Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
SpearDiverTampa
Controversial User

Send a message via AIM to SpearDiverTampa
Split Fins

I am looking to buy some new fins. Split fins seem to be getting great reviews by rodales, but it seems like most of the people I spearfish with use pretty big fins, like the big ones beuchat and riffe make. Does anyone spearfish with splitfins? Any new fin suggestions or testimonials would be really helpful. Thanks alot. Chris
SpearDiverTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
Steel Shootin'

I've speared in split fins. I've used the Atomic split fins and I like them. For that matter, I like splits better than the big Cressi fins. I'm getting ready to try some scubapro twin jets, which are smaller. I don't like real big fins while spearing, although I know a lot of guys do so they can fly up an down the ledge. However, tests indicate that the splits perform as well as the tradional fins, but with less stress and better SAC.

To be honest, it is my experience that trying to describe fins to someone is like trying to explain the color "red" to a blind person. Fins are just one of those things you've got to try yourself and see if you like. If I see someone with interesting fins on the boat, and they're sitting out a dive, I'll ask if I can use them. Good luck, and don't be bashful about mouching someone's fins for a dive.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

I love my grey scuba pro twin jets(color dictates buoyancy)they require minimal effort,but their best attribute is definatly manueverability.
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
tarsaltramp

I've used Oceanic V-12 split fins and the Tusa splits. They are very efficient (as advertised and proven). Efficient, in this regard, is the least amount of energy used to do the same work. - See Rodales tests in 2001 year. But they are slow compared to long blades. And try to keep up with anexperienced diver using long blades. It won't happen. I use my Oceanics when Iam diving for bugs in the Keys or traveling out of country for some observation only dives. But when spearfishing on scuba or snokel, long blades are the long term proven leader. My original Dessault longblades that I got in the early 70's where great but the carbon composites of 2003 are more powerful and they produce more rebound (the stored energy that the fin stores, that snap after you finish your kick cycle).

The long blade fins are stronger and get you to the fish faster.
They can also be gently fluttered to mover closer to a fish with out moving much of your body; therefore, you don't spook the fish you are slowly advancing toward.

They work you harder and they will get your legs in hunting shape! I have been spearfishing for over 30 years and many times the quick speed in which I got to a shot fish made a difference in getting the fish, or not. If you go to one of the big boy spearfishing tournaments and ask some of the good shooters what they use, you will find out that @ 99% of the time they use long blades. These aren't just good shooters, they have been diving a while and they have tried them all. Time truly is a good teacher.

I used to use the Cressi long blades, but now days there are some with more snap, speed and the blade replacement feature is sweet. The speed and strength of the long blades are definitely needed when fighting a strong full moon current in the Elbow or just pulling against a 50lb A.J. on the Long Island. The Beuchat Elite and Competitions fins are great and so are the Picasso Black Teams and the Riffes.

If you want a soft comfortable foot pocket, get the Beuchats, if you like a stiff foot pocket, get the Picassos or Riffes.

One last comment, if you run across any Tigulio longblades, run, run, run. They are weak, cheap and you won't be able to give them away.
tarsaltramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
slippery chicken

I've got the black scuba pro twin jets and love them. Use to get sore ankles after two days of diving, not any more. They take no effort to kick, but are not as fast as longer traditional fins. If you take the slow approach while slingin steel it is the only way to swim. If you listen to spear one at all you will know that nothing done while shooting is supposed to be in a rapid motion anyway. The black fins are the stiffest of the twin jets getting softer goes to grey then yellow. trust me you will like them, if you want to try them out we should get together and go diving together one day for a demo.
slippery chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Steel Shootin'

I bought the black twin jets, but have not been able to use them yet. If the forecast holds-up, I'll be trying them in the Grounds on Thursday. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and the control issue was a big reason I wanted to get them. You can get fairly contorted around the ledge trying to retrieve a fish, or get a shot off. Looking forward to putting them to the test.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Reef Raider
Free Shafter

I got the S.P. twin jet too it was money well spent for me .
Old 01-13-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
SpearDiverTampa
Controversial User

Send a message via AIM to SpearDiverTampa
SOLD!!!

Well its settled. I will soon be the proud owner of a pair of scuba pro twin jet black fins. Thanks for all the feedback.---Chris
SpearDiverTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:26 AM   #9
tarsaltramp

Glad you got what you want. The Scuba Pro Splits (technically called Propeller Fins) are sweet. I borrowed a pair from a mate hailing from California, last February while diving the Fujikawa Maru in Truk. Only borrowed them for this one dive. The current was nil and the foot size was a Medium so I dove them without booties and the soft foot pocket left no discomfort.

I just wanted to comment on the "everything should be slow" technique. I know that Spear One preaches "don't move quick, don't act or give off the presence of being a predator". And he is right but not in all circumstances. When you shoot larger fish, once the shot is made and you didn't roll em (I wish I could everytime). Getting loaded fast and close enough to get off a finishing shot or reach up in the ledge or cave to poke the spine and pull out it paramount. Maybe you should ask Spear One what type he uses. I would be curious. I am sure he would help you out with that info.

Of course, this is just my beliefs - I hope that's what this forum is about. But its not stringers of 15 to 20 pounders that I get in a season that stay in my long term memory. However, its the occasional 50 pound plus gags or Carbos or 100 l.b.s A.J.s that I might get a chance at that I plan for. (I know, I know, don't end with a preposition - sorry).

Be safe and good hunting.
tarsaltramp is offline   Reply With Quote