Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

We lost a great guy....

I was shocked to learn that John Schmidt passed away several days ago. John ( aka Screen Name on SB) was a good guy and well thought of in the spearfishing world.

I was lucky enough to call John a friend and dove with him on several occasions. The first time he dove on one of my boats, he showed up with a new speargun wrapped in Bubble Wrap for protection and the name just kinda stuck. He was ever more called Bubble Wrap by me and other guys on the boat.

Johns signature phrase was using the word Buddy, drawn out to buuuuuddddyyyy. You wouldn't see him for 6 months and he'd see you coming with that big smile of his and he'd stick out his hand and buuuuuddddyyyyy would come out next.

John was a serious spear fisher and won the SPO a few years ago in the prestigious Grouper category and also won the Snapper division in this years SPO, just a few weeks ago.

I'm going to miss him. My condolence's to his wife Lisa and all friends and family.

Dan

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: We lost a great guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
I was shocked to learn that John Schmidt passed away several days ago. John ( aka Screen Name on SB) was a good guy and well thought of in the spearfishing world.

I was lucky enough to call John a friend and dove with him on several occasions. The first time he dove on one of my boats, he showed up with a new speargun wrapped in Bubble Wrap for protection and the name just kinda stuck. He was ever more called Bubble Wrap by me and other guys on the boat.

Johns signature phrase was using the word Buddy, drawn out to buuuuuddddyyyy. You wouldn't see him for 6 months and he'd see you coming with that big smile of his and he'd stick out his hand and buuuuuddddyyyyy would come out next.

John was a serious spear fisher and won the SPO a few years ago in the prestigious Grouper category and also won the Snapper division in this years SPO, just a few weeks ago.

I'm going to miss him. My condolence's to his wife Lisa and all friends and family.

Dan
I was also very shocked to hear the news of John's passing. John was a good friend for well over 20 years. John dove with me on my commercial spearfishing boat many times and I really enjoyed diving with him. My sincere condolences to his wife Lisa, his son Noah, and all family and friends.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Very sad news.... John was always a good sport and as dedicated to spearfishing as anyone. His passing is a true loss to the diving community and my heart and prayers go out to his family and friends. I will certainly miss him.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

That's crazy. VERY sad to hear this. What happened??
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
That's crazy. VERY sad to hear this. What happened??
I am just passing on the few details I was given by a close friend of John's I spoke to today. I assume the following is somewhat accurate. I am sure more details will be available in the next few days.

Apparently John likely suffered a sudden heart attack. I was told that he was driving down I-275 in Sarasota and at some point pulled over on the shoulder and parked. It is assumed that he pulled over because he was not feeling well or possibly experiencing signs of a heart issue. The Highway Patrol later found him deceased in his truck.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 09-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
jfjf

Damn, that really makes me sad. John was a character. He could be rather serious and somewhat harsh, but he also always seemed to be enjoying himself on the water and wanted everyone else to as well.

I got to dive a few times with him on his boat over the years. He put me on some killer spots.

A few years ago he called me up out of the blue and invited me on the boat for the SPO Tournament. A crew member, Bing won with the biggest grouper. Those were some excellent times for all of us!

Hope it is OK to post two videos of diving from his boat. I think he liked the videos, especially the St. Pete Open one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMKxr_c9IM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCZXOEnUdjU
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Thanks for those videos, JFJF. 'Tis a damn shame. John was a real character that had a zest for life.
My heart goes out to his family.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
SpearTen
Team HeadHunter

Send a message via AIM to SpearTen Send a message via Yahoo to SpearTen

Very sad to hear of Johns passing. It was a pleasure having him on the boat and will fondly remember all that bubble wrap. My condolences to his family.

Ricky
Old 09-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Red Tide

Cheers to John. A great guy and a great friend.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
aue-mike

As with everyone else, I was gutted to hear of John's untimely passing. He was an absolute joy to be out on the water with. Just another reminder of how short and fragile life is. He will be missed.
My sincere condolences go out to his family.
Mike
aue-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #11
vertical limit

Sad to hear, rip, my prayers are with his family.
vertical limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #12
jfjf

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary...hmidt-John.php

John W. Schmidt Iii Obituary
Date of Birth:
Friday, May 13th, 1955
Date of Death:
Monday, September 7th, 2015
Funeral Home:
Curlew Hills Memory Gardens, Inc
curlewhills.com
1750 Curlew Road
(Between Belcher Rd. & CR 1)
Palm Harbor, Florida, UNITED STATES
Obituary:
John W. Schmidt III, 60, died unexpectedly on Sunday, September 7, 2015. He was born May 13, 1955 in Massachusetts to John W. Schmidt Jr., USMC, and Sylvia M. (Schmidt) Camburn. He was pre-deceased by his father, and brother, Frank Robert Schmidt. He is survived by beloved wife, Lisa (Leatherberry) Schmidt; son, Noah S. Schmidt (fiancee Elizabeth Serletic); granddaughter, Abigail Schmidt; brother, Michael F. Schmidt (Lisa B.); David E. Schmidt (Bessie M.); sister, Donna J. (Schmidt) Hickman (John M. Hickman, Jr.); parents, David R. and Sylvia M. (Schmidt) Camburn; various extended family, nieces and nephews.

John was an activist in the commercial fishing industry, was on the board of Seafood Harvesters of America, the Gulf Fishing Alliance and was a spokesperson for the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). John was a leader of the Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish shareholders Alliance. John also won many trophies in spearfishing tournaments. He was a Master Mechanic and was plant manager for USP Structural Company successor to Hughes Manufacturing, since 1980 until retiring to pursue his goals in commercial fishing. He was an inventor, and among his patented inventions are a double-barreled fishing spear gun and an automatic paint shaker. In his teen years he was a serious motorcycle racer, having won many racing trophies. He loved his family and loved to dance and enjoyed life to the fullest. John was beloved by all who knew him.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
apexpredator
Ace of Spades

The one and only Screen Name......sad to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends. EMIL

Didn't he coin the "hmmmmm" post....loved that
"The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise..who spends his days on the mountain and forests..who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst..for the love of nature..to visit the utmost refuge of beast and bird." Pease

Extreme Divers spearfishing club
apexpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #14
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Screen Name John was a cool cat. I spoke with him last year by phone and all seemed well in his life.

I saw his lift of the huge grouper at the SPO years ago and joy on his face.

May John rest in eternal peace. My condolences to his family and friends.

Happy spearing in heaven John! Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote