Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Got me a Pelaj gun

A basic review and a question.

So it was finally time to get a seabass gun and I took the cheap road and got me a Pelaj Nemasis 120 solely because of the awesome price. After reading pretty much every post on here about the guns (with highly split opinions) I decided to jump in and get one.

I know I know, I should have spent the extra 150 bucks and got a RA (already know what's coming from Lompoc Local), but funds are low. However, so far the gun seems pretty solid, and was shipped to my door within 3 days. I also left the note on my purchase to rig with mono instead of dyneema and they actually did that for me, super cool and not really expected. Thanks!

I got the gun wet yesterday for the first time. Since there were no seabass I took a few shots at some kelp leaves and it seemed pretty spot on and pretty damn quiet to boot. I would like to add that the mech accepted the shaft without any struggle and felt nice and smooth. Though I have smallish hands, the handle seemed quite comfortable as well. The only negative thing is that it seemed like a pretty heavy trigger pull, but I was told that might wear in over time and improve with a mono-shaft connection that doesn't go inside the mech housing.

That brings me to the point. The only thing that I really don't like about the gun is the closed muzzle and notched flopper shaft it came with. Should I buy the open muzzle available on their site http://www.h20life.us/index.php/stor...en-muzzle.html or do I have a better option? I would love to get the mako open muzzle, so I can save on shipping and get a threaded shaft while I'm at it, but I'm not sure if it'll fit. Lastly, what is preferable: high profile sharkfin tabs or the mini sharkfin tabs. I was told to not go with the mako slip tip (sorry mako) so I'll have to bite the bullet on that one and get a mori or something equivalent. Maybe next paycheck......

Thanks for any answers, comments, advice in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0914131406.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	195676  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Seeco

Re: Got me a Pelaj gun

I wouldn't do anything until you find fault yourself
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Lompoc Local
Errin

Nice work Karl, you could have done a lot worse (Mako). Those Pelaj guns are pretty solid, my buddy abused one and it held up well. If the RA open muzzle fits the Pelaj gun, I would recommend the RA open muzzle. $22 bucks, can't go wrong with that. I would also recommend an addiction threaded shaft, not a mako. Mori tip all the way for sure. With that setup, the WSB don't stand a chance.

Good for you for stepping up, you will be slaying in no time

Keep us posted on the gun and what you're shooting with it.

Errin

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with closed muzzles and notched shafts?? Seriously, every one seems to have a bias against them. With the 120, I doubt you are going to be shooting into a cave close up, which it everyone's argument against a closed muzzle. A fish is never going to be over the notches fighting, which would cause the break/weakness there. The fish will either be strung up on the mono or down on the flopper. If money is tight, no reason to drink the rail gun kool-aid. Just dive with the gun. Change something when it's an issue, not when it's online bantering.

Cheers and congrats on the gun!

Edit: not to mention with a closed muzzle, reloading is faster, albeit it barely when you are experienced on an open muzzle.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

notched shafts and closed muzzles are pretty popular over on this coast. If it drives you nuts then buy the muzzle from pelaj, I wouldnt risk the headache of it not fitting other wise.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Service @ Pelaj

Folks

Horses for courses - the closed muzzle and notched spears is the old classic that has stood the test of time from the 40's.

Open muzzle is theoretically quicker as you drop and load. They can be had very cheaply (well under $20) on the store. Takes 2 minutes to swap them out.

Finned shafts are quicker as you don't have to look at the spear when reloading - simply feel the fin and let go of the rubber (note you shouldn't be dragging the bridle down the shaft as it will make it wear a lot quicker).

Whatever works for you I guess.

Many thanks

H20Life LLC
US distributors of Pelaj and Bajau quality products
e: service@h20life.us
w: www.h20life.us
Service @ Pelaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Cameronv
Ando26

I haven't found anything wrong with mako guns, can't say about their tips though - never tried them. Their customer service is enough for me to buy their products though. My mako 80 works just fine. I like their shark fins too, easier to load than my RA low profile shark fins.

Seeing as you're going for all price, mori tip seems way out of place. I do like an open muzzle gun only because that's all I shoot.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
IanB

Yeah Lompoc seems to be really against Mako stuff, people have their opinions which is fine, but I have used both a 100 cm mako and a 90 cm rob allen and they felt as if they were made identically and both fired quite smoothly.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Nice work Karl, you could have done a lot worse (Mako). Those Pelaj guns are pretty solid, my buddy abused one and it held up well. If the RA open muzzle fits the Pelaj gun, I would recommend the RA open muzzle. $22 bucks, can't go wrong with that. I would also recommend an addiction threaded shaft, not a mako. Mori tip all the way for sure. With that setup, the WSB don't stand a chance.

Good for you for stepping up, you will be slaying in no time

Keep us posted on the gun and what you're shooting with it.

Errin
Have you ever even owned or shot a mako?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Thanks for the kudos Errin. I was trying to look into the addiction spears but couldn't find any info. Certainly nothing but good reviews from them. I will surely show off my kills once they're worthy, I'll take the first FAT calico in your name.

As for the closed/open muzzle debate. It's just a personal preference and for ease of loading. Also, as I mentioned in my post, the mono rigging at the end of my shaft makes it a tight fit which could be the reason for the heavier trigger pull. Just not how I want it rigged. I see how it would work well with the dyneema though, which is the standard rigging.

And as for not doing anything until I find fault myself makes sense to me, however I don't want to waste any seabass on rip offs. I'd rather have one more in my freezer for the winter.

Cameron, I saved all that cash on the gun (which is a solid product at a phenomenal price point) so I could get some nicer accessories for it. New shaft, tip, floatline, muzzle... all these things cost money and spending the way I did/am is the only way I could justify the investment. Might be hard for you to understand with your shiny new wong and multiple offshore slayage trips. That last part was just me being jealous

Can anybody chime in on if the Mako muzzle will fit the pelaj?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Tommy T

Unless I'm mistaken, the Mako slip tips are the same as the Wongs. Dean @ Vector Marine makes really nice shafts. I own a few. His contact is vectormarineproducts@gmail.com
I also OWN & USE these shafts http://www.makospearguns.com/category-s/44.htm (flopper & slip tip) & they perform great. Good luck with the new Pelaj. Get that new gun bloody! T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Cameronv
Ando26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_Lovin' View Post
all these things cost money and spending the way I did/am is the only way I could justify the investment. Might be hard for you to understand with your shiny new wong and multiple offshore slayage trips. That last part was just me being jealous

Yes I can see.

You think a shiny wong pulls fish? That's pretty funny.

It's hard for me to understand why you would cut 70 dollars for shittier gear

I'm not saying that's a bad gun. To each is their own.

A good WSB gun, like your gearing up for would be a 130 RA or mako. A slip tube wouldn't hurt either. To be honest for santa barbra diving it would be a great fit. You can still shoot at rocks with a slip tube. My friend Geoff just shot his first Dodo with the slip tube and it works like a champ.

Have you used or had a slip tip? They're very easy to bend and are very expensive.

After so many dives of rarely seeing game fish (like in santa barbra) you start to consider other game. Game that is sometimes near rock structures or lay on a fine sand bed with rocks under it, and easily result in a bent slip tip. It's understandable we've all taken the chance and done it before.

Buying a quality product just means you don't have to buy more when the cheaper shittier gear breaks.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Service @ Pelaj

Horses for courses - I liken Mori to the Bugati of spearfishing - custom high performance high precision kit.

Sliptips - best used in bluewater where you are shooting 4-5 times a day shooting into deep bodied fish, they can and will bend real easy when fired into something hard.

My 0.02

H20Life LLC
US distributors of Pelaj and Bajau quality products
e: service@h20life.us
w: www.h20life.us
Service @ Pelaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
Atanasprime

I have no complaints with the mako shafts or slip tip. As someone mentioned, they are identical to Wong slip tips and shafts so you shouldn't consider them cheap crappy gear. If you want an awesome slip tip at a good price, perhaps contact Plamen Kolev. He makes every one by hand and they are all truly high quality products. The one I have from him sits on the adaptor like no slip tip I have ever seen before but at the same time deploys like a charm. Plus you can swap out the point of the tip, he rigs the end of the spectra with mono (to make it easier to pull through your bands) and crimps it all together (which is supposedly safer than tying a knot like others do).
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Seeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
Yes I can see.

You think a shiny wong pulls fish? That's pretty funny.

It's hard for me to understand why you would cut 70 dollars for shittier gear

I'm not saying that's a bad gun. To each is their own.

A good WSB gun, like your gearing up for would be a 130 RA or mako. A slip tube wouldn't hurt either. To be honest for santa barbra diving it would be a great fit. You can still shoot at rocks with a slip tube. My friend Geoff just shot his first Dodo with the slip tube and it works like a champ.

Have you used or had a slip tip? They're very easy to bend and are very expensive.

After so many dives of rarely seeing game fish (like in santa barbra) you start to consider other game. Game that is sometimes near rock structures or lay on a fine sand bed with rocks under it, and easily result in a bent slip tip. It's understandable we've all taken the chance and done it before.

Buying a quality product just means you don't have to buy more when the cheaper shittier gear breaks.
Your avatar picture is great but you are getting way ahead of yourself there man.
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote