Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Sea_Bass

Florida Artificial Reef GPX Files

I developed an online repository of downloadable .gpx files containing GPS waypoints of Florida's 3,500+ artificial reefs and wrecks, grouped by County.

https://flgpx.com

It's all free and it's all good. No email, no signup, no account, no money, no problems. The dataset is current. I update the files every time FWC update's their dataset (multiple times a year). Waypoints have very detailed descriptions. The files are compatible with all modern GPS navigation models and software.

Now I need your help. I need your help testing the files on your navigation equipment. I need your help testing other County waypoints. I've successfully tested Simrad and Garmin. I've successfully tested every County on the East coast. It is very easy, download desired files to a memory card and upload to navigation equipment.

Report back and tell me how it goes!

I will provide support if you need. We can use this thread, maybe it is worthy of a sticky. If newer members come around asking about dive spots in FL we can point them to this thread and/or the website.

I also have a support email on the site, but I'd rather use this forum.

Why is this special? My dataset is unique because it is constantly updated (FWC adds 70-100 wrecks a year). It is validated .gpx format universal to all GPS related equipment and software. It has detailed waypoint descriptions. It is broken up by County, being very flexible. It will be supported by me, within reason. And it is free, no gimmicks free.

Thanks for reading and I hope you find this dataset as useful as I have over the years. I would greatly appreciate if you passed this website along to others, either in person or social media or other forums. This will be a great resource for anyone that likes to Fish, Dive, Explore, and Enjoy all of Florida's fantastic artificial reefs and wrecks.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Florida Artificial Reef GPX Files

Wow, very nice of you! The artificial reef agencies should give you a commission for this.

Now I just need a gps (and a boat).
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Wow, very nice of you! The artificial reef agencies should give you a commission for this.

You can save yourself a copy of these files by purchasing the SeaMarks software program ($85.00) from Carl Andren in Melbourne, Fl. @ www.andren.com. I have been using this program to manage my LORAN/GPS numbers for over 30 years. Just download the SeaMarks program to your computer and save the GPX files to the program.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
jfjf

Thanks.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Sea_Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post

This project wasn't about money, but I'll take it haha! Jokes aside if FWC Division of Marine Fisheries wants help with their Data Management I can vastly improve their situation.

You don't need anything else but your smartphone. Get a navigation app that allows the upload of .GPX files (all the good nav apps do, even free ones). FLGPX is mobile compatible, you can download files onto your phone directly and then upload into a navigation app. You don't need a computer or GPS.

Where is that Navionic's chick? Her app does this very easy. Garmin has a free app that you can do this with. There are so many others. I would recommend one but I don't use them, I have a GPS on my boat and a handheld. But if I didn't, this is what I would do -> Use my phone or tablet with a navigation app and my site's GPX files.

Last edited by Sea_Bass; 09-19-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Sea_Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
You can save yourself a copy of these files by purchasing the SeaMarks software program ($85.00) from Carl Andren in Melbourne, Fl. @ www.andren.com. I have been using this program to manage my LORAN/GPS numbers for over 30 years. Just download the SeaMarks program to your computer and save the GPX files to the program.
Great software program! If I had a cabin and a large boat I would by running this with a laptop. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
Mikel_24

For anyone in need of a program to manage the GPS files, either GPX or GDB (Garmin propietary files) you can still download and install the Mapsourece (search for MapSource_6163.exe). Mapsourece is long discontinued (in favour of BaseCamp, the new software) but it is easily found on the net (and free).

Originally meant to be a version update (the last release by Garmin) if you double click on it as sis, it will try to check for a previous version already installed on your computer (obtained with the purchase af a Garmin GPS unit) and will not work.

HOWEVER if you unzip it (using 7zip, Winrar or any other equivalent software), you can then execute the "MSmain.msi" or "Setup.exe" (cannot remeber right now) and it will install the full version of the software in your computer.

The Mapsource will also allow you to upload this files/waypoints to your Garming GPS unit and download existing files/waypoints from your unit.

It also allows to change the file type ala GPSBabel (although limited to GPX/GDB types of file)

I hope this helps anyone in need of a free fully functional GPX management software.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:38 AM   #8
Sea_Bass

Thanks for the information Mikel, it's nice to know there are still some free options around for management. I tried GPSBabel and other free converters and none did exactly what I wanted, thus I created my own.

I gave up on finding a truly free navigation app for smartphones/tablets. Can anyone recommend? What I found is there are a few apps that are free upfront, you have to download maps for your area that are usually not free. Features are with-held from free versions of apps such as GPX import/storage/offline navigation with maps.

There have been lots of downloads of my files since I posted this, can someone confirm they were able to import the waypoints successfully? What navigational equipment you used? Thanks.

The attached image is how you get files from your computer to your GPS navigational equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory%20Card%20and%20USB%20Card%20Reader.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	244086  
Old 09-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #9
Mikel_24

I am glad it helps. I am a Garmin guy and I use mine for climbing/mountaineering, etc. And a few times for offroading in Moroco (mostly). So far I have been lucky finding free maps for Spain, Portugal, Morocco, The Pirinees and the Alps.

Usually I am more interested in tracks that I can follow (that I download from Wikilock mostly) than the waypoints themselves. For me it is more important to know HOW to get there than the point itself.

I understand that while navigating (with a boat) what is actually important is the WAYPOINT itself, given that unless there are any swallows or rocks you could crash into, you can pretty much follow a straight line from your current position to the desired destination.

What I mean is that MAYBE if you are just going to stick to those waypoints you don't even need the maps/charts. I think that the Garmin maps for sea navigation fall under the family Blue Charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
I gave up on finding a truly free navigation app for smartphones/tablets. Can anyone recommend? What I found is there are a few apps that are free upfront, you have to download maps for your area that are usually not free. Features are with-held from free versions of apps such as GPX import/storage/offline navigation with maps.
I know a few friends who are happy using ORUXMAPS and as far as I know, it is free to use. You can also use georeferenced pictures (for what is worth).

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote