Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
TriggersMD

Spearfishing Regulations in Maryland?????

i am new to Maryland and early this summer i had a run in with a Department of Natural Resources Officer. i was free diving in the Ocean City Inlet and was immediately approached by a Police boat. The Officer said that i was unable to use my pole spear within 100 yards of people in or out of the water (people in boats, on land, even the other side of the jetty) because it was considered "spring loaded." i got my fill of exploration and then later that evening i called the local police and the DNR for further clarification and eventually got the officer who had talked to in the inlet on the phone because no one else had any idea what i was talking about. He, of course, said the same thing.

My question is where can i find these regulations? i have reviewed the DNR website a number of times and downloaded 2008 Fishing Guide. Am i just missing it?

Any help?
TriggersMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
cmburch
Blue Crab

Re: Spearfishing Regulations in Maryland?????

My copy says it is unlawful to use a spear or spear gun within 100 yards of any private or public swimming areas, scuba diverís flag, other than that used by the spear fisherman, vessel in the water or human being without specific advance permission.

I only crab and fish inside the Chesapeake Bay.

Magicwanz on SCUBABoard goes spearfishing and knows the Maryland Regs.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
fishfan

Never heard of that and almost everyone I know has speared in the inlet with guns.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
bigbuckilla

i dive the inlet constantly and ive been checked 3 times this season. i was using a pole spear,and i had 2 20" taug on my stringer all 3 times... they just say hi, and ask me if everything is ok.. and they drive off. they dont even measure my fish.. i just hold them up. they are pretty much clueless of the regs i.m.o. so its whatever
bigbuckilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
sheepshead

Was that DNR guy bald? He's the only one that is a prick. He is correct, however, the law says, "4) A person may not use a spear or spear gun without specific advance permission within 100 yards of any:

(a) Human being;

(b) Public or private swimming area;

(c) International diving flag; or

(d) Vessel other than that used by the spear fisherman."

If nobody witnesses you using(pulling the trigger), which they won't because they can't see you under the water,then I think your ok, just stay away from boats and swimmers and beaches. I always look around 360 degrees before I dive to make sure that I am not in violation. Here is the link:
http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/08/08.02.05.01.htm

That guy gave me a hard time last year. Most of the DNR guys don't even know the law.
sheepshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
cmburch
Blue Crab

"Prick"

Hey, I thought the use of the word "Prick" means he's a good Spearo.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...ighlight=prick
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
bigbuckilla

i think one time a bald guy talked to me. ... i dont know... i dont worry too much about them... i hardly ever dive over 20 mins at a time anyway.. so typically im in and out... i got important things going on... my time is valuable.. thats why i spearfish.. b/c i dont have the time to waste hookandlineing it....
Eastman Undercover Pro 360
6'4" Stewart single
5'4" VZ Keel twin
4'8" XYZ Sk8 Disk
9'6" Log
JBL Polespear up to 12'
Churchill Makapuu
1974 Suzuki TS250 Savage
....thats what im all about
bigbuckilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

cant you not spear striper in maryland...i think i heard that somewhere.
those regs about the 100 yards away thing kinda sucks.
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
TriggersMD

Yeah he was the bald. When I had him on the phone he mentioned that the only time that it would be legal to do it is in the cold months when there were no tourists around. So I guess if you guys are doing it be mindful and as for me Iíll be hook and line fishing the inlet for dinner knowing that guy has my full name and phone number. Thank you everyone, you were very helpful, especially Sheepshead (good name) for the website...
TriggersMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
sheepshead

His interpretation of the law is incorrect. If you are within the 100 yard perameter, then you are legal, it doesn't have to be in winter. He has a cowboy attitude, and I don't think the ticket would be very much if it came to that and they could't prove that you used a spear gun unless they saw you pull the trigger, don't let this asshole drive you out of the water.
sheepshead is offline   Reply With Quote