Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:40 AM   #16
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy
Re: Big Fish Pole Spear- Henley or Manny Puig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanEd View Post
Another factor is how long you make the rubber because this determines how far up the pole you are cocking it and the length of pole that will be sticking out in front of your cocking hand (more important than you might think).
To expand on that, I use a much thinner rubber but cut for a 6' pole, so I can stretch it a good 6-7' out of the 9' on the pole and still have the penetrating power of the momentum. I do this because it is much easier in the thick kelp to have a short front end and a long tail trailing behind you in the gaps that you create than it is to have even ends and have to guide your pole around all the kelp. You can use that short front end to push kelp out of the way much easier than a longer end as well, since you don't need to apply as much force to it and it is much stiffer at short distances.

It also comes in handy when Im peering into cracks and caves looking for fish hiding in the back.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #17
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Quote:
Don't spend your life like that, you know, thinking about it but never actually doing it.. You'll end up dying never having gotten laid.
didnt think twice about that
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

I bought the Manny Puig spear and immediately returned it when it arrived in the mail. I liked the idea behind his spear but at the time it was not what I want for around the jetties in NJ. I liked the way he tied his band though, but it was too thick, and a bitch to pull back. I want to try to make my own pole spear in the near future (i.e. when money is a little less tight), and I can find someone local (NJ or S. FL) that can machine some parts.

The Oceans In Action II video has a segment in Bermuda and the Bahamas and I saw a few guys using slip tips on their pole spears, and they seemed to work pretty well. Why the advice to not use one?

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
The Oceans In Action II video has a segment in Bermuda and the Bahamas and I saw a few guys using slip tips on their pole spears, and they seemed to work pretty well. Why the advice to not use one?
If you shoot a fish and it rocks up, you can't get much leverage to get it out with a slip-tip. You can pretty much only pull straight out and pray that the fish lets go of its hold. With a fixed tip, you can use the length of the pole for leverage and you can use that leverage in all directions, such as working it towards one side or the other where there may be some more wiggle room to loosen the fish.

If you're going to be shooting fish that are not relating to the structure or do not have the tendency to rock up then I'd say a slip-tip is fine. If you're going to be shooting fish that like to rock up like grouper, why would you make it harder to retrieve the fish in the eventual case that it does rock up? That, at least, is my rationale as to why I use a fixed tip for that bottom reef fish oriented polespearing.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

I am just going from what I saw. The only pole spears I have used have been a 4' 3point gig type spear, and 5.5' 5 prong trident for togs and triggers in NJ when I started.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #21
mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
I am just going from what I saw. The only pole spears I have used have been a 4' 3point gig type spear, and 5.5' 5 prong trident for togs and triggers in NJ when I started.
I know, I was just answering your question about the the advice to not use a slip-tip.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
fishpkt

Location: currently the north, getting ready to head back to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
If you shoot a fish and it rocks up, you can't get much leverage to get it out with a slip-tip. You can pretty much only pull straight out and pray that the fish lets go of its hold. With a fixed tip, you can use the length of the pole for leverage and you can use that leverage in all directions, such as working it towards one side or the other where there may be some more wiggle room to loosen the fish.

If you're going to be shooting fish that are not relating to the structure or do not have the tendency to rock up then I'd say a slip-tip is fine. If you're going to be shooting fish that like to rock up like grouper, why would you make it harder to retrieve the fish in the eventual case that it does rock up? That, at least, is my rationale as to why I use a fixed tip for that bottom reef fish oriented polespearing.
I've almost broken poles trying to get leverage to retrieve a holed up grouper. What I was told by one of my dad's friends and have been doing for the last couple of years now is grabbing the grouper by the eyes. If you pinch a holed up grouper with your thumb and pointer finger right between the eyes he'll immediately give in and allow you to pull him out and usually not even struggle until you let him go. This method works like a charm, note you are not actually gouging out his eyes, but grabbing the bone near the front of the head and holding that.
fishpkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
Rifreediver
Skitz

i use the sea stinger pole spear with the slip tip and i have yet to actually have a tautog use it.. either i stone them or they are on the actually pole that thing has quite a bit of power behind it with a custom band.... when the bass come in
then ill let you know... i have got some with a 3 prong before... cant wait to see how it holds up
Rifreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #24
polespearpaul
shallow water sniper

I like the cheap fiberglass polespears (they work good). But my favorite is my 1 piece jbl (if you get a jbl get an extra band and double band it) I like the jbl because its easy to hold,cheap,lite, and deadly. just get a 1 piece jbl!! If I was to get a more expensive one I would get a Ray Odor 1 piece. they are only like $40 for a 6 footer.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #25
Tedbudion

Ed and Aaron,

I apologize for not thanking you earlier: I missed your replies 4 months ago. Thanks!
Tedbudion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
Sbrent86

Any one know where to get a Henley pole spear slip tip I want a couple extras just incase
Sbrent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #27
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Shafts will get destroyed before tips. Depending on stay and size of fish and how you are at playing the fish once speared will determine what extras you should bring. For most week long Bahama trips, I would advise an extra shaft, slip-tip, cable, and band.

I know Florida Freedivers used to and may still carry Henley spears.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #28
KillerKanuck
Dr. Bluewater

Crist are the most durable out there but pricey.
KillerKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #29
Sbrent86

Anyone know if the jbl slip tip fits on the Henley pole spear I can't find anyone that sells the Henley slip tip anywhere I'd love a couple extra just incase for those just incases and flfreedivers don't as far as I can see on there site thanks brent please let me know thanks for all the help I always get some
Sbrent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

JBL won't fit without a custom adapter and is far too lightweight. Call them don't wait for e-mail response or trust websites. Call ffl freedivers, Austin's or here http://www.yachtdiver.com/mobi/ they sale on ebay or here http://www.marineproducts.net/produc...le-Spears.html the company that makes them.

Last edited by azspearo; 09-13-2014 at 07:53 PM.
azspearo is offline   Reply With Quote