Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #16
jfjf

Re: Recommendations for fabricator of dive ladder/platform in NPR/Clearwater area?

I like that little lip you put on the outside of the rung. You can really get hurt if your foot slips outward and just a little stop prevents that. I've only seen that done a few times, but it seems so simple and inexpensive, I never understood why it is so rare.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #17
sealark

Re: Recommendations for fabricator of dive ladder/platform in NPR/Clearwater area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I like that little lip you put on the outside of the rung. You can really get hurt if your foot slips outward and just a little stop prevents that. I've only seen that done a few times, but it seems so simple and inexpensive, I never understood why it is so rare.
Yes first one had just pipe. Slipped a couple times. I took 1/4in. Stainless bent around and welded. Thanks for noticing and replying. I have many times when alone forgot to put platform down. Thats what the heavy long splices are for. Just push the platform up and the eye comes off cleat and allows platform to go down. Live and learn.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
CatDiver

I have had two ladder issue in the last few years due to my own stupidity (but that's not important right now). I found and used JTR Marine Enterprises in St. Pete. Small family owned shop. They basically rebuilt my ladder on my last boat and the price was super reasonable - and they were quick. I know it's a little south for you, but if you don't find anything closer, I definitely recommend them.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #19
grey2112

I'm starting to lean more towards that ultimate 4-step ladder from Boatladders, but am still just a little concerned with the whole flopping issue I've encountered - to whit, trying to get up the ladder in 2-3 foot swells and it moving you and the ladder up and down as you try to get up.

I know KMOOSE has one of these - I assume he likes it or else would get rid of it.

Anyone else?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
sealark

You time the waves no way to get around that. Stand up when the stern starts to go down. In my case then I sling my left leg over into the boat as the stern rises lunge forward and grab the seat. Then pull my right foot in. Fins on through it all. Sometimes I am alone sometimes have another diver to help.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #21
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I'm starting to lean more towards that ultimate 4-step ladder from Boatladders, but am still just a little concerned with the whole flopping issue I've encountered - to whit, trying to get up the ladder in 2-3 foot swells and it moving you and the ladder up and down as you try to get up.

I know KMOOSE has one of these - I assume he likes it or else would get rid of it.

Anyone else?
I can reinforce the previous advice. People often make the mistake of trying to scramble up the ladder fast. I learned to dive in NJ as a kid and it was often rough and the ladder was always a challenge.

The advice I got was to watch the ladder, take your time and plan your attack. Wait until the ladder goes down or is going down, and then grab on and stand up. Planting the feet solidly is the key. If you fail, don't be afraid to let go, push away and try again. Once you are successful in getting on the ladder, don't try to climb immediately

You stand up and with knees locked you are very stable. Ride the ladder up and then as it is going down, try to climb one rung with one leg. If you do the climb when the stern is going down, you are benefited by reduced weight. The key is to get both feet planted securely on the bottom rung and stand up, before you do anything else.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:46 AM   #22
Sea_Bass

I have the ultimate 3-step ladder and like it very much. Many times I forget to swing it up and run with it for a few miles before realizing ... its always still back there. It works great for the ladder part, but you will need to add handrails to your boat or a grab bar/stick so you can pull yourself up and stabilize.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #23
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I can reinforce the previous advice. People often make the mistake of trying to scramble up the ladder fast. I learned to dive in NJ as a kid and it was often rough and the ladder was always a challenge.

The advice I got was to watch the ladder, take your time and plan your attack. Wait until the ladder goes down or is going down, and then grab on and stand up. Planting the feet solidly is the key. If you fail, don't be afraid to let go, push away and try again. Once you are successful in getting on the ladder, don't try to climb immediately

You stand up and with knees locked you are very stable. Ride the ladder up and then as it is going down, try to climb one rung with one leg. If you do the climb when the stern is going down, you are benefited by reduced weight. The key is to get both feet planted securely on the bottom rung and stand up, before you do anything else.
Great advice, thank you.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #24
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
I have the ultimate 3-step ladder and like it very much. Many times I forget to swing it up and run with it for a few miles before realizing ... its always still back there. It works great for the ladder part, but you will need to add handrails to your boat or a grab bar/stick so you can pull yourself up and stabilize.

Yeah, I think that is the key - handrails. I've got some already but need to install ones that allow for what happens as you come up and out - so higher and longer.

Going to at least temporarily put in place some very thick line with blimp knots tied in them as handholds along the "route"

Will also have ss carabiners at the tag end to clip gear on to - I think the key for getting up as we age is ditch the BC/tank/weight, climb up, then retrieve the gear.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #25
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

I've owned two of the ultimate ladders. Would def recommend them.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #26
Sea_Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Will also have ss carabiners at the tag end to clip gear on to - I think the key for getting up as we age is ditch the BC/tank/weight, climb up, then retrieve the gear.
I've tried the ditch all gear tied off to a rope/float, climb in, and retrieve after. I felt it was much more work and it gets harder in rougher seas. But maybe my boat doesn't have the right transom to do this procedure.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
sealark

Don't ditch gear to get out of water. My rig is simple and I am 75 years old. When I can't get out of the water with gear it's time to quit diving. I just had my left knee replaced and can at 6 months after surjery get out with all gear on. It was hell bending knee at first to get my left foot on rung. But worth the pain.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #28
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Don't ditch gear to get out of water. My rig is simple and I am 75 years old. When I can't get out of the water with gear it's time to quit diving. I just had my left knee replaced and can at 6 months after surjery get out with all gear on. It was hell bending knee at first to get my left foot on rung. But worth the pain.
Damn, what size cooler is that?

Anyone have a link/pic of said ultimate ladder?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
grey2112

http://www.accuright.net/boatladder/...-ladder-detail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150317_132516_resized.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	240890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150317_132527_resized.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	240891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-02-09-13-52.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	240892  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
sealark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Damn, what size cooler is that?

Anyone have a link/pic of said ultimate ladder?
big igloo, snapper was 23 lbs. gutted