Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Olibaba

Mirrored Lenses in SoCal

Does anyone have any experience with mirrored lenses in socal?

I lost my Cressi Evolution Big Eyes (w/ clear lens) the other day, and decided to order another pair. Comfortable, quality, and also fairly priced for fine Italian eye wear.

I must of ordered them after having a whisky or three, because they arrived with mirrored lenses, which I adamantly proclaimed to my wife, I did't order! I went to my order history and low-and-behold I DID order the mirrored lens version. I wanted to dive the next morning, so I figured i'd give it a go. Also, I read that fish don't see your eyes and are less easily spooked. Sounds great.

Fast forward and I'm kicking out to the kelp in murky 8-10 foot surface viz and all I can notice is the the close-up reflection of my devilish eyes, and checks in the mirrored lens. Super distracting and annoying. Down at the bottom it cleared up a bit, but still I could see my reflection.

Has any one used a mirrored lens before? If so I'm curious as to your experience. Maybe its better with clear waters and a sunny day?

Also on that dive I did see a big fish swim underneath me... It was so murky, and the lens was so distracting that I couldn't tell what it was.. Maybe a BIG WSB!! or was it a shark? I kept telling myself a WSB and was out there searching for a few hours with no more sightings... I went back to the exact same spot this morning, only with clear lenses this time... still murky at the top, and clearer on the bottom. While at the bottom I saw a big soupfin pass over me swimming north with the same motion as the fish I saw the day before. I surfaced through the murkiness after it passed, and saw another small one pass below me confirming my previous days sighting as a soupy and not a WSB... Beautiful fish to see swimming through the kelp none the less.
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Mirrored Lenses in SoCal

Years ago, we played around with them and found too many negatives...Depending on the color, they may block out some of the light, as you noted. I also observed that some give off sun reflection "flashes" that likely spook fish. The yellow lenses gave a little more clarity in hazy open water but, I could never get used to the distortion effect mentally..It is probably worth the money to order a set of clear lenses...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:10 AM   #3
Doing Tables

I tried them. It was like wearing sunglasses under water. Doesn't let enough light through. Our water isn't clear enough to warrant using them.

I use the yellow lenses. I think I get better contrast but clear is as goo or better.
5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:21 AM   #4
Dannowar

I donít know if Iím just extra stealth lately or what, but even in marginal vis...fish have just been swimming right up to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:29 AM   #5
rnln

not sure about my comparison because I have not tried different masks on the same day... Here what I think. I think I like to wear the mirror on the day that the sun is too bright. Some times it is bright enough that I feel the sun is reflecting from the particles in the water, even though the water is not THAT murky. Days like this, I don't like the clear mask. The mirror mask bothers me the most when diving at night, too dark. I think the yellow is ok with any day, and clear for night dive.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
diveincanada

I got the Cressi Nano mirror but don't use it much. Only in Blue Water when it's really sunny and the blue water reflects the sun. Otherwise, around the reef, I find it 2 dark. Here in Canada in the lakes, it's definately 2 dark but my 10 yr old loves it cause it looks cool ! =)

I just got a yellow tint Picasso mask and it's my favorite so far.
diveincanada is online now   Reply With Quote