Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
SlurrySeal

freediving and spearfishing on scuba charter

Anyone ever gone out a scuba charter to go spearfishing and freediving? I'm itching to get in some clearer waters and am thinking about jumping on a scuba charter.

Is it worth it?

-Lance
SlurrySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Diablo Loco

Re: freediving and spearfishing on scuba charter

I have not gone freediving off of the charters, but I have been scuba diving while others were freediving on the same boat. They said the scubadivers scare a lot of the big fish off, so it makes it a little harder. You might have to swim a lot farther away, to avoid the scuba divers. Just to clarify, that is what they told me. Try the Peace Boat out of Ventura. They have one of the best hunting charters, and they have incredible service. Oh, I almost forgot. They have a hottub on board. And I love spearfishing on scuba.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Nate Baker

I used to do it occasionally. This time of year it's fun, because there are lots of yellowtail around, and they aren't all that shy of scuba divers. Just swim a little distance away from the scuba guys. These days the skippers are hip to the whole freediving thing, and they'll give you tips for each spot.

It's a good idea to ask the charter organizer ahead of time if they mind a spearfisherman. I have never had anyone voice a concern, but it's good manners.

It can be a lot of fun, particularly if you can get to an outer island. It's great to take a long nap on the way back and when you get to the dock, just walk off and don't look back. No boat washing or ramp headaches.

Tip your deckhand.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
dpc
Dan Chua

Yeah it's worth it, I do it on our charters all the time. It's good to ask the charter master if it's okay, some people might be bummed. I've gotten plenty of fish with scuba divers around. I don't think scuba divers have a huge affect on the yellowtail if the fish are there. WSB is a different story though. Any chance you can get to go out to the Islands is worth it. Just swim a little bit further away.

Dan
dpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
mokaction
Larry Caragay

Don't do it.. call peacescuba.com and get on there freediving trips.. have fun.. And if you are over 18teen then you may try to ask if you can get on someones boat..

Larry

I would rather be a has been then a never was!!
mokaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

the trick is to be suited up on the stops, be first in the water and swim like hell up current along the kelp beds..once you get away from the noise, you can find fish...just make sure the crew and dive master knows your game plan in case they need to pick you up if you are way far away when they pick up anchor to move..a couple of free divers on scuba trips have been left behind when they thought everyone was back on the boat...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
White Shark
Fire up the grill!

Ask about the type of charters they do. A lot of SCUBA folks will give you the stinkeye for shooting a speargun or polespear instead of a camera. Screw that. I'm here to hunt dinner.

I don't practice "catch and release", I practice "catch and grease"...

Bene legere saecla vincere.

White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Calif_Diver

2nd the PEACE went out on it a few weeks ago grea tcrew and good eats, i didnt hunt much . but there were some fish to be had.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
Robbert

I have done this TONS of times. Key points are:
  • Let the charter master / store know your intentions
  • Make friends with the Captain and Divemasters
  • For Yellows - Bubble Blowers are not a problem
  • For Whites - Again not a problem as long as you move some distance away. As has been mentioned - get in early and move out a distance but be sure to let the DM know where you are going to be - They will appreciate it.
    In addition to the Peace - the Horizon is very Freediver friendly. Most of the crew are avid freedivers.

Going on Scuba trips really opens up a lot of options.

- Robbert
Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbert View Post

Going on Scuba trips really opens up a lot of options.

- Robbert
That reminds me... Sometimes scuba trips are better than freedive/spearfish charters. On freediving charters there are 25 guys all pursuing the same fish. With scuba charters, you've got the game fish to yourself.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Erik Sun

I went on the peace boat and it was a good time. Unfortunately when they went out, there were a TON of Scuba divers doing a Certification class, so of course we went to all the places that were calm...no lobster, no fish were supposed to be taken in these specific areas!

Oh well, was a great day diving!!

Erik

http://www.SUMORA.COM
SPIERRE FINS | RABITECH SPEARGUNS | WEIGHTBELTS | TOMMY BOTHA TUNA GEAR

Links:

California Fish & Food Thread

Sumora Dive Tools
Erik Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
SlurrySeal

Well I got on the boat and will be going out to San Clemente this weekend. I'm on the Sundiver and haven't got an answer to my e-mail about what's required for freediving. At the very least I'll bring a 'safety sausage', but I use a reel so I don't have a floatline or float.

I guess the brightside is that if a fish ties up deep I can always get some help from someone on scuba.

-Lance
SlurrySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #13
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurrySeal View Post
Well I got on the boat and will be going out to San Clemente this weekend. I'm on the Sundiver and haven't got an answer to my e-mail about what's required for freediving. At the very least I'll bring a 'safety sausage', but I use a reel so I don't have a floatline or float.

I guess the brightside is that if a fish ties up deep I can always get some help from someone on scuba.

-Lance

Your goal is to hit the water first, get away from the crowd, and work the water columns.

Bring a boogie board. You can go further and faster in current lying on top then being in the current. The crew should be amenable to you towing the surfboard around with a floatline tied to the gun's butt.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
hbdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurrySeal View Post

-Lance
Just to add to what everyone already said here, also coordinate how long to be in the water with the crew. If you are at a deeper spot, the scuba divers are going to make a shorter dive due to time limits at depth. This often means that you won't be able to spend as much time at a spot as you may want. What I usually do when freediving on a scuba charter is keep an eye on the boat. When the boat looks like it has a good number of divers back, I start heading back towards the boat.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdiver View Post
Just to add to what everyone already said here, also coordinate how long to be in the water with the crew. If you are at a deeper spot, the scuba divers are going to make a shorter dive due to time limits at depth. This often means that you won't be able to spend as much time at a spot as you may want. What I usually do when freediving on a scuba charter is keep an eye on the boat. When the boat looks like it has a good number of divers back, I start heading back towards the boat.
Great point. Also, I sometimes had difficulty communicating this concept to divemasters. I don't know if they still use the term, but back in the 80's and early 90's they had the "gate", a given length of time the gate on the rail was open allowing divers to enter the water. They would announce the gate was, say, 45 minutes, meaning you had 45 minutes to start your dive.

The challenge was getting some divemasters to visualize when they wanted us back on the boat. They were conditioned to timing the entry and letting each diver's air supply dictate when they would come back. Obviously not so with freedivers. It sometimes took some effort to get a specific response.