Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
el_pedorro
Doug Reynolds

Re: Ocean Cove Specie Scramble

I'll be there, in spite of the apparent less-than-ideal conditions that are forecast (wind).

At least we'll all be on an even footing.
el_pedorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #17
Lino
209-202-DIVE

Send a message via ICQ to Lino Send a message via MSN to Lino Send a message via Yahoo to Lino

Me and my better half are going.
Lino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
el_pedorro
Doug Reynolds

I'm leaning heavily towards paddling north out of Ft. Ross.

Anyone like-minded, and willing to put up with my company...pm me.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

Man I wish I could make this event.
Brock Kennedy and the Scuba Knights are good people and the new format looks like a lot of fun.

With the wind blowing, it should be a cold dive day for sure, but I bet the incoming tide will bring in some excellent viz.
Good luck guys and take lots of pics.
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
ApneaAddict

Most recent forecasts are saying 4-5ft swell and 7-12 kts of wind... sounds pretty darn good to me. And with the tide coming in from 10:30am to 6pm, should have the best possible vis/fish conditions. All of the forces are lining up to make it pretty epic... although, if you really want epic, according to the extended forecast, Tuesday is the day to head out. This is the Fort Ross report from NOAA:

Tonight: NNW wind 7 to 16 kt. Mostly clear. W swell 4 feet at 8 seconds. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Saturday: WNW wind 7 to 10 kt. Sunny. WNW swell 4 feet at 9 seconds. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday Night: WNW wind 5 to 10 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Mostly clear. NW swell 5 feet at 9 seconds. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Sunday: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Sunny. NW swell 4 feet. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Sunday Night: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly clear. WNW swell 3 feet. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Monday: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming W 5 to 7 kt in the morning. Sunny. WNW swell 3 feet. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Monday Night: W wind around 7 kt becoming NW in the evening. Mostly clear. WNW swell 3 feet. Wind waves around 2 ft.

Tuesday: WNW wind 6 to 12 kt. Sunny. WNW swell 2 feet. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Tuesday Night: W wind 8 to 12 kt becoming ENE after midnight. Mostly clear. WNW swell 2 feet. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Only thing I don't like is the fairly short period...
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
Fis_Hunter

Sounds good wish I could go!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #22
Abdvrob

Wish I could go too. This looks like its going to be a fun day. Conditions are looking good for it.

Rob
Abdvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

last minute bump,
Have fun guys/gals and dive safe.
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #24
el_pedorro
Doug Reynolds

Hats off to the Scuba Knights for presenting this "Specie Scramble". It turned out to be a pretty nice calm sunny day after all the doom-and-gloom weather reports predicting wind. There were no whitecaps till after noon.

The five fish whose names were pulled from the hat at the 7:00am check in and the points assigned to them were:

1. Blue rock fish, 5 points
2. Kelp Bass (rock fish), 12 points
3. Greenling, 12 points
4. Striped Perch, 12 points
5. Vermilion rock fish, 15 points

I paddled north from Ft. Ross till I came into the odor shadow of a bunch of Stellar Sea Lions hauled out on a large rock. When they started making nervous barks at my presence, the top third of the rock slowly woke, eyed me suspiciously, and morphed into a huge bull who stretched, coughed, growled, and bellowed warnings at me to stay away from his harem.

I backed off, tied up to a strand of bull kelp, and dove in the 43 to 47 ft range, finding a large school of blues (on the list), some nice-sized blacks which I ignored (not on the list), a vermillion (definitely on the list), and a greenling (on the list). I saw perch, too (on the list), but couldn't bring myself to take one, not being a fan of their bony fillets. The vis where I was diving was a nice 10 to 12 ft.

Hopefully someone with a better memory than mine can post the results, and there were a lot of cameras so there should be a few pictures coming, too.

The clam chowder lunch was good, and well appreciated after spending the morning in 48 degree water.

On the whole the "Species Scramble" format is a fun challenge that alters my usual hunting habits. Two of the fish on this year's list (perch and greenlings) I normally "tune out", and one of them (Kelp Bass) I'd never even ID'd before...maybe I spend too much time with my head in holes.

That being said, the inclusion of Lings on the list sure would've added some excitement to the weigh in.