Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #1
Bob Ballew

Guessing it will be another Great Tuna Season!

...The bio-mass is there and moving north above Cedros island at present. Some schools are moving as fast as 40 miles in a day. No fish seen under 160 pounds with one group estimated at a half mile in size...once the commercial guys hit their quotas, it is open game time for us...
...In addition to dive gear, I am rigging this season for deep dropping on swordfish with electric reels, rewired my downriggers, redid the outriggers and put in larger group 31 batteries. Added an electric Ace line puller this season for lobster and worked the deeper water using baited hoop nets for nicer size bugs than found up shallow. At age 73, it is a lot easier than free diving for them like last year...
...At the city auction this week; for $5,200, I bought a nice Ford 7.3 4x4 diesel long bed crew cab truck that can tow 15,000 pounds, for hauling all that fuel, ice, rods, and divers. Kelly Bluebook values it at $10,000. Over 600 reviews rated it at 4.5 stars and above. Auctions can save you lots of money!... Installing two new group 65, 850 cca batteries with hopes of no truck electrical issues... Found the Interstate batteries at Costco for $100 each. Now, all I need is to find the fish....
...My estimate of the $300 cost per pound for fish I have caught over the years may be a tad low.....but, my wife will save a lot of money if I have a Viking funeral where she puts me on the boat (hopefully, when deceased), lights it on fire and pushes me out to sea....which, at this point, sounds good to her...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-16-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Guessing it will be another Great Tuna Season!

Better than leaving it to somebody else to spend...
Old 02-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Some are already in US waters
Old 02-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

Probably....rumors from the commercial fishermen of tuna, swordfish, marlin, etc outside to the west of the 181 and southward...Nothing I have been able to substantiate yet...
...My son, Billy, made a run with his friend Matt last nite, to Catalina. Working the deeper water, they pulled limits of lobster, mostly in the 3 and 4 pound size. Later in the season is often the best time, as many guys made their limits early and move on to fish rockfish, then, gamefish...also, the lobster are usually bigger late in the season....still, weekends can be a cluster....
...They had a faceoff with an asshole from an anchored yacht who was running around in an inflatable and pulling other people's hoop nets. After Billy threatened to beat his ass, he beat feet back to home base....and, so it goes on the big muddy...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-16-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
"for $5,200, I bought a nice Ford 7.3 4x4 diesel long bed crew cab truck .... Bluebook values it at $10,000....Auctions can save you lots of money!..."
"Most of the time..you may be right"
Let me tell you a TRUE story. My ex-father in law owned a Buick and Chevy dealership, his wife and daughter always drove new "Demo" cars. One day his wife went shopping and "clinked" a glass gallon bottle of milk on the seat support as she put it on the rear floor boards..the bottom of the jug fell out and milk was All over the floor...NO PROBLEM..she will tell her husband when he gets home and he will take it back to the dealership to be cleaned up. Well, it wasnt that easy. To make a very long story shorter, the entire carpet was replaced, the steel floor pan was steam cleaned..all to no avail, when parked outside in the sun for a day the interior REEKED or sour milk...so replace the carpet and steam clean it again...So what to do?? Sure as Hell not gonna sell it to one of his customers...so off to the auction it went...Everyone crawed all over that Brand New Car and could find NOTHING wrong...so..it sold.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

...As SeaTux aptly pointed out, it is always, "Buyer Beware" at auctions, as many vehicles are salvage fixers that were impounded but, by law, they have to tell you it is a salvage vehicle...Still, if you are careful and check oil levels and other fluids plus look under and over, the vehicle, you can find some great deals, especially on impounded vehicles...bought my older Chevy 454 hp dually at the city auction with only 63,000 miles on it..runs great, as it was a city maintained vehicle they only used to haul batteries from yard to yard? true story...I can sell it today for the $3,200 I paid for it...
...Like fixer houses, you can buy, fix, sell and trade your way up to a mansion if you have the patience, time and energy, to do it...Me? I would never spend $50,000 for a new truck...Instead, put the money into investment rental property that will create a cash flow and help you retire while you are still young! Free time is the most valuable asset you will ever have...
… An example of leveraging finances: I bought a nice looking 2016 Hyundai Sonata at the auction with 58,000 miles on it, for $7,600. Car reviews (always research the vehicle online first)gave it high marks. I paid for it on my Costco credit card, giving me a 1 percent cash back from Costco....then, went to my credit union, where the Blue Book value was $13,553...they offered 125 percent financing at 1.99 percent interest, allowing me to finance $16,000, which I grabbed and ran!...so, I can drive it for a couple of years, sell it for as much or more than I paid for it and had $7,600 to pay off the credit card within 30 days, avoiding interest plus $8,400 cash in my pocket to re-invest or use toward making monthly car payments with no cash out of pocket, then, sell the vehicle and pay off the loan...
...Banks are not your friend...Non-profit credit unions are.....We belong to three credit unions, as each will offer good financing on different types of loans, at different times. I also carry 5 credit cards, mostly used to raise quick cash (never pay interest on them or you will be one poor guy in the end) in order to close a hot deal when the opportunity arises to improve my finances..
...In life, it is true that, "Preparation plus Opportunity = Success"...As kids, we played, "Monopoly" with fake money. As adults, it is fun to play it with real cash..also, it makes a good hobby for your early retirement....
...Some good sites to review vehicles are: Car.com, Edwards.com, Kelly Bluebook.com and my favorite, my old copies of Consumer Reports, which contain reviews all the way back to 1985 or so. I never buy anything new without looking at the Consumer Report reviews on it....Saved me lots of money and headaches over the years....time to shut up...good luck..

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-17-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
davej

Congrats on the 7.3 great engine. If you take care of it you'll get 500k.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

Thanks for the input, as this is my first diesel vehicle...Billy's friend Matt took a look at it and instantly wanted to buy it...He said the owner had added a "turbo charger"? to the engine which probably set him back $4,000....Time to find an Owner's Manual source, as none came with the truck...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-16-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
swanny

#dieselonly
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
Pfish

7.3 and 300,000 miles. Just getting broken in. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
Castor

Hey Bob, congrats on the 7.3. I’ve got 550,000 miles on my 1999 and absolutely love it. It’ll pull you’re Parker easy. My Superduty pulls my 18’ Seacraft like nothing.

If you ever have an issue with it, YouTube has a ton of 7.3 videos.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:59 AM   #12
Bob Ballew

thanks for the info...127,000 miles on it and so far, running good except a little noisy compared to the 454 in my Chevy dually...inside is like new and everything works...Now, to find a tuna....