Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Kook

RI diving alone?

Beginner question. Been spearing for about 2 years in ri off the shore and off a boat. It’s been tough to find people to go when the conditions are good. From reading this board it seems many dive alone most of the time in RI. All the things I read say you should buddy up, but we can’t see very far so what good is it anyways? Are most of you that go alone just taking the risk or am I missing something?
Kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Diver278

Re: RI diving alone?

Anytime you dive alone your taking a risk. I've been diving since 1993 on scuba and just in the last three years i started free diving which i suck at can't hold my breath that long. Well i am 66 years old but at least i try. I dive solo most of the time cause like you i can't find anyone to dive with. Even when i do dive with someone the vis is just like you can't see shit and always come up alone. I'm not saying its ok its not but it is what it is. But i set my limits when scuba diving i don't go past 45 feet and dive only in open areas like reefs no kelp when alone.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
cougarprey

Re: RI diving alone?

I go with a buddy if he is available. If he’s not, I may go alone to a place I am comfortable with and try to be very conservative with my breathup and dive times, none of which is a guarantee of safety. With the vis up here, I think people put getting shot by your buddy as a bigger concern, right or wrong who knows. You could always put a post on here if you are planning to go, hard to get a response if its spur of the moment though. Join a club, tristate skindivers, MA freedivers, etc. check facebook to find clubs. Going alone, shallow water blackout aside, is not ideal. When do you usually go? Where are you located? Maybe someone needs a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cougarprey is offline   Reply With Quote