Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
Capt Keith

Re: Frying Pan Tower catch

My point of "advertising" where we shot these fish is to promote spearfishing, either by SCUBA or Freediving, and to help my fellow spearo's much like a fisherman would pass on info his fellow fisherman.
I hate it when someone tell's me "its my secret spot so I can't tell you where it is". Just look on any Bathymetric chart, pick a spot and and go dive it. If it's productive, share that info. Fish miagrate, they will not stay there forever. Diving around the tower is not an everyday event any how as it's a long run (40 miles from CB and WB inlet) and if you pick it on the wrong tide or a full/new moon the current will "rip" through there making it almost un-diveable.Scuba or free diving1!
My suggestion for freedivers to "move inshore" of the tower was two fold. 1) Keep the free divers out of the way of fisherman who congregate around the base of the tower this time of the year. 2) Take some of the pressure off from thinning out some of the bottom fish around the tower and move to another location.
Again I have no "secret spots" that no other diver or fisherman can't find themselves with a chart or good bottom finder. A good sportsman is not an ass who talks a big hunt, throws pictures around then acts as if he's the only one allowed to hunt that certain location.
Thanks to all the spearo's I've run across over the years and passed on info to me. It has saved me a lot of boat running, second guessing and allowed me to take only whats needed to put fish on the table for a nice meal.
BTW, we probaly could have shot more fish ( Hog's especially-like you said they're dumb as rocks as they will swim right up to you) if we would have switched to drift diving to cover more bottom. The good news for you is we didn't and there are fish out left for all of US to enjoy!
Capt Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #17
surfspearo
Sea Donkey Slapped Down

i have no quarrel with sharing info with your friends, but the web is a big place with lots of browsers, many of whom don't harvest fish with any thing other than a "shoot'em all" mentality...as far as promoting spearfishing, have you noticed the wrightsville beach jetties lately??? too many people putting too much pressure on too small an area--most of whom don't know anything about safe hunting practices...responsible diving, whether by scuba or breath-hold, is the key, and i see way too little of that...i do see value in reading the charts instead of being spoon-fed--it promotes the lost idea of being a total waterman--too many people are too damn lazy to figure it out on their own, so why should the people that take the time make it that much easier?
surfspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
Ed Walker

"Nice hogs" looks like it has a whole different meaning up your way. At least in 50 feet of water Nice fish and thanks for sharing the pics. I wonder why the monster hogs will come in shallower up there. They seldom do here.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #19
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

I have a hard time with the fact that there are no regulations limiting the take of Hogfish. Gags are not an easy prey, especially breath-hold hunting, but they are so protected. Hogs would swim onto your kui if you let them, but in 10 years will they still be here? It is key that all spearos in this area use discipline when taking fish of any kind, and take the opportunity to educate the ignorant that may ruin it for us all.

Let's respect the resources that we are blessed with. Let's not get carried away with using gps #'s as currency, nor exploit those that were hard fought or are hallowed ground (some of you know exactly my meaning). Onslow Bay and FP Shoals can remain the best backyard in the world if we let it.

http://www.InSeaWorldwide.com
guttshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 PM   #20
Killer&Griller
What ........ I voted :)

Good job guys, nice catch.

surfspearo

Yeah, 4 fish for 4 guys. There definately abusing the self regulated quota. Clearly you have never dove by FP. If you did, you would realize that for 15 square miles around it there are ledges, caverns, etc. With currents and boat traffic, it isn't exactly a cake walk. Although you seem to be acting like a typical dick who thinks your "freediving" is the only righteous way to harvest a fish and clearly can't respect anothers viewpoint or passion. It is no secret that because it is close to the gulf stream, fish are abundant there. Get in a boat if you want to go out there and take your reasonable share in whatever diving manner you prefer. Nobody on here is abusing their share. Nobody on this thread is categorizing a group of divers as being wrong, irresponsible, or be demeaning except you. I have yet to see 35 hogs or groupers in a photo. We are not exploiting the population and as for commercial diver, pretty non existent for hogs recently that I know of talking to the market guys. FYI It costs 40K to get 2 grouper/snapper licenses to turn in for one to be issued to you. Our marine fisheries does a fine job of limiting our take and keeping every "tom, dick, and harry" from abusing it. All I here is how a good freediver (and I respect them for there practice and technical application) can spend the same amount of quality time underwater as us "bubble blowers" and now you are going to get on a soap box? Which is it?

33.49 N 77.59 W (3329'06" N 7735'24" W) Wooooppppsss, didn't mean to give out one if my secret cords to the FPS buoy.

What is that saying? Uh, If you can't say something good...... uh....... how does that go? Why don't you try, good job on going to work, making enough money to pay the crazy fuel prices, riding 2 hours one way to a dive spot, take a few fish, and enjoy your passion for being in the water. Then thinking enough about your fellow divers that were stuck on land, to sit down in their busy schedule and take the time to write up a report on their trip just to share in good faith and hope someone would enjoy reading it.

Spearfishing is the curse of being allergic to store bought fish.

YES........ I have a DIVE & TACKLE SHOP

YES ....... I CRUSH EVERYONE IN PRICING

Call me if you need a deal on DIVING / FISHING / HUNTING gear including GoPros.

910-802-3474 ...... Craig

Last edited by Killer&Griller; 07-11-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Killer&Griller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #21
surfspearo
Sea Donkey Slapped Down

Killer&Griller-if you payed attention, you'll notice i never said anything negative about capt. keith's catch--was only cautioning that we have something special, so why not work to keep it that way...people used to think the grand banks would never be fished out either...people who have been diving the tower area for 10 years are reporting that fish densities are much lower than they used to be, which may be anecdotal, but does suggest that maybe we should pay attention--thanks for the personal attack, always nice to see educated rational responses...makes messing with the board so much more fun...why no sense of humor--did it hit too close to home??? lemme guess, you voted for bush twice and think global warming is democratic propoganda...ha...thanks for making it interesting...
surfspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #22
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

Ho cuz! K&G- you must have a really cool boat to get to the Tower from Charlotte. I think I saw your hovercraft out there the same day those sharks had PH holes in their dome. I bet you shoot AJ's just 'cause you've got the itch... feel better now? Don't blast people you don't know man, it hurts your argument.
Surfspear and I will post some pics from your numbers when we get back tomorrow afternoon, but you probably won't see any fish in them, that spot's naked. We'll go to our reef for some fun snorkeling, maybe take some fish- but we won't tell where we went and you know why? Clearly you don't surf because you'd be saying "yeah I know why"... you'd think "I remember that one spot spot I found, that day was so fun... then everyone found out about it and the next time I went back it was ruined". What we do is special, and that sounds fruity but, if you forget that part then one day you'll forget why you spearfish in the first place.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #23
sbh

I just posted a report to fps freediving on the freedivelist and was questioning whether to post on Spearboard for some of the same reasons mentioned above. This was my first freediving ever in NC and it was awsome. I'd hate for some really good divers who know how to shoot fish and have no self restraint to go and continually harevest massive numbers of fish fish from these areas. At the same time, I seem to have found out that the spot holds good fish-I live about 800 miles south- so its not a real "secret". I also agree that it is far out and conditions probably limit diving alot of the year. I wrote my report before reading this thread and as you might read we tried our best to take only what each of us would use. I hope NC maintains its fishery for years to come. I think the 20 hogfish limit is a bit ridiculous though!
Hope my reporting the spot doesn't offend the locals! Report is in freediving area.
Brent Harris
FL
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 AM   #24
Killer&Griller
What ........ I voted :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfspearo
ya'll need to stop advertising the hog farm...its great to talk story, but if the ______bubble blowers ______keep hitting that place -as --hard --as --they --do, there won't be any fun for anyone...shoot what you'll eat and eat what you shoot...
Quote:
"you can't tell me that someone with 30 minutes plus of bottom time isn't going to at least have more opportunities to take game--especially something as dumb as a hogfish--if you're on a tank, at least making it sporting and use a pole spear."
Yeah, I'd say that is a personal attack as stated in your post. Also in an indirect way, you did make a derogatory remark about the manner that Capt Keith took his catch along with saying the it "isn't sporting". You made your insinuation quite clear. You said the the demise of the spearing would fall more or less on the "bubble blowers". LOOK UP, ITS RIGHT THERE, YOU WROTE IT. If you rode out to FPS, you will see 40 boats trolling for king and dolphin and maybe 1 boat diving. Agreed that areas shouldn't be over fished. Agreed that there should be restraint on what you take. Don't believe that you should jump on someones story thread and derailed it as you have done. As far as politics, I wish they would open a season on all of them with no quota, there all crooks.

Quote:
Gutshot --------"Ho cuz! K&G- you must have a really cool boat to get to the Tower from Charlotte. I think I saw your hovercraft out there the same day those sharks had PH holes in their dome. I bet you shoot AJ's just 'cause you've got the itch... feel better now? Don't blast people you don't know man, it hurts your argument."
Tell me not to blast someone and then make a "punk" comment about a hovercraft and PH? WTF. Obviously you two are buds that only get entertainment out of starting $hit on threads like your comment on the 90# Cubera out of Wilmington, NC 6/19/06
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------
That's a real fish there... took 3 shafts, 2 bubbleguts and thousands of psi to bring her up.
Much respect... to the fish, that is...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
As for the AJ, if you are referring to an old post last month, go read the old thread again. A fisher in my boat asked for one and he was tickled when I gave it too him. I don't eat them and therefore don't normally take them. Now you are going to accuse me of PH's on sharks. Grow up, don't beat your keyboard, and learn how to stone a fish so you can change your screen name. So ya got problems on the old snorkeling reef with 3M sharks do ya? Try shaking his fin and introducing yourself first before ya poke him. Better yet, it's cheaper if you buy the SS without the battery. We're even now.

On the lighter side, FREE hovercraft rides for SELECT individuals. I will even take you back home and drop you off....................... at 13,000ft. J/K, come on.............. I'll dip down to 10,000ft.

Seriously, TRUCE to both of ya. Lets play nice. ....... (8000ft is the best I can do, otherwise my GPH goes thru the roof from an LZ).

Again, sorry Capt Keith for attributing to the derail. Now I will try to STFU. See, I can be hard on myself too.

Spearfishing is the curse of being allergic to store bought fish.

YES........ I have a DIVE & TACKLE SHOP

YES ....... I CRUSH EVERYONE IN PRICING

Call me if you need a deal on DIVING / FISHING / HUNTING gear including GoPros.

910-802-3474 ...... Craig
Killer&Griller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #25
gumshoe
Medium sized member

No matter what happens, guys, here's one reality:

We could post in the ultimate detail the location, conditions, etc. of a dive spot. If your concern is that commercial divers and/or fishermen are sitting at home looking at the internet to try and cheese our spots, you couldn't be more wrong. Many of the spots we hit came from these guys that have been doing this for decades. If they're watching what we post on here to dictate where and when they go out, I'm not worried about what they can do to the resource, 'cause they probably suck wind as a commercial force.

Likewise, if you feel that our post will stir the incentive in someone to become a commercial guy, then more power to THEM. It's not a fun life. Remember, they've got to go out regardless of the weather to pay their mortgage.
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #26
flounderer
Dive Boat Slave

The tower area has been spearfished for decades. Any post here will not inform new commercial guys about the "new" spot. A commercial spearfisher has been working that area for several years.

Yes, this site does give this area more press, but guess what, it's been hit hard for years. Just because someone thinks that it is their new spot doesn't mean it is an untouched site. I've been on that site for 6 yrs now with a tank strapped to my back, the fish are just as plentiful as they were 6 yrs ago, maybe even more plentiful. We can all have fun on the site and the 20 square miles around the tower that produce fish.

I'm sorry but the tower area belongs to no one individual, breath holder or bubble blower. Most guys respect the resourse and will continue to.

Pat
Old 07-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #27
guttshot
Watch IN-SEAtv on iTunes

K/G-
I guess you missed my sarcasm... the point was that you turned a debate into a pissing match because your feathers got ruffled-
-why should I care where you live, what you shoot with, or whether you have a taste for Donkeys
-You can poke sharks all you want, I respect their rights and use technology to dissuade their interest whilst fishing.
-It's a public forum, I have a right to my opinion, and the guys that took that Cubera have a different outlook on hunting than I, so I gave the fish props.

Look, Keith is a great guy (he scubas and snorkels both) and he intended no harm with his post. His thread however triggered a very interesting discussion that has needed to occur. Tanks or lungs, local or guest, it doesn't matter... it's our responsibility to take care of what we have.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #28
Bill McIntyre

For what its worth, guys have been posting on the Freedivelist for years about diving Frying Pan Shoals. This was not exactly the first time I heard about it.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #29
hartwelltv
Chris Hartwell

Welcome to Spearboard!
hartwelltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #30
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Damn...I guess everyone was a little bored over the weekend. All mud slingin' aside we should know a bit more about the guys we are talking sh!t to or getting it from:

Work/worked on fish or dive charters out of ILM:
Flounderer
Capt. Keith
GutShot
Me

Have a Masters in Marine Science from UNCW:
Flounderer
SurfSpearo
Me

So before anyone starts flying off the handle about who doesn't know sh!t, and who has never dove these spots etc. be warned...you will probably get your ass handed to you in the knowledge/experience dept. Hell, 2 or more of these guys were in the aforementioned "secret spot" yesterday. I don't get off on stirring the pot like some of my boys do, but a few noteworthy points have certainly come to the surface.
#1. If you have a good spot share it w/ your friends and don't post it for all the world to see. I'm not talking about the tower either. PM it...call em' but don't post it. I understand no one owns any one dive spot, and your honey hole is always someone else's honey hole. But try and protect it to some extent! Additional pressure is additional pressure: H&L, recreational, commercial, bubbles or no bubbles...it's all pressure. I know there is a bit of a need to post pics and beat our chests a bit(hell I love seeing the pics and hearing the stories)--nearly all of us are guilty of that. Just show some restraint and try not to post where you got the fish.
#2. As for NC's fishery regulations...you've gotta be kidding me. They are improving slightly every year, but they are still PITIFUL. I am at work and don't have the time or inclination to elaborate on that any further.
#3. Nice take Capt. Keith...nice fish and responsible numbers. Looks like you guys had a great time.
#4. Pat, I checked out the website and it looks great. Nice pics.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote