Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Scott L

Stringers in Nor Cal a good idea?

Moving out to Oakland next month and will be doing some weekend dives. I have been diving in So Cal for years and am looking forward to diving up north for the first time.

There are some awesome threads on gun size and wetsuit thickness that have been very helpful. The one thing I couldn't find any information on is what everyone does with their fish - stringers, kayak, etc.

I've always used a stringer in So Cal but know Nor Cal is sharkier so curious to hear what you everyone else does.

Thanks in advance.
Scott L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Re: Stringers in Nor Cal a good idea?

Stringers, floats, or kayaks. Some people will keep fish on their gun until they have a few to string up. Some people have no issues using stringers on their bodies, others prefer not to keep the fish on them. Sea lions and harbor seals stealing your fish is more of a concern than anything else.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
jabafish

Speared for many years ( started at Van Damme in 86 ) out of Fort Bragg plus 10 years in SLO county - always used a belt stringer. Only got grabbed by a harbor seal once out of Fort Ross. Some places ( North of Fort Bragg , Shelter Cove feel funny anyhow) I would go back to the kayak to dump fish.
All in all I would trade the sharkier CA coast for the near fishless Puget Sound where I am now. Good Luck. Jim Beck
jabafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Sanny

I use a hoop stringer that I can open and close with one hand. I hang it in the water from the side of my kayak via a surfboard rail saver with a cord thrugh the swivel that goes through a eye on the kayak. the other side with the velcro holds the hoop- this makes it easily detachable while leaving the railsaver on the boat. You can just flip the stringer of fish up into the back compartment, cut off some kelp to throw on top of the fish to keep them out of the sun and be on your way. Sea lions can be a problem... I used to carry fish on my waist. Either way, but many times its a hassle to have a couple of 30" fish on the stringer getting tangled up in my legs when diving- and getting poked by the spines sucks too. Dive with a safety buddy.
Sanny
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote