Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
byrd

Bug Report Por Favor - Marathon

So, how does it look out there? Looking forward to some island time

We are headed to Marathon this weekend for two weeks. We have stayed in Summerland for the past 5 years, but the wife and kids wanted something different this year, like more restaurants, beaches, and stores instead of diving, spearing, and fishing all the time... I know, sounds crazy doesnt it

Since I got outvoted, have little to no experience in Marathon, and absolutely no spots up there, can anyone give me some pointers? Not asking for #'s btw. Just some advice, please.

In the lower keys, we dove channels that averaged 20'-30' with tanks instead of competeing with all the snorklers in the shallows out at Content. Are there any deeper channels worth diving around Marathon, maybe north of 7-mile?

We also dove some bridges with some pretty bad current around Summerland and always had great success. I assume you can hit the bridge supports around 7-mile as well if the current isnt too bad. How deep is it under the bridges?

Thanks for any help
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Jankglass

Re: Bug Report Por Favor - Marathon

Vis has been poor lately. Hit the rocks along the bridges very early next Wednesday and you will get your limit. Just don't show up late or it will be slim pickings.
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
Vis has been poor lately. Hit the rocks along the bridges very early next Wednesday and you will get your limit. Just don't show up late or it will be slim pickings.
Will do! BTW, any advice for Thursday, lol!!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
CharNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
I haven't done a mini season since about 2004, but I just came back from spearing out of Marathon.

The depth varies under the bridge, it can be ankle/knee deep, or 60+ feet at Moser's Channel. As far as the bridge supports, the old bridge is usually a safer bet, there's always a couple on each one of those columns. However, the newer bridge sometimes has metal wraps on the columns (looks like the column is sitting in a big steel drum under water) and you'll see nothing but antennae sticking out all the way around. No idea if they're all legal size, but most usually are. Only a few columns have these wraps though so it's hit or miss on locating them. Most of these depths are no more than 10-12'.
CharNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
sway21

I am a newbie to Marathon going on 3 years now. People do the 7 mile bridge but it has to be on slack tide because the current is RIPPING. Slim picking though if you get there late.

Some people dive out near the patch reefs but I have not tried that

Unfortunately i think you will have to pay your dues and troll around looking for spots near the bamboo banks and beyond in 8 ft of water or so. Lots of boats, but lots of spots. Some good some tiny but you never know how many lobsters you will find. Lots of shorts last year.
sway21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
CharNiner

If you do go under the bridge when it's not a slack tide about the only place you'll be able to hit is the back side of the old bridge supports. It creates an eddy on the back side for about 15-20' so if you float along it and then swing yourself to the back side you can dive on the back of it for lobster. Usually a couple are on each one under the ledge of the base of the support.
CharNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Jankglass

Quote:
In my experience it's all it nothing on wensday , between all the poaching and people picking over the nice lobster there's not much left. Unless you know some nice patches. It amazes me how many wrung short tails I see a year.
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
It amazes me how many wrung short tails I see a year.
That is a shame... Thanks for all the info everyone!!
Old 07-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
WTpearson

I'm headed down Saturday for the week, myself. Bringing a few family members who aren't experienced divers. But, even if I'm with my buddies who are, I run out to one of the large grass banks on the gulf side (the further you get from shore, the less traffic and the more bugs on your spots there will be).

The day, or two, before the season, get out and run around on the banks where its 6-10' deep. Look for white patches in the dark water. The white patches will tend to be exposed limestone bottom with little ledges and holes. That's where the lobster hide. You can find plenty of spots to hit if you run around doing that for a few hours. I wouldn't troll with people in the water, just have a couple divers ready to jump in, when you see a sandy patch, pull up about 50' away and let your divers in to check it out. That way you can spear any fish that are on the spot and don't scare them away with the boat.

The other way to go is stick really close to shore, deal with the murky water, troll people behind the boat. Not many are open for "braving" 10-15' vis (which is common in Naples where I'm from). You can also hit the little finger channels between the sandbars that pop up as you head out on the gulf side, but, again, you're dealing with murky water.

Stay away from the public numbers, they'll be overrun. Regardless, it isn't hard to find the bugs, just put in your hours to find the spots beforehand and get to your top few spots early the day of mini season.

I saw a lot of shorts last year, hoping this year will yield a better showing.
WTpearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTpearson View Post
I'm headed down Saturday for the week, myself. Bringing a few family members who aren't experienced divers. But, even if I'm with my buddies who are, I run out to one of the large grass banks on the gulf side (the further you get from shore, the less traffic and the more bugs on your spots there will be).

The day, or two, before the season, get out and run around on the banks where its 6-10' deep. Look for white patches in the dark water. The white patches will tend to be exposed limestone bottom with little ledges and holes. That's where the lobster hide. You can find plenty of spots to hit if you run around doing that for a few hours. I wouldn't troll with people in the water, just have a couple divers ready to jump in, when you see a sandy patch, pull up about 50' away and let your divers in to check it out. That way you can spear any fish that are on the spot and don't scare them away with the boat.

The other way to go is stick really close to shore, deal with the murky water, troll people behind the boat. Not many are open for "braving" 10-15' vis (which is common in Naples where I'm from). You can also hit the little finger channels between the sandbars that pop up as you head out on the gulf side, but, again, you're dealing with murky water.

Stay away from the public numbers, they'll be overrun. Regardless, it isn't hard to find the bugs, just put in your hours to find the spots beforehand and get to your top few spots early the day of mini season.

I saw a lot of shorts last year, hoping this year will yield a better showing.
Thanks for all the information. I did the "look for white spots" a number of years ago, but prefer to dive with tanks in deeper water if possible. we have no issues with the 10'-15' vis in channels and around bridges.

We are leaving in the morning, so I will have a few days to scout around.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
WTpearson

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. I did the "look for white spots" a number of years ago, but prefer to dive with tanks in deeper water if possible. we have no issues with the 10'-15' vis in channels and around bridges.

We are leaving in the morning, so I will have a few days to scout around.
The gulf side of Marathon is all pretty shallow and vis is always around 10'-20'. The bridges can be productive, I always freedive a few on my way in just to see if I can pick off some stragglers at the end of the day. Some of the channels get deeper than 20', but there isn't a ton of deep water unless you go ocean side. I've done a lot of lobstering on the ocean side in the past, having only focused on the gulf in the last couple years, and I've always found my spots from aimlessly trolling across low relief, rocky areas in 15-35'.

If you don't have spots on the ocean side, it will take a few days of trolling to find a few spots to hit come Wednesday. Which is why I recommend the gulf side, its easier to find spots, and once you find them, the lobster are highly centralized.

Good luck out there, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
WTpearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #12
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTpearson View Post
The gulf side of Marathon is all pretty shallow and vis is always around 10'-20'. The bridges can be productive, I always freedive a few on my way in just to see if I can pick off some stragglers at the end of the day. Some of the channels get deeper than 20', but there isn't a ton of deep water unless you go ocean side. I've done a lot of lobstering on the ocean side in the past, having only focused on the gulf in the last couple years, and I've always found my spots from aimlessly trolling across low relief, rocky areas in 15-35'.

If you don't have spots on the ocean side, it will take a few days of trolling to find a few spots to hit come Wednesday. Which is why I recommend the gulf side, its easier to find spots, and once you find them, the lobster are highly centralized.

Good luck out there, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
madadder

I'm desk bound and looking forward to some pics!
madadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
missionmagnet

Me and the family just left from down there a couple of weeks ago, so If you go straight out from Key Colony to the Eastern edge of the first set of patches in 15-20ft we saw plenty of keeper lobs. Shootable fish were a different story... The vis was 50ft horizontal one day and 15 ft the next, so just mark relief and bounce the patches. Good luck
missionmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionmagnet View Post
Me and the family just left from down there a couple of weeks ago, so If you go straight out from Key Colony to the Eastern edge of the first set of patches in 15-20ft we saw plenty of keeper lobs. Shootable fish were a different story... The vis was 50ft horizontal one day and 15 ft the next, so just mark relief and bounce the patches. Good luck
Thanks for the info. I assume you are talking about the ocean side. Luckily, we will have a few days to check everything out. Tomorrow morning cant come quick enough!!