Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: Spearing Jew Fish...Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Woody, we both know how fertile the Internet can be for posting speculation. Knowing Gerry, the owner of JDC, fairly well, I sincerely dout that self-promotion is his agenda. Andrew is the Original poster here and recently posted about Goliath Groupers in another situation. Free speech is a gnarly thing sometimes and opinions abound on Spearboard about this subject - just run a search on Goliaths or jewfish and see what pops up.
Agree and of course I don't know the owner of the dive operation. But just wondering why or how it made it to the news?? Was there really any need to do that? Maybe so I really don't know. But one thing for sure is that it doesn't do your sport any good there. I have read all the threads about jewfish and know that promoting something like this to the local media is bad for spearfishing and proponents of harvesting jewfish.

So again why was it taken to the media??
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: Spearing Jew Fish...Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Agree and of course I don't know the owner of the dive operation. But just wondering why or how it made it to the news?? Was there really any need to do that? Maybe so I really don't know. But one thing for sure is that it doesn't do your sport any good there. I have read all the threads about jewfish and know that promoting something like this to the local media is bad for spearfishing and proponents of harvesting jewfish.

So again why was it taken to the media??
Woody, it looks to me like it was properly taken to law enforcement. I don't know who approached the media, but law enforcement people seem to be involved in that aspect.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_...ad-off-jupiter

Note that FWC would like any information about the perpetrators in this TV news report.

Woody, do you have any reservations about seeking information about and punishing the law breakers?

Last edited by SpearMax; 08-03-2012 at 07:05 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Chiung
Registered Shooter

Quote:
Woody, do you have any reservations about seeking information about and punishing the law breakers?
What law was broken? The fish was neither in the shooters possession nor harvested.
Chiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Would not have any problem with finding the law breakers. They did what they did and deserve to get caught and face the man.

Was it right? No....but in the end it is a just a single fish in the ocean. Bringing it to the media does highlight a touchy subject does it not? Will the pubilicity and the spin the media has already brought bring more harm than good? I think yes. After watching the video, looks to me like the dive shop is pissed someone is shooting the big fish where they take clients. Do they have a right to be pissed I would say yes. But in the end whether the shop or you see it that way, they are bringing bad publicity to your sport there. Good for the shop they are made out the good guys protecting the environment and bad for the badboys of spearfishing. As you know all it takes is one person to ruin it for everybody.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Post Re: Spearing Jew Fish...Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiung View Post
What law was broken? The fish was neither in the shooters possession nor harvested.
Here you go Chiung. See the PDF attached from the South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council website. I would say the fish might have been "harmed" by a steel shaft in its head. If you have further questions, you might call up the state or federal authorities.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FWC GoliathGrouperReminder.pdf (13.7 KB, 175 views)
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
Chiung
Registered Shooter

Quote:
Here you go Chiung. See the PDF attached from the South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council website. I would say the fish might have been "harmed" by a steel shaft in its head. If you have further questions, you might call up the state or federal authorities.
I read that, as well as the similar information on the Fwc website, prior to my post. The context of "harm" relates to the possession of the fish, and the example used is that of boating for a photo op causing harm.

The letter of the law only prohibits possession or harvest, which apparently did not happen.

And if you haven't guessed, I am only playing devil's advocate. I think the shooting, even without possession or harvest, is what the law intended to prohibit by making jewfish protected. However, I disagree with the continuing need for the same level of protection, because the population is no longer endangered.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: Spearing Jew Fish...Again

Quote:
However, I disagree with the continuing need for the same level of protection, because the population is no longer endangered.
What is the scientific basis of your statement above?

Can you cite any scientific research?

Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Chiung
Registered Shooter

Quote:
What is the scientific basis of your statement above?

Can you cite any scientific research?

Just playing devil's advocate.
From SEDAR 6 Stock Assessment Report 1. Goliath Grouper http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/sedar/down...df?id=DOCUMENT

"We believe the best advice at present for managing the U.S. goliath grouper population should be predicated on the results of the base model (Figures 4 and 5). These indicate that there is about a 50% chance that the population will have recovered to ~s50% by 2006 and about a 95% chance that it will recover by 2012."

From 2007 SEFSC Goliath Status Memo http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/sedar/down...df?id=DOCUMENT

Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
wlazz

I'm with Chiung on this... time to start slayin some GG's!!
wlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #25
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: Spearing Jew Fish...Again

Quote:
From SEDAR 6 Stock Assessment Report 1. Goliath Grouper http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/sedar/down...df?id=DOCUMENT

"We believe the best advice at present for managing the U.S. goliath grouper population should be predicated on the results of the base model (Figures 4 and 5). These indicate that there is about a 50% chance that the population will have recovered to ~s50% by 2006 and about a 95% chance that it will recover by 2012."

From 2007 SEFSC Goliath Status Memo http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/sedar/down...df?id=DOCUMENT
SEDAR6
Assessment Report 1
SEDAR6-SAR1

SEDAR/SAFMC
One Southpark Circle #306
Charleston, SC 29414
(843) 571-4366

Chuing, do you anything more current than 5 to 8 years old?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #26
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

I highly doubt that the GG population has gone down in the past 5 years. Tony, do you not see dozens of these things on every wreck? They are literally everywhere up my way. They make it difficult to freedive on many wrecks here because they steal every fish you shoot. Not fun, and dangerous. I cant even remember the last time I did a dive and didnt see a GG. Its great protecting them while they were endangered, but that doesnt seem to be the case any more.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #27
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Spearing Jew Fish...Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdestroyer View Post
I highly doubt that the GG population has gone down in the past 5 years. Tony, do you not see dozens of these things on every wreck? They are literally everywhere up my way. They make it difficult to freedive on many wrecks here because they steal every fish you shoot. Not fun, and dangerous. I cant even remember the last time I did a dive and didnt see a GG. Its great protecting them while they were endangered, but that doesnt seem to be the case any more.
Is that the real issue? Them stealing your speared fish?

Does it really happen with every fish?

Perhaps we should survey this for scuba spearos and freedive spearos.

I rarely lose a fish to a GG on scuba. I honestly would like to know the true experiences of other divers.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #28
Megabeast

I've never had a Jewfish touch my fish. There aren't even that many of them up here... just a few here and there on artificials. On a big wreck, sometimes I'll see 3-4. It sounds like the problem is much worse in the gulf/S. fl.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #29
MIDNIGHT DREAMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohunter View Post
It is true that what this person did was wrong and makes us spear fishermen look bad, but the honestly I think it’s time to open a season on these guys. Maybe just a mini season and hook and line gear only. Just harvest the smaller ones, let the big breeders walk.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #30
Mulloway
Certified Muffdiver

Send a message via ICQ to Mulloway Send a message via MSN to Mulloway

a few scenarios could have happened before the grouper was speared, it could be attacking the diver's stringer or it could even be attacking the diver himself, hence in self defence, the grouper received a brow piercing.

the spearo should have finished the job, give the crabs and lobsters a grouper buffet treat and retrieve the spear. the pics won't appear online and we'll have 'world peace' lol.
Mulloway is offline   Reply With Quote