Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Marathon Spearo

Where to dive in Australia

First of all, let me say I'm not looking for spots, gps coordinates, or any of your honeyholes for that matter. I'm a 20 year old native Floridian who's looking into moving to Australia with a working holiday visa. Preferably I would like to live somewhere on the coast where the fishing and spearfishing is the finest. My question is, what are the best cities/towns around the coast of Australia that offer the best combination of work and play? Maybe something like a renowned fishing coast that is also a popular tourist destination for those who want to experience the best of what the sea of Australia has to offer. Any input/advice would be much appreciated.

Marc
Marathon Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
nigelr

Re: Where to dive in Australia

Brisbane, Perth and Darwin as far as cities go.
Being larger population centres they would be more likely to offer work opportunities.
nigelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Marathon Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
Brisbane, Perth and Darwin as far as cities go.
Being larger population centres they would be more likely to offer work opportunities.
Thanks. Any idea how the fishing fairs from city to city? For example, there are multiple big cities on the coast of Florida where fishing isn't bad, but a few in particular (Key West, Pensacola) where it is absolutely phenomenal. Ideally I'd like to find myself working/diving in one of those types of cities
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
qleem
Al

Mornington peninsula in Melbourne. Not got the blue water rep that the west coast does, but you have the advantage of being able to dive port phillip, western port, and the back. And I reckon Melbourne has the best work/life in the world
qleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Marathon Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qleem View Post
Mornington peninsula in Melbourne. Not got the blue water rep that the west coast does, but you have the advantage of being able to dive port phillip, western port, and the back. And I reckon Melbourne has the best work/life in the world
Good to know, thank you. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to knowledge of Australian seascape, what sort of terrain would I be expecting to dive there? I am an avid freediving spearfisherman and have only recently taken to scuba, although I much prefer freediving. Are there reefs on the coast of Melbourne that are in the range of 20-60ft? And how does the visibility fare in this location?