Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Fishy_Killa
#breakwallmob

Winter Tuna (Part 2, 3 and 4)

A few weeks after i shot my fish and just a week before going back to school, I got some good info that the BFT popped up near San Diego. The boys and I made a plan to run offshore that upcoming Saturday, the wind was good enough so we took off with 4 guys in a 17 Whaler. The swell of that week had just peaked so it was a hectic run for a bit. We found some bait with seagulls and seadogs all over it but no tuna. We talked some shit, had a beer and headed up the line. Around 1pm i was on the bow glassing w no bino's and i spotted a small bird pile with 4-5 Tern birds, i knew immediately it was fish. Everyone busted ass to get ready, except me i was boat man for the day haha. We dropped Josh 100 yds in front of the pile and he swims no more that 20' off the boat, takes a dive and shoots a 60#er. Took him some time to land it, we took some pictures and took off. I found the same pile 30min later in the direction I saw em go. We sent Patrick in this time and he had a 70# on the boat in 10min. Not to bad for sketchy offshore run in January.

.....A few days after that the wind cleaned up again. Sam, Dylan, Steel, Austin and I headed offshore to have fun, shooting fish was a bonus to us. We kind of just messed around for a few hours and got called In by our good friend who had full speed foamers pop up around his boat. We got there 45min later, metered around for 15 minutes and found a meatball. Dropped Austin and Steel in to have have a look. Austin put tuna number 4 of the year on the boat in 10 minutes. Pretty rad start to the year!

Josh with his 1st Tuna

Patrick's first aswell

One of Austin's many...

SpearAmerica.com
Fishy_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Winter Tuna (Part 2, 3 and 4)

Excellent pics and story...Should inspire all of us to get ready! What brand/model red/clear fins are in the photo? They look super flexible and a good choice for us old guys....my 72-year old legs need to upgrade to a more flexible fin....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Marco

Great pics!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
danaslayer
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Excellent pics and story...Should inspire all of us to get ready! What brand/model red/clear fins are in the photo? They look super flexible and a good choice for us old guys....my 72-year old legs need to upgrade to a more flexible fin....
Pathos pockets and spear america fiberglass blades! Love them and they're soft/flexible, also more affordable than most

After missing a couple rat bluefin in 2014/2015 (due to lack of range with my 120) and tearing off one in 2016 it felt GREAT to finally put one on deck with the boys
Old 03-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
malibujohn

nice fish. Really nice pics.
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

Thanks for the info....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
apeogre