Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood
Sucker Fish Don't Be One

Sucker Fish ,one who believes the Diving will be great and the conditions are fine.
Ive been in this Scuba Diving Business for many years and seen and heard it all.
I am so tired of seeing people being B S too ,the vis is good the seas are fine and all is good , just to make $.People there are great weather apps out there now like wind finder,magic seaweed etc.Use them,if the wind is out of the north stay home ,usually a south current and crappy vis, when the wind is coming out of the north in any direction ,NW N NE I stay home .If windfinder says 3 to 5 feet with 5 seconds apart and 20 knots I stay Home.( I personally like 15 kts or less , plenty of nice days out there to enjoy)
You will get some Dive Boat Operators and some Dive Shops that don't care,all they see is$$$.
Don't be a Sucker Fish ,tell them no , I am going to wait until
its Safe and the conditions improve.
Don't Drink the Sucker Fish Coolaid.
Sucker Fish
Don't Be One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Scubadood; 05-25-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
HARVESTER

Re: Sucker Fish Don't Be One

[quote=PropMan;2141624]Sucker Fish ,one who believes the Diving will be great and the conditions are fine.
Ive been in this Scuba Diving Business for many years and seen and heard it all.
I am so tired of seeing people being B S too ,the vis is good the seas are fine and all is good , just to make $.People there are great weather apps out there now like wind finder,magic seaweed etc.Use them,if the wind is out of the north stay home ,usually a south current and crappy vis, when the wind is coming out of the north in any direction ,NW N NE I stay home .If windfinder says 3 to 5 feet with 5 seconds apart and 20 knots I stay Home.( I personally like 15 kts or less , plenty of nice days out there to enjoy)
You will get some Dive Boat Operators and some Dive Shops that don't care,all they see is$$$.
Sucker Fish
Don't Be One.

Sounds like you're pissed. Good advice though. Although, some of my best days were sucker days. 130' and 6' vis. Grouper love to hole-up in those conditions depending on water temp. Dig deep my friend, dress like a marine riot - bad-ass though cause them lions like to hang on the ceilings eh?

Anyway I need some prop work on aluminum hubs and have no experience on anything other than brass.... are you my guy?
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
Scubadood

[quote=HARVESTER;2141733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropMan View Post
Sucker Fish ,one who believes the Diving will be great and the conditions are fine.
Sucker Fish
Don't Be One.

Sounds like you're pissed. Good advice though. Although, some of my best days were sucker days. 130' and 6' vis. Grouper love to hole-up in those conditions depending on water temp. Dig deep my friend, dress like a marine riot - bad-ass though cause them lions like to hang on the ceilings eh?

Anyway I need some prop work on aluminum hubs and have no experience on anything other than brass.... are you my guy?
Call me at PropTec 561 741 7272 Il fix you up
Ditto on Suckers days,this is meant for the tourists and beginner novice divers who can easily be bs to dink the coolaid, not knowing what they are getting themselves into.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Aqua Nut

Well.the prop man was right....a dive character claiming it will be fun and safe...well people how fun was it watching a man geting his arm chewed off...if the shark charmer can't keep the sharks at bay,,
I didn't think an amateur diver can either...
Aqua Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Scubadood

Been hearing the water is dirty and brown.
Also been hearing out of state sucker fish have been hooked into going diving on a few charter boats.
Is this real or fake news
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: Sucker Fish Don't Be One

Many charter boats are hurting from the bad waters since Irma off the Florida East coast which is my backyard. Those who cater to suckerfish will get bad reputations over time.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Many charter boats are hurting from the bad waters since Irma off the Florida East coast which is my backyard. Those who cater to suckerfish will get bad reputations over time.
Drove by Juno Beach on the way to work, nasty brown water,and yes there were Sucker Fish on the water.Won't mention who I saw, but I am sure you can Guess who the usual suspects were.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
quatin

Got suckered my first charter in Florida. Haven't even moved yet, but flew down here to check things out. Hired a sport charter in Lauderdale, right next to Las Olas. I checked the weather, and knowing nothing about sea conditions, I pondered if 20 knots, seas 4-6 was too much. I called the mate the day before with my concerns and was told "Nah, weatherman lies all the time, it'll be fine." Wife blew chunks the whole time. The first mate almost got thrown out the deck when we cleared the inlet and said "Man, rough out here."
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatin View Post
Got suckered my first charter in Florida. Haven't even moved yet, but flew down here to check things out. Hired a sport charter in Lauderdale, right next to Las Olas. I checked the weather, and knowing nothing about sea conditions, I pondered if 20 knots, seas 4-6 was too much. I called the mate the day before with my concerns and was told "Nah, weatherman lies all the time, it'll be fine." Wife blew chunks the whole time. The first mate almost got thrown out the deck when we cleared the inlet and said "Man, rough out here."
I would of made them turn around and get my money back.
Taking customers out in 20knots and six foot seas is just wrong.
Don’t ever be another sucker Fish and let people know of the shady operation.Hit m where it hurts the worse, in there wallet.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
Scubadood

This weekend looks crappy, don,t be a sucker fish.
North Wind , 4 ft seas , 6 seconds apart.
Sucks , I wanted to go out and get my ARS .
Hopefully next weekend is better.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
Scubadood

Drove by Juno Pier this morning ,the ocean was mud ,who in there right mind would go diving let alone shark feeding today.
Seen a boat full of Sucker Fish today.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: Sucker Fish Don't Be One

Quote:
Drove by Juno Pier this morning ,the ocean was mud ,who in there right mind would go diving let alone shark feeding today.
Thanks for the conditions report. My buddy went out Sunday and encountered Lake Okeechobee dumping with dark water on the surface from Palm Beach to Jupiter. He said it was like night diving and regretted the decision to go diving. I imagine shark feeding in those conditions would be challenging.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
jfjf

Not too bad a week ago:

https://youtu.be/D6rWCiiWYgc

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Conditions were great today! 20 ft of murk on top but clear and blue after that
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
If I had based my decision whether or not to dive today on how the water looked at the pier i would have missed out on some amazing diving.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote