Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
LookPointShoot

Cool site about local fish

I just found this website. I don't know how I never came upon it before, but for those who haven't seen it, it has a TON of info about our local fish. I mean a TON.

http://www.starthrower.org/products/DDDB/column.htm
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
unkabonka

Re: Cool site about local fish

yeah but the guy's a freakin fish hippie and ardent MLPA advocate

Quote:
I don't believe anyone who knows me has ever accused me of being afraid to take a controversial position on conservation issues. I firmly believe such reserves are necessary to ensure well-functioning natural ecosystems AND the availability of fish for future generations to enjoy, or catch. While I oppose fishing (and hunting) for "sport," I have no problem with those who do so for food and follow legal restrictions. I have no sympathy for those fishers who claim their rights are being denied if less than 100% of the ocean is open to them. As a "no take" SCUBA diver since about 1975 and a marine ecologist, their assumption denies me and others our "right" to a part of the ocean that is protected and suitable for education and research activities. Since we are looking for protection for only 20-30% of State waters, this leaves 70-80% for fishing and other extractive uses. I have to ask, just who is being unreasonable? Maybe we should leave it to the wisdom of Solomon and divide California waters 50-50?
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Slug

"I have no sympathy for those fishers who feel their rights are being denied" end quote. I alway wanted to show my kids what I grew up with .... I wish i could show him what no sympathy looks like.
Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
LookPointShoot

oh I had no idea.. well he can have his stupid opinion, still a cool site
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
shafe

it is a good site, thanks for sharing LPS. good to learn about fish behavior.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
MEH

Seems like while he doesn't spearfish himself he doesn't blindly hate those that do as long as it's for food not sport. Though I don't necessarily agree with him I respect his seemingly well thought out stance. Quote from 058 Why I'm not against Fishing:

"Most of you who read this column are well aware that I am a fairly strict conservationist. It has been about 25 years since I last speared a fish, harvested an abalone or caught a lobster. Now I simply take their pictures when I'm under water. I do not like to dive where hunters (spear fishermen) are present for two reasons. One hunter once speared me, I assume mistaking me for a black sea bass (they weren't protected back then). He wasn't a very good shot, striking my thumb instead of my massive chest (or is it stomach?). I also don't like to be near speared fish since they occasionally attract certain species that might take more than a casual interest in me!

However, I'm not against those who do take seafood as long as they follow the appropriate fishing laws. Some of my fellow "kelp huggers" wonder why I take that position. Essentially it is because I think we have become far too removed from nature and the sources of our existence in this urbanized, technological world. It is important to reconnect with the natural world to better understand our important links to it. Catching fish or other seafood, hunting and vegetable gardening are all ways to do this."
MEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Avenues

Regardless of his stance, great resource for those looking to identify local fish. Thanks for posting.
Avenues is offline   Reply With Quote