen Spearfishing - Mozam Magic - YouTube
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Ryan H

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Behslayer

Belt Reels are good to have if you are going to be fishing with a Gun Reel. another layer of options. A Belt Reel usually incorporates some kind of easy clip on so that you can clip your belt reel line onto something if necessary. It's not usually kept clipped to the gun at all times, but as a back up for use if a diver gets spooled or if there is some sort of tangle, either bands or gun reel. In situations where there's a good possibility of getting spooled.. for example Whaoo fishing with a 50yd Reel etc. etc. some guys will the a sturdy Loop into the end of their Gun Reel line @ 1ft off the spool. If you want, you can then clip onto this and have the option of cutting your gun free.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Ryan H

man, that's pretty cool, but seems kinda complicated to me. I only ever use float lines or just my reel on my 120. ive never seen anyone use a belt reel in
CA but id like to see it in person it looks pretty effective in bad situations
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Rob Allen
Sponsor

Hi Ryan,

Diving without a floatline and just a reel gun is so much easier when diving from a boat with a bunch of other guys. There are no float line entanglements and, quick and easy entry and exit from the water.

The belt reel gives you that added ability to take larger fish that would either pull out all your gun reel line and either swim off with your gun or, break off because you are now hanging on. To me it is great to be still be able to feel and fight the fish all the time because you are still connected and not just swimming after a buoy in the distance.

I use 1,5mm reel line, this gives me 90m (nearly 300 foot) on my gun reel as well as 90m on my belt reel. It is an amazing sensation to be still in contact with a fish while so far apart in the water.

One problem with gun reels and belt reels is that there is now a lot of line around and, entanglement with it is possible. Not something I would suggest to a new guy.

Regards,
Rob Allen.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
PeterCorreale
Sponsor-SpearfishingPanama

Send a message via AIM to PeterCorreale

I started using belt reels last year, as i like to use big 90 yard reels for shooting pelagics instead of a float/bungie set up. Though, obviously, there is a limit when u start toget into the very large pelagic fish that sound when u shoot them in water thats deeper then the amount of reel line u have. I have had success shooting wahoo and even tuna up 80-100 pounds with a reel and belt reel. As rob stated, its freat when u are in a boat with a bunch of guys with floats and float lines. With just a reel, u are usually the first one in the water. The downside to that though, is when i big fish takes most of ur line, once landed it takes a while to reel it all back in. Entanglement as well is obviously a issue. I have my belt reel rigged with a small long line clip and the end of the line, that way i can quickly clip it off too the loop of line at the end of my guns. Its obviously important to make sure all these links are strong, just like the links on ur shooting line etc. otherwise u risk loosing ur gun. When shooting tuna with a reel/belt reel, i kept the belt reel clipped to the gun while diving, for in the event that i shot a large fish that would not give me enough time to clip off before my reel on my gun is spooled..... Also, dont forget to make sure the bitter end of the line on ur guns reel is secured to the reel correctly.....
PeterCorreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Ryan H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Hi Ryan,

Diving without a floatline and just a reel gun is so much easier when diving from a boat with a bunch of other guys. There are no float line entanglements and, quick and easy entry and exit from the water.

The belt reel gives you that added ability to take larger fish that would either pull out all your gun reel line and either swim off with your gun or, break off because you are now hanging on. To me it is great to be still be able to feel and fight the fish all the time because you are still connected and not just swimming after a buoy in the distance.

I use 1,5mm reel line, this gives me 90m (nearly 300 foot) on my gun reel as well as 90m on my belt reel. It is an amazing sensation to be still in contact with a fish while so far apart in the water.

One problem with gun reels and belt reels is that there is now a lot of line around and, entanglement with it is possible. Not something I would suggest to a new guy.

Regards,
Rob Allen.
Thanks. I see how they could get very tangled but it's something id like to try one day. I would have to do it offshore because of all our kelp though
Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER

Gun reels are about the only way I will dive and I like the idea of haveing a loop in the end of your reel line to clip to with the belt reel