Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #16
Hunter

Re: Boat Ramps at Morehead City, NC?

Hi Distraction,
I am from Morehead and that is where I do most of my spearfishing. Good advice from both SPEARIT and boatbum. I use the one on Arendal, Hwy 70, next to NC Marine Fisheries. It has good parking and bathrooms if needed. Boatbum 's other two ramps are good and they may be alittle faster due to a large No Wake Zone in front of the port. South and SE winds are tough on us here, be careful in a 19'. Hope you have some luck if you come down to NC!
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #17
Don B

Distraction, did not mean to throw your thread off track. But as for spearing you will be on the very edge of some of the worlds best. I've been blessed to dive from Thialand, central america, through the caribbean,through out Florida, Louisiana, and along the North Carolina coast. and from new river to the frying pan shoals is some of the best diving in the world!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #18
Distraction

OK...so launching at Morehead itself is OK, assuming the weather and tide conditions are OK, right? I've taken my boat out of Hatteras Inlet, so I know how tricky and dangerous those inlets can be.

How far offshore would I have to go to find some decent spearing?

What depths? Freediveable, or will it all be on SCUBA?

Capt. Tom, I'll probably give you a phone call directly...maybe you can help me plan my vacation with recommendations of where to stay, launch, good places to eat, etc.

Thanks!
Distraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #19
Distraction

Oh yeah...and anything else you could tell me about Wilmington, Topsail or Sneads Ferry would be great.

Things like:

1. Good places to rent for a week or weekend?
2. Good places to launch my boat?
3. How far of a ride is it to the spearing?
4. What depths?

Basically I'm planning either a week or weekend vacation. 5 hours from Richmond is easily manageable, especially if it puts me in warmer, clear water. But if I have to spend 3 hours in a boat trying to get out to the good spots, it might not be worth it.
Distraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #20
SPEARIT

Distraction
No sweat, give me a call. I'd probably look more toward the Wilmington/Carolina Beach area for spearfishing. Depending on what time of year you want to come, there is some good inshore shooting for grouper, but for hogs, bugs, etc. You're going to be looking at a 25 mile run.
Tom
SPEARIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #21
Bill McIntyre

"Using the route recommended by Mr. McIntyre, will require you to drive about 40 more miles of typical Down East "you can't really get there from here" roads. Launch in a remote area, cross Core Sound and exit to the ocean behind Cape Lookout via a poorly marked inlet(both of which is not recommended without local knowledge)."

Sorry for the bum scoop. Maybe things have changed a lot in 30 years. When I was there, those down east roads were navigable by anyone who could read a road map, there were at least three nice marinas with good launch ramps in that "remote area," the channel across the sound was straight as an arrow with markers on both sides, and once you got out to the Cape there was no channel needed across a bight that got you out into the Atlantic with no surf. Perhaps the roads and channel markers have been permitted to deteriorate and the bight has sanded in and you can no longer hear large charter boats talking on the radio about when they plan to get back to Beaufort Inlet to time the tide for a safe entry.

I've heard that spearfishing is better at those more southerly places mentioned, but if you do end up in the Morehead area, I'll have a stab at recommending at least two places that would not require long runs. One is a rock breakwater right outside Cape Lookout. It extends out from the beach to about 15 feet deep at the outer end, and in the fall I used to slaughter flounder like the 18 pounder shown below.

Also, in the fall there was often a run of finger mullet right up against the tip of the arrowhead forming the Cape where it drops right off to about 25 feet, and I have seen 30 pound king mackerel jump out on to the sand when they did a vertical overshoot coming up through the mullet. My wife caught the state woman's record for king mackerel standing in knee deep water at that spot.

About 5 miles off the Cape was a wreck of a British armed trawler sunk by a German sub during WWII. It was a great alternate spot for flounder when the breakwater was too rough and dirty.

Before leaving the subject of Harkers Island, I can't resist offering a bit of local knowledge that has nothing at all to do with choice of inlets or diving spots, but that I find fascinating neverthless. There was a civil servant who worked at the Naval Air Rework facility where I was a test pilot who had to verify that the civil servants had put the aircraft back together properly before giving it back to its squadron. He had been born and raised on Harkers Island, and told me that during WWII when he was a young boy, the local fishermen used to supplement their incomes by running out to meet German subs that would surface offshore at night to buy fresh milk, eggs, etc.

God Bless America!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ncflounder.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	15594  
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #22
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

Bill, I never heard of NC people comitting treason during WWII . Do you have bonafide dodumentation of this?
This is hard to believe. Wade
Md Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #23
SPEARIT

I had intended to just let this matter lie, but as Mr. McIntyre seems to desire to turn every thread into a confrontation; here goes. First, the comment regarding a British trawler lying 5 miles offshore is actually the Senatuer Duhamel which was a French ocean trawler that was confiscated by the British after the fall of France and pressed into service as an antisubmarine vessel to fight the U-boat menace. On 6 May 1942, as she was approaching Beaufort Inlet, under conditions of limited visibility, she was rammed by the destroyer USS Semmes and sank in 65ft of water. She now lies 6.7 miles southeast of Beaufort Inlet. There is also the HMS Bedfordshire(she was a British armed trawler) here, which was sunk by the U-558, 5 days later on 11 May 1942, though she lies approximately 36 miles out of Beaufort Inlet.
As for the treason comments, I know quite a few "Downeasters" who'd take offense to it.
Mr. McIntyre, I pulled my first tour at Cherry Point in 1967 and I've been around this place for a day or two. It's been where I call home since 1980(even though the USMC sent me other places, I've always come back). I was taught these waters and spearfishing by one of the "Chosin Few" who, by the way, began diving here before 1960. One of the best things he instilled in me though, was to be smart enough to realize, that before claiming to be the Duty Expert on everything; I might want to remember, that I'm not the only Cowboy to ride this Rodeo.

Last edited by SPEARIT; 03-07-2005 at 02:55 PM.
SPEARIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #24
Bill McIntyre

Tom,

You are the expert. The guy asked about launching small boats in the area and I spoke from my own experience. I had no idea that you would be so offended. Sorry if that appeared to be treading on your turf. You are the man, and all hail the man.

Sorry that you are so offended by the story my Down East friend told me. He grew up on the island and was there when he claims that it happened, but he must be a lying sack of shit. After all, he associated with me.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #25
Stab A. Slab

The diving out of Morehead is great. Boat ramps down east (Harkers I. area ) are not that hard to find. I do a lot of spearfishing in this area and there are plenty of places to go, inshore and off. Check out this site. www.olympusdiving.com
Stab A. Slab is offline   Reply With Quote