Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
dukhuntr1991

Bringing fish back from the Bahamas

Got a trip planned in a couple weeks. Can anyone give me a quick overview of what we can legally take each day and bring back in regards to hogfish, snapper, and grouper? Thanks
dukhuntr1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Unda The Sea

Re: Bringing fish back from the Bahamas

I just came back this last weekend from GBI. The rule states your allowed 60lbs of Snapper Grouper. Just google the regulations. We didn't have any issues and came up a little short on our limit. Get the local boaters option card - Small vessel registration (US Customs and Border patrol) Makes life very easy to check back in when you return. Best of luck! OH - FYI - no tanks or guns - one breath and and a band is all you need.
Unda The Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Nano

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/r...ional/bahamas/
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
dukhuntr1991

Thank you. Hopefully we have to stop at 60!
dukhuntr1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
skinneej

It's not a daily limit. It's a possession limit, so even if you stay in the Bahamas 10 days, you are only ever allowed to have 60lbs of bottom fish on your BOAT at any given time (i.e. no "stocking up"). It's super easy to hit 60 lbs. It's not 60 lbs per person, it's per boat...

Also, when you come back into US waters, you are restricted to US regulations. For example, you could not bring a nassau grouper or conch back in.

See the regulations that NANO posted? Print it out... Don't worry about what other rumors you hear. I think 80% of the people who think they know the regulations do not, so don't base your actions off of what you heard from someone else. The link above states the laws very clearly...
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Unda The Sea

Skinneej - I agree with you and your correct - per boat not person. it was the first time i went and it was hard to know what was right or wrong. We def made sure we stayed under the limits cause it is hard to determine what is what on these sites and i didn't need issues. No one helps, or really knows - or worse they think they know and they don't at all.
Unda The Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
skinneej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unda The Sea View Post
Skinneej - I agree with you and your correct - per boat not person. it was the first time i went and it was hard to know what was right or wrong. We def made sure we stayed under the limits cause it is hard to determine what is what on these sites and i didn't need issues. No one helps, or really knows - or worse they think they know and they don't at all.
Yep. Also good tip about the local boater's option for people taking their own vessels across. Piece of cake and free.

They do have the regulations written on the back of the cruising permit (fishing license), but the wording was a bit funny last time I was there and it only has local Bahamas law, not Florida law on there. Most people think that they can bring whatever they want back from the Bahamas, but it is not the case. I've even heard of people buying hundreds of pounds of stone crabs and conchs and say, "As long as we keep our receipt, we will be legal". That is also hearsay and I have yet to see a law that allows this.

Also: When you get into customs, you are supposed to declare that you want to spear fish. They will actually write on your cruising permit "spearing OK".
Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Boynton Andy

It appears the regulations have changed. Can anybody find where it states you have to keep to the 20 fish or 60 pounds? What I see is that you can only bring back fish in season and daily bag limits must be maintained.
Boynton Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
skinneej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boynton Andy View Post
It appears the regulations have changed. Can anybody find where it states you have to keep to the 20 fish or 60 pounds? What I see is that you can only bring back fish in season and daily bag limits must be maintained.
Those are the laws in the Bahamas last I was there. It was written on the back of the fishing permit.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
clambake 50

BUMP as though regs here weren't hard enough, the bahams is another big one. I'm bumping this thread because I plan to visit Bimini soon and would like to know what are the legalities of bringing fish back to Miami, any help in this area?
clambake 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
Boynton Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambake 50 View Post
BUMP as though regs here weren't hard enough, the bahams is another big one. I'm bumping this thread because I plan to visit Bimini soon and would like to know what are the legalities of bringing fish back to Miami, any help in this area?
Are you flying or coming back by boat?
Boynton Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
Archerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boynton Andy View Post
Are you flying or coming back by boat?
What’s the deal if you’re flying? What changes in the regs?
Archerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
techspearo

@dukhuntr1991 did you hit those limits? I would have love to see what you brought back from the trip (granted it was back in '14).
Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
mikido

freeze it, wrap in your wetsuit, checked luggage. will stay frozen.
mikido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikido View Post
freeze it, wrap in your wetsuit, checked luggage. will stay frozen.
Out of interest - how long of a flight have you done this with?

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote