Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > 2006 St. Pete Open

2006 St. Pete Open Check this forum for news, rules, updates, and other discussion about this year's St. Pete Open Tournament -- August 18, 19, and 20, 2006

Old 08-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Capt.Gene

Wow, that was STUPID! Screw up Storys from the St.Pete Open

Entertaining storys of momentary mental midgetry from the diving Saturday.
I can tell two or three but I'm not going first because it's my idea!
Capt.Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
ObieWan2bWet
Stupid should hurt

Re: Wow, that was STUPID! Screw up Storys from the St.Pete Open

Hey Gene, its only fair if you step up to the plate, to go ahead and take a swing...

A HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE WILL REMAIN IN PLACE,
EAST WINDS 5 KNOTS. SEAS 1 FOOT.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS SMOOTH.
ObieWan2bWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Capt.Gene

OK by popular request!
On my first drop in 135' Saturday I strung up a 26" gag and a pair of red snappers before I discovered I was quite narked.
I noticed, through the brain fog, a spearshaft laying on the sand beside an opening in a rock pile.
As I swam to it I also saw a big grouper carcass laying on it's side in the hole beside the shaft. I could only see a mid section piece of the fish in the hole.
The carcass was torn up pretty good and my thought was I was looking at last weeks kill from someone else's trip to the pileline. The spear shaft looked like it was covered with dust and maybe even rusty. So I deduced!
It never crossed my mind to put another shaft into this carbo!
When I piced up the shaft I was amazed when the fish righted itself and swam out the back door. Of course before I could recover.
It looked like 40 pounds swimming away.
Back on the boat, Kriz thanked me for bringing his shaft up. He had hit a very big grouper with a hail mary and had spent the entire dive trying to find the fish or the shaft.
My tale #1.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

Heck that's nothing....lots of people could have done that, the blood might have been a giveaway though. You might want to get your eyes checked.
Looked for you at the weighin, sorry I missed you.
Guess I'll go second, I dropped down on my second stop for the day on (well I'll just call it the MAKE A WISH Wreck). It had been taken over by Jewfish since my last visit a month or so ago during the So. Open tourn. I had left a nice Carbo there that I hoped would attract some larger buddies by now. These three bruzers were hovering over the wrk in commen JF fashion that was absolutely covered in bait. Looked like I could make out another couple under the bait school now and then when they opened up for a split second or 2.
I settled in a few feet from the wk/baitball and looked around expecting to see at least a couple nice gags, ARS, or hogs. Nothing but 4-5lb. mangs visible and at a couple hundred feet that was the last thing I was interested in. At that point I was prepared to totally shut down kill mode after swimming around to the one favorite hole of the blacks. About this time a jewfish swims over to me to take a look and the bait ball parts revealing the largest Carbo I've ever seen. In fact I had to check the tail TWICE to convence myself I wasn't making it up. The problem was that the fish (hidden behind the bait earlier) was only about 3 feet in front of me looking right at me after just taking a breath, my gun pointed at the surface along my body. I new if I ex-haled or moved very fast that he would be gone. We staired at each other for a few seconds and I new I had to make a move. I tried to slowly bring my gun up, but he had seen enough and was out of site into the sand in just a few seconds leaving me shaking my head wondering what I could have done. So goes the story of another one that got away!
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
junior

I had a stringer swim away with a fish I thought I'd stoned. I laid it down in the sand while I worked a snapper out from under a ledge. Turned around and it was gone. First thought was the tax man took it. I searched for a minute then went to surface to get rid of the snapper and get a new stringer. Back dove the ledge, picked up six bugs and found my stringer stuffed deep under the ledge with the supposedly dead fish still fighting
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Capt.Gene

Next, my THIRD biggest bone head move of the weekend.
..Note to self for next year..When going by boat to weigh in, dont leave paperwork in truck 20 miles away.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh

Of my hundreds of dives I've only seen one other Cobia and that was 2 years ago, and even then the water was pretty murky but it had the distince cobia shape to it. I rarely dive shallow enough to come across them.

There I was looking for bugs on the bottom and wouldn't you know it, one swims by pretty quick. A big one too. Looked just as long as John Hermes is tall. At least 30 lbs. I had only enough time to aim and do a hail mary shot at it. I found out the hard way that the kill spot on a cobia is not its ass.
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
f94gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandezh
A big one too. Looked just as long as John Hermes is tall. At least 30 lbs. I had only enough time to aim and do a hail mary shot at it.
So taking into account the Fernandez BS factor - it was probably closer to 15...
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by f94gator
So taking into account the Fernandez BS factor - it was probably closer to 15...
It's reported size has already shrunk significantly...at first he said it was as long as I am tall
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

Hector..... tried to warn ya

Doug... you must have been on a good spot

Voice your opinion...join FRA!!

Divin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Nsearch

Note to self: After signing weigh-in slip, pick up category tickets
Old 08-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
inletsurf

Quote:
Note to self: After signing weigh-in slip, pick up category tickets
No shit, i did the same mother f**king thing.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #13
JimW
Aquatic Enthusiast

Not shooting an AJ on our first drop... we dove a big spring targeting AJs. I thought they were all borderline legal.... but they were all 33" and 19#. I made the decision to not take one, and to hopefully get a large one later in the day. NOT... never happened

So, I didn't get in the AJ catagory Everyone else in the boat got one on that dive...

JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
jeepshapes
right coast represent

didn't check to make sure my slip on line rig was still on when i went it as i had put it in the gun rack with it attached. approached biggest aj in the school and let fly to watch to shaft blow straight through and on into the deep blue yonder minus line hook up. no worries though as the guy who made it for me was the one who slipped it off. so i am in no position to complain but we will say he is the kinda guy to forget his catagory tickets

jeep
jeepshapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Lv2divdown
Safe ascents always

Send a message via AIM to Lv2divdown Send a message via Yahoo to Lv2divdown

When diving on any boat, always double check the fuel! Regardless of topping it off only several days before! Always check your fuel. Lesson Learned at St. Pete Open 2006… Only two dives, plenty of time, mix and energy to kill more fishYET no fuel… SEATOW time… Missed weighing in by hours and the dam kitchen at the hotel closed minutes before arrival at 23:00. Sure as hell glad I didn’t waste money on a Lottery ticket! Side note; with the cost of fuel what it is, unscrupulous kids and thief’s see boats on trailers as portable reservoirs. I think I’m buying someone a couple of locking fuel caps… other wise the boat ran perfect!
Lv2divdown is offline   Reply With Quote