Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
TJB

Cold Water Wetsuit

Would appreciate anyone's opinion on a cold water (45F) wetsuit. I am considering the Aqua Lung SolAfx "SemiDry"

http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/217/121/

as well as the Picasso 2 piece "Thermo-Flex" suits.

http://www.picassoamerica.com/catalo...roducts_id=175

Any experience with either? Is it reasonable to expect the one piece SolAfx will keep me drier than the 2 piece Picasso....?

Any other thoughts for a winter "semi dry" spearfishing suit...?

Thanks for your time.
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
bikewrench

Re: Cold Water Wetsuit

Are you freediving or scuba? If you are on scuba get a dry suit. Sounds like you are freediving. I can give you my limited experience with Picasso (though not your specific suit). I bought the Picasso Black Termic 7mm this time last year for early and late season freediving. http://www.picassoamerica.com/catalo...products_id=51
I was very impressed with the quality of the rubber and the construction. The fit according to Picasso's fit chart seemed right on. I had only two issues with it: I needed to wear too much lead and the face opening in the hood was too tight (my fault- huge head). I wore it two or three times in March in R.I. (cold water) and it kept me quite warm (30 - 45 min dives). In the end I decided that I enjoy the warmer weather so I sold it. Based on trying that suit I would not hesitate to buy another Picasso and I probably will when I need to replace my 3mm. Hope that helps.

p.s. Look around the web, you can get them cheeper than from Picasso.
bikewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
NinoJBF

Re: Cold Water Wetsuit

I just purchased a Pinnacle 8/6 wet suit, or semi dry suit. It is great in cold water around that temp range. I am diving at 90-120ft, 48f and have not found anything about the suit i don't like yet. It has a new kind of lining on the inside called "Merino lining" which acts like a sponge so the water that enters the suit and stays inside. This keeps you warmer longer cause no new cold water can enter the suit. The suit itself is made to not compress on deep dives giving you the same thickness of protection at the top and bottom of the ocean. I used to use a dry suit but found it to be very uncomfortable on deep dives. Make sure whatever suit you purchase fits tight and gives you flexability to move around.