Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Ydiveman
Bleed with me............

Send a message via AIM to Ydiveman
Key Largo advice

Heading down to Key Largo for a long weekend with friends at the end of Jan. We will have great boat (Aristakat), so we can go where ever. No doubt we will do Duane, Bibb etc., but we also want to bring some lobster home. Any tips on lobster areas down there greatly appreciated.
Ydiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
smartin

Re: Key Largo advice

25 05' 10.42n 80 26' 28.82w
smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Mobile Diver

Any of the patch reefs inshore of the wrecks. But everywhere around there is saturated with lobster pots.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

You cant spear inside of Pennecamp, which goes out 6 miles, and is most of Key Largo. Cant even have a speargun that is put together(must be taken apart) and not stowed in the cabin(must be stowed and not visible), and of course cant stop on way in when you have speared fish from 300 ft deep or more. I think you can lobster though, just not during Sportsmans season. And of course not anywhere with the yellow markers. You can spearfish South of Key Largo, but must be out 3 miles until South of Long Key Viaduct bridge, then you are good anywhere nearshore to way offshore, and even on the Gulf side from there South, same with lobsters on that side. Everglade Nat Park stops at the West end of that bridge and you can lobster from there West. There are or were some pilings marking that. No spearfishing in Everglades park also. Thats why I never go to Key Largo! I know when there is a bust for spearing in Pennecamp, its not pretty, if you know what I mean.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote