Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
DefiantEwok
DefiantEwok

Mako Wetsuit Size, Thickness and Fit Question

Hello Spearboard!

I live in Santa Cruz, CA and spearfish in local and northern CA waters. I have been spearfishing for about 3 years, just using a 4/3 surf wetsuit.

Question: I am looking to upgrade to a Mako open cell wetsuit. In water temperatures in the low 50s to mid 60s, what thickness would you recommend? Is 3mm too thin? 7mm too thick? 5mm?

Also, I am 6'2" and weigh 185. Not sure if I should get the L or XL suit - anyone own a Mako suit? How is the fit?

Thanks - I appreciate the help!

DefiantEwok
DefiantEwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Re: Mako Wetsuit Size, Thickness and Fit Question

For low 50s, and >2hrs of water time, then most likely 7mm (5mm would be borderline), but in mid 60s then def a 5mm. 3mm will be too thin.

For your size, I would size XL for the 5mm and maybe even XXL for that 7mm. Mako tends to run a slight tad small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
EroniusMeatball

Hey man, had your predicament a couple months ago and gave Mako a call. I'm 6' 175lbs and I got the ML. I dive 50-65 degree water and the 5mil is perfect for it. In general, I've always gotten cold pretty quickly but with the 5mil I'm in the water for around 2 hours and only get out because my feet and hands become very cold. Excellent, EXCELLENT, customer service. If you have any questions give them a call.
EroniusMeatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Burnz
People for Kaboat

I'm 6' 180 and have both the 3 and 5 mil in Large. I would go with the 5 mil and XL for you. You will not believe the difference between these Mako suits and your old surf suit!
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
Jersey Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantEwok View Post
Hello Spearboard!

I live in Santa Cruz, CA and spearfish in local and northern CA waters. I have been spearfishing for about 3 years, just using a 4/3 surf wetsuit.

Question: I am looking to upgrade to a Mako open cell wetsuit. In water temperatures in the low 50s to mid 60s, what thickness would you recommend? Is 3mm too thin? 7mm too thick? 5mm?

Also, I am 6'2" and weigh 185. Not sure if I should get the L or XL suit - anyone own a Mako suit? How is the fit?

Thanks - I appreciate the help!

DefiantEwok
I agree with Burnz, get the XL. I ordered their suits in 3 sizes before learning that. The Mako suits are great. I'm 5'-10.5" and 180, and although I started this season out in a 5mm Large, and it fit great, I standardized on the XL couple weeks ago. I was hoping to get down to my old weight of 165-170 over the winter, so first ordered a ML. . The XL still fits skin tight, it's just even easier to get into. The 5mm is plenty for those similar temps as ours here. Be sure to use the "suit slip" Mako sells. Never had open cell before these, but I'll never dive anything else now. Warmest suit I ever dove. Just got my 3mm in the XL Wednesday. Mako's sizing is off a bit if you ask me. I got their XL camo gloves a couple weeks ago, tried them on out of the box and immediately ordered the XXL. The XL gloves, and my first attempt at their suit in ML, have never been in the water. Never will be. I'd be up for selling them reduced for someone who fits. I just drug my feet since last fall and never returned it in time. Mako reduced their 3mm suit this month to $165, plus you can get an extra 10% off (wish someone told me) by signing up for a newsletter and getting a "Bro deal" coupon code, or something like that. In my opinion, you gotta have both 3mm & 5mm for that 15-20 degree range of temps. So get the 3mm while you're at it, if you can. I hope all this helps. BTW, what amount of weight do you use with that 4/3? With my first dive with the 5mm Mako (uncompressed), I initially used 21 lbs for a shallow 36 foot dive, and was neutral at 21 feet, negative below that. I'm not exactly what you would call "lean" composition, but was diving shallow that day and didn't want to struggle on the bottom. Since Yamamoto has 30% more air bubbles, I'm expecting the suit to compress over time, requiring less weight. Time will tell.

Last edited by Jersey Jim; 06-10-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Jersey Jim is offline   Reply With Quote