Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
SoloScuba

Lobster Meat Removal

With Lobster Mini Season fast approaching, I'd like to know how you remove the raw meat from the lobster tail? Years ago when my wife and I were in the Keys and I ordered lobster, which I seldom do, they brought it to me broiled, I had never had it prepared that way. When I mentioned this to our server and asked if he could ask the chef how he had prepared it, the chef invited us to the kitchen and showed us! What a concept! Since then I've always broiled the lobsters I round up during Mini Season.

The one problem I have is remembering the best way to remove the raw meat from the shell without cutting the tail in half. If I manage to get the meat from the shell, I place the shell (just the tail) on a cookie sheet, put the meat on top of it and butterfly the meat. Then it's just a matter of putting a little butter on the raw meat with salt and pepper and popping it under the broiler for about 5 minutes until it's cooked.

I've always enjoyed it this way, I've just had mixed results getting the meat out of the tail without mutilating it. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Spearfishing Orangutan

SoloScuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Re: Lobster Meat Removal

I either break the tail by bending it or use a sharpe pair of scissors.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
B Lang

Get the tail cold and by putting it in a saltwater brine. It firms the meat and pulls all the blood out. Split the top of the shell with scissors/knife and fold it open. Grab both ends of meat at the head end and peel it out all the way to the tail. I still don't know how anyone enjoys eating one of those nasty things, still fun to catch though.
B Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
jstroup
Colorado

I know you mentioned getting it out raw, but...

If you are interested in getting the tail meat out intact, you could also parboil the tail in simmering water for a minute or two, then place (or shock) the tail in an bath of ice water. This will allow the tail to cook slightly and pull away from the shell...you might need to coax it out a little with a dull table knife if it sticks. The inside will still be raw for you to cook however you want, ie grill, poaching, saute.

Hope this helps!
jstroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
jmhardingjr

Kitchen shears.

Cut the membrane around the tail where it attaches to the head. Gently separate the tail and cut away the head and organs leaving the tail with its meat intact. Rinse if desired. Using a sharp knife, cut around the anus at the base of the tail and carefully pull out the intestine (vein).

Now use your kitchen shear/scissors to cut down the length of the tail to split it open (I do top and bottom). With the shell split, you can use a butter knife or teaspoon to coax the meat away from the shell.

Viola! A nice, intact chunk of lobster tail. Slice is up sashimi style, man. Ginger, ponzu, and touch of fresh jalapeno. Woo! Nothing better.

Good luck.

Jay
jmhardingjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
jstroup
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhardingjr View Post
Viola! A nice, intact chunk of lobster tail. Slice is up sashimi style, man. Ginger, ponzu, and touch of fresh jalapeno. Woo! Nothing better.
Jay
I agree, lobster sashimi is pretty amazing stuff!
jstroup is offline   Reply With Quote