Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
denverpierce2

Destin Spearfishing

Hello, all! I'll be heading to the Destin area for vacation late thus summer. I'm new to spearfishing and I'm hoping to spear my first fish while there. I will be free diving and in my kayak. I understand the laws- 100yds from the beach, piers, jettiess, etc. I am trying to see if anyone could give me the location of some good spots to spearfish. I know there was a thread about Destin but they basically discussed the jetties and their legality only. It's too much of a grey area so I wont be going there. Any semi-shallow wrecks or anything like that? I would really appreciate the help! This was posted to another spot on here but I was told it should be here instead.

Also, the list of fish I cant spear is pretty long. What should I expect my prey to be besides maybe Snapper, Flounder, and Sheepshead?
denverpierce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Billybob
Gulf Breeze

Re: Destin Spearfishing

so unless you're coming within the next 18 days, you won't be shooting snapper. At least Red Snapper, which makes up 90% or more of the snapper you'll see. Flounder are easy to kill once spotted but can be quite difficult to spot, especially during the day time. I don't mean to get on a soapbox but it's absolutely horrible what the idiot bureaucrats have done to the private citizen/fisherman. If you will travel west a bit between Pensacola and Navarre there are spots within kayak range. there probably are out of Destin as well, but I don't know them.

do you have a GPS and bottom machine on your Kayak? if so here's you a crap load of numbers that should give you ample opportunity

https://www.floridagofishing.com/ree...ia-county.html

Remember, to check the open seasons, those village idiots change them on virtually a daily basis but the 3 major players that I'd expect you to see are:
1) Red Snapper (closes July 11)
2 Triggerfish (closed with no known re-open date)
3) Greater Amberjack (closed)

sorry I didn't have a more positive outlook for you
Billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Alec

There’s plenty of fish to shoot out of destin, the bubble blowers just don’t always see them stop by Benthic Ocean Sports
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
denverpierce2

Yes, I've noticed there are quite a few shallower reeds that way. I don't have one, unfortuanately! That's okay, thank you, Billy bob!

That's not the first time I've heard that! I will definitely be giving the m a call in the next few days! Thank you, Alec!
denverpierce2 is offline   Reply With Quote