Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #151
kodama

Re: Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

FYI
I got two of these shafts which both measure exactly the same.
With the first cone I tried to drill the inner diameter with a 7.5mm drill. Didn’t work so well so resorted to filing which was time consuming but accurate.

I will actually have to wait until June before I can do some serious hunting with this gun.
My local waters at this time have limited visibility and require small spearguns.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #152
kodama

I have remodeled the handle and before putting on a friction coat I tried two techniques to see which one I like more.

Left is epoxy with some fine sand I brought from Sardinia. I love the color but I am still unsure wether it might be too rough or not.

Right is some epoxy colored with graphite and then sprinkled with salt. The salt is then washed away and leaves a nice texture.
This technique was also used on the original handle it seems.

Maybe I will use a combination of both. First the sand and then another coat of clear epoxy sprinkled with salt.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #153
kodama

Here is the process of how I reshaped the handle. It wasn’t that bad to start with but far from perfect for my rather small hands.

The ring was too large for my taste, the square butt plate made it uncomfortable to ‘shoulder’ the gun on decent and the bumps in between the fingers would only work for larger hands or thick gloves.
Out came the grinder.

By the way I can confirm that the complete handle is carbon fiber and that this is a true monocoque gun.

I only had to add a small amount to of polymorph to make the handle perfect with the right amount of support. The original shape already wants you to hold the gun well aligned with your arm so little adjustment was necessary.

I then did some sanding and wanted to continue the apex of the line of the trigger guard into the handle. Staying in the theme of the shape besides being functional it can look good too. No blobs for me.

Then came two layers of CF wrapping.

A small ring in a heavier gauge.

Next up is the friction layer.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #154
Marco

Now there is a "true" Sigalsub speargun.

Take a look at it here:

https://pescasubapnea.forumfree.it/?t=76665641

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #155
kodama

Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Now there is a "true" Sigalsub speargun.

Take a look at it here:

https://pescasubapnea.forumfree.it/?t=76665641

I am aware of the new Nemesis gun and have seen it before.

But it is a simple pipe gun. Not the one we are discussing here.

Why is this a ‘true ‘ sigalsub gun to you?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #156
Marco

Nothing bad with yours, which is awesome (and now became better for your hand), but as said before it was made by Carbontek in Spain and rebranded by Sigalsub, who I suppose provided the mechanism, metal parts and the shaft.

BTW, the square butt plate (for me) is very good to lever the handle at that point and move the gun vertically. I love it in my Mares Pneumatic Cyrano.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #157
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Nothing bad with yours, which is awesome (and now became better for your hand), but as said before it was made by Carbontek in Spain and rebranded by Sigalsub, who I suppose provided the mechanism, metal parts and the shaft.

BTW, the square butt plate (for me) is very good to lever the handle at that point and move the gun vertically. I love it in my Mares Pneumatic Cyrano.

I can see how one thing works for someone and something else for another.

I think you are right about the gun being made by Carbontek. I emailed the company/maker but never received a reply.

The nemesis seems like a nice pipe gun. I believe they took care in designing it. Would love to try it if I got the chance. And not expensive either.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #158
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I have remodeled the handle and before putting on a friction coat I tried two techniques to see which one I like more.

Left is epoxy with some fine sand I brought from Sardinia. I love the color but I am still unsure wether it might be too rough or not.

Right is some epoxy colored with graphite and then sprinkled with salt. The salt is then washed away and leaves a nice texture.
This technique was also used on the original handle it seems.

Maybe I will use a combination of both. First the sand and then another coat of clear epoxy sprinkled with salt.
Great progress.
Just not sure of the idea of doing two coats. My thinking is that if you first do the sand and then add epoxy again for second coat, a lot of that epoxy will fill out the voids in the first layer and reduce its grip... This is speculation, of course, but when I did my friction layers, I noticed that the more epoxy you use, the less grip you get. So, perhaps make a test before committing to two layers?
Other than that, it looks great
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:52 AM   #159
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Great progress.

Just not sure of the idea of doing two coats. My thinking is that if you first do the sand and then add epoxy again for second coat, a lot of that epoxy will fill out the voids in the first layer and reduce its grip... This is speculation, of course, but when I did my friction layers, I noticed that the more epoxy you use, the less grip you get. So, perhaps make a test before committing to two layers?

Other than that, it looks great

Yes I think you are right. I will apply one layer first and probably keep it like that unless it feels too rough. In that case I may apply a second coat to smooth it a bit.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #160
Marco

On the grip thing, I have done the epoxy, sugar, wash thing in the past and it works perfectly. Sugar better than salt in my opinion. The grain is bigger and the grip comes out better.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 AM   #161
kodama

Just to be complete in the information I provide. The core of this gun is built around a polyurethane foam core. I am still unsure how exactly it is produced since I am inexperienced with Carbon Fiber moulding but I think it is composed of two similar half's joined together.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #162
Marco

Check this out:

You may like the barrell.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #163
kodama

Thanks for reminding me. I ran into that video about a month ago while researching Carbon Tek.
And yes you are correct I do like that barrel and was thinking to use it for another build I am planning.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #164
Marco

Immersion has a nice barrell too. I got a 125 and put together a very nice roller. I used a Picasso handle, MVD muzzle, Riffe shaft and 14.5 small ID Primeline bands.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #165
kodama

@spearq8
Based on your experience with this gun do you think the placement of the mono would affect performance or accuracy?

Usually I always rig my mono on the shark fin but most of my Mediterranean spearfishing buddies rig it true the hole in the shaft.

The mono enters the mechanism along with the shaft. I don’t think it will have in effort on the DR but I will try to squeeze every bit of performance out of the setup.