Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Watergator

Red Snapper

NOAA just announced an increase in Red Snapper Quota and set the 2013 recreational season. The season opens on June 1st in the federal waters off all states. Mississippi and Alabama have a 34 day season. Texas has a 17 day season. Louisiana has a 24 day season. Florida has a 26 day season.

Apparently the difference in seasons comes from the difference in the seasons for state waters. Florida has a 44 day season for state waters, which reduced our allotment for federal waters. This will sound like a gripe (and partially is), but I want to know what the farthest east/south people have seen or caught red snapper in state waters. I know that where we leave from, we are well into federal waters before seeing any reds.

I plan to write to both FWC and GOMFMC, but I want to have some more information before doing so.
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
tshark
Shooting & Stringing!

Re: Red Snapper

Here in the sarasota area 30 miles out is the closest i have seen & that is rare!!!! I have never seen one in state waters here
Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Congratulations to all who cheered, whined and supported the state overiding federal regulations! Give your favorite fishing rights organization that promoted this a call and let them know how thats working out for you!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Congratulations to all who cheered, whined and supported the state overiding federal regulations! Give your favorite fishing rights organization that promoted this a call and let them know how thats working out for you!!!
It may not have helped us in Central or south Florida concerning ARS but I still think its a step in the right direction for the states to take a stand against the Feds/NOAA in fisheries management.
C
Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
smilinmatt
Matt Brueckner

While the State not being in compliance may have cut a few days from this year's harvest, there was a much bigger issue for the State making that "statement". At the FWC meeting where the 44 day season was approved, NMFS gave preliminary results of the new report that showed red snapper are recovering. In that report, five years out, when red snapper are fully recovered, they said that we can expect anywhere from 19-60 day seasons (those are the numbers best as I recollect). As we've seen from their math, we know that when the average red snapper hitting the docks is over 10#, we're going to be nowhere near the upper range of the season.

In summary, NMFS was saying that after red snapper are fully recovered, we can hope that they won't continue shortening our month-long season. The 44-day season FWC approved wasn't a misguided attempt to lengthen the season throughout Florida, it was a statement that they're sick of the fuzzy math that shows fish stocks improving, yet taking more away from fishermen.
smilinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
It may not have helped us in Central or south Florida concerning ARS but I still think its a step in the right direction for the states to take a stand against the Feds/NOAA in fisheries management.
C
Please expand on the reasoning why that would be such a good step in the right direction.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
FredT

Any time junk science is used by government to justify regulations any push back by citizens/states is a good thing if only to draw attention to the deceptive methods used by NMFS.
On the other hand the historical population and distribution patterns are dwarfed by the current populations, even as another branch of the same department is killing snapper wholesale and yanking snapper habitat out of the water as fast as they can.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
pissingoffpeta

Yeah ironic how I'm seeing fewer ARS over the last few years and their season gets extended.
pissingoffpeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinmatt View Post
While the State not being in compliance may have cut a few days from this year's harvest, there was a much bigger issue for the State making that "statement". At the FWC meeting where the 44 day season was approved, NMFS gave preliminary results of the new report that showed red snapper are recovering. In that report, five years out, when red snapper are fully recovered, they said that we can expect anywhere from 19-60 day seasons (those are the numbers best as I recollect). As we've seen from their math, we know that when the average red snapper hitting the docks is over 10#, we're going to be nowhere near the upper range of the season.

In summary, NMFS was saying that after red snapper are fully recovered, we can hope that they won't continue shortening our month-long season. The 44-day season FWC approved wasn't a misguided attempt to lengthen the season throughout Florida, it was a statement that they're sick of the fuzzy math that shows fish stocks improving, yet taking more away from fishermen.
What scientific research is the state using to make its decision to manage the fishery. Don't get me wrong, I am most certain the "best available" is far less than reliable or conprehensive, I just don't think any of the States have provided any amount of scientific data to challenge the current assessment.... bogus or not.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
kmoose
Team Headhunter

There was talk by one congressman about pushing a bill to move the state boundry to the 20 fathom line. Properly managed I would be a proponent of such as it would allow for a more regional look at the fisheries. Unfortunately the hopes for such died as the congressman anounced his resignation yesterday.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
I hate to tell you Kenny, but it's working out pretty damn good over here. On our way back in last week, we stopped at a near shore rig to pick up our 3 rs per man limits. 7 of us jumped in, and at 40' we smoked 21, 10-15pounders. One of the guys shot 2 in one shot, they were so thick.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Hired Gun

Will work out good for the guys in the panhandle as well.......plenty of snapper several miles off the beach. Can't even get a bait down to the trigger or grouper.

Here in Central FL it won't matter a bit........
"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol View Post
I hate to tell you Kenny, but it's working out pretty damn good over here. On our way back in last week, we stopped at a near shore rig to pick up our 3 rs per man limits. 7 of us jumped in, and at 40' we smoked 21, 10-15pounders. One of the guys shot 2 in one shot, they were so thick.
Well for about 95% of the Gulf coast of Florida we stand by while our quota goes in your cooler. NMF and NOAA didn't do that to us.... That anal lube was applied by the states participating in a crank measuring contest with the feds only to shorten our season. Great Job fishing rights groups, you were able to make things even more unfair!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
sharpshooter

So, how deep was the near shore rig to the bottom?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Quote:
Well for about 95% of the Gulf coast of Florida we stand by while our quota goes in your cooler. NMF and NOAA didn't do that to us.... That anal lube was applied by the states participating in a crank measuring contest with the feds only to shorten our season. Great Job fishing rights groups, you were able to make things even more unfair!
It's not about YOUR ARS season Kenny. I'm looking at the bigger picture of the broken Federal system. If the states become more proactive and push back against the Fed, I'm all for it. Even if it affects my limits in the interim.
We need state regulations and better scientific data collection methods. I truly believe the Feds are only concerned about tax revenues, not the fish nor the fisherman.

C