Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #106
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Speaking of Uncle Petros...I just got like the 9th package from him in the past couple weeks....wonder what we have here..

20 more feet of 14mm bands and 15ft of standard black 16mm bands for my friends when I need to re-up their guns. The Booster Kit that Spearq8 helped develop, as well as my favorite Meandros number 3 Articulating Wishbone for railguns.

Although, while the gun has a rail, its kind of hard to simply pass this off as a rail gun, even in its stock form.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-23-2016 at 07:07 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #107
Marco

These pictures are of an 8 mm shaft with a decent flopper (not recessed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvimar 8 mm.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	230588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvimar 8 mm 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	230589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvimar 8 mm 3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	230590  

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #108
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I working on modifying something to address just that. Although to be totally fair, Ive never had an issue what so ever with these spears.

Thank you for posting Marco, I do appreciate it. I hope you and your family have a Happy Holidays as well!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #109
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Thank you for posting Marco, I do appreciate it. I hope you and your family have a Happy Holidays as well!!!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #110
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Got my test spear from GR today, looks great. I am going to order 3 more just like this but with 2 shark fins and have them put all the way to the mech. Its so nice to be able to send a simple and quick message to him and have my items show up in 2 days. Seriously cannot beat that kind of service, if you guys need anything, should seriously check out Red Tide Spearfishing. http://redtidespearfishing.com/

Since the spray guns I normally use cost more then the speargun it self, i decided to pick up a cheap but still good paint sprayer on ramazon for these kind of quick projects. I was kind of bummed it doesnt come in pink but purps will work..

Last edited by kwtony; 12-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #111
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Got tons of work done today despite being freaking slammed at the Jet Ski Rental I even worked on my 130 pathos as well as two other guns.....ohh boy, where do I begin...

I spent the better part of morning finishing the muzzle. Its not 100% perfect, but its good enough for who its for..I sanded, smoothed, filled, and did it over again a few times. The body of the gun is silly smooth as well. A few coats of primer and about 4 coats of flat white paint.

I should have made this simple gun holder a LOOOOOONG time ago.

Muzzle on its own board to rotate as I painted...

Work on the 130. Remove the Kwtony part on the bottom since a reel is there, and did a few simple touch ups.Filled in holes on the handle and also closed up the hole on the right side where the line release goes. I used polymorph to do this and it took me all of 3 minuets to heat up the kettle.

This is my usual setup and it works fine...just a tad ghetto...

Got all festive n shit today...

My respirator crapped out, it was either this or don my scuba gear for the 5 minuets it took me to do this. Instead I worked on my apnea skills and did NOT inhale...

Best stuff in a can hands down...

Sweet jesus this stuff is incredible..

Pictures will not ever do this gun justice, but I will break out the real camera and take pics once its fully assembled...

You guys are going to freaking LOVE this....if pearl white is your thing of course...
Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #112
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Muzzle in, should have closed off one hole and only used one, maybe even a pin...I hate screws...

This gun is gorgeous. Trigger in place, figured it would chip paint less when its still maleable. I can touch the gun, but im doing my best to just hold the handle and lay the gun on the spear.

I ordered another can of clear, since i burned through my whole can of it and will do a few more coats on it over the next few days. This paint job is one of my best, and I dont say that too often...Ill save pics for when I have sunlight to really enjoy the true color of the gun.

I might lay another coat of pearl and then blend in the clear again to give it that depth..I have progressively painted a motorcycle where i added 10-20-40-60-80-100% clear to my paint layers. It ultimately ended up being 100% clear but the depth of the paint was unlike anything I have ever seen from even the most basic colors, let alone a candy or pearl. Something to consider when painting your gun, after dozens of these, if you do it right the first time, you wont have to re do anything later on.

Happy Holidays !!! Time to go play with my doggies.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #113
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Such a nice fit

The belly of the gun that used to be 2 pieces. Looks pretty good now

This pearl is stunning. Going to do a few touch ups over the next few days,

the muzzle line guide worked perfectly the first time...ill do a write up on how I did it later.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #114
Freshy

This is turning out nice. I look forward to the updates on this thread Tony, keep them coming
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #115
ReefShark
Jay

Back to your tinkering shenanigans eh... You're thee best tinkering tinkerer around here...lol

Question. Why the number 3 meandros wishbone? I thought u had to go in order (Those mdros wishbones are real nice btw)
And i thought u were a dyneema wishbone guy. Aren't those gonna scratch that nice paint job?

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #116
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
Back to your tinkering shenanigans eh... You're thee best tinkering tinkerer around here...lol

Question. Why the number 3 meandros wishbone? I thought u had to go in order (Those mdros wishbones are real nice btw)
And i thought u were a dyneema wishbone guy. Aren't those gonna scratch that nice paint job?

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Haha, I just bought new jet skis and I dont have to work on them as much any more, so im taking all this free time and putting it to good use

I only use one wishbone on rail guns like this, whatever band is closest to the mech, no scratching issues at all. With all the time I put in these, i wouldn't use them if it did. Currently 4or 5 guns are set up with these. One being my 3 banded wahoo whacker and then all my rail guns under that. I think I have one on my 2 band reef gun from Impaler as well. I will be posting a new thread on that gun in the near future.

There is no specific order that you have to go on with these. I just tried 3 and 4 and found that 3 was more then enough spacing to get the sigh picture that I wanted. In fact that misnomer might lead people into thinking they need more then one of these. When in fact, unless you are shooting over 4 bands, you really dont.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #117
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I think one of the funniest parts of the build was when I was laying the pearl down and had my mask on with my spray gun, hunched around the speargun gun and my customers started pulling up on a jet ski. I can watch them come up the canal, but wearing a kilt and a Santa hat it had to have been a funny sight to see for them...

I really really liked how the belly of the gun turned out. It really looks like it was part of the gun, which is a complete opposite of what it looked like when I received it in the mail. I want to redo the muzzle again and make it perfect. It has a few imperfections that I simply dont want and I think I am going to redo the plugs for the bands, instead of using polymorph i think Im just going to use the lightweight poly marine body filler, much easier to sand and when it dries it'll be harder then the plastic. I will also fill in the un-needed grove on the right side as well as slightly widen the other side I use since there is both a primer, paint but also clear that caused binding.

The line guide works flawlessly the interesting thing I did was actually use the bit to a small screw driver. I pulled it from the handle that it was set in and tightened it up in the chuck of my drill. I then found the perfect spot at the proper angle for the metal to diagonally enter into the muzzle and use friction and heat to make the hole. Once i stop drilling i hold still while the plastic sets and boom the metal is bonded to the plastic and has no chance of coming out unless you use pliers or reverse the steps. I have done this quite a few times over my life so be sure to practice your angle and make sure you gun is steady and held im place. Im going to hit the metal with a file and clean it all up, once I repaint it, itll look like part of the gun.

Originally I had made the handle a white with silver swirl in it. Im kind of debating on changing that up. My 3lb bag of polymorph is on its way so ill have to wait at least a few days for that, but I want to figure whether or not I should do an all white handle, a black handle or keep with the white with silver swirl. Alternatively I could do a do swirl to follow with the blueish purple pearl that it has in it already....what do you guys thing?? Taking suggestions...
Old 12-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #118
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I also have some very big new as well as far as the development of this line of guns and our understanding of the basic concept of speargun building and how the shoot.

Petros of Spear America has generously agreed to donate ANOTHER 125 Pathos Sniper, so that I can open the track to not only test how it shoots with a 7.5mm spear, but also an 8mm spear. Since I already have figured out the proper way to open the track up, I offered to do this for him and then give him the gun back to keep for his own, cause lord knows he wont want to sell it after I get done with it

Since having one the only open track in the states that I currently know of this gives me the opportunity to pair it up with one of the only enclosed track 8mm version of the EXACT same components. Literally use the same bands, spears, shooting line and shooter. This is going to be filmed and edited in a manner that is easy to understand and comprehend. Stay tuned for this big project, as its going to be pretty interesting to see how it works out.

Now Im sure Mr. Spearq8 already know the answers to this, so dont come in here and go spoiling it for everyone now
Old 12-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #119
spearq8

Ah ok ... so they do have an ET 8mm version. I think that should have been the default ET setup as you can put a 7mm shaft in an 8mm ET (if the fins are high enough) but you cannot put an 8mm shaft in a 7mm ET. Even putting a 7mm shaft in the ET version I have feels like it is too tight ... and that is with a brand new spear which is supposedly still super straight.

8mm should be no problem as I have done that on an identical band stretched gun that is 45% lighter for almost 2 years with over 1000 shots (Pathos Carbon 130). Actually on my Sniper 125 ... that will be the default setup! BUT .... 2 THINGS HAVE TO BE CHANGED ... one is of course the handle (needs to be shaped properly) ... and the other is the trigger. The Ermes kit is of course a huge improvement over the original trigger as it is thicker and harder, but on the 8mm setup I only use kolsterized sears. Not saying that it won't work with the Ermes kit ... only that I have not tested it with a huge number of shots. So I would keep an eye on the sears to make sure they are not getting scratched ... and most likely this will not be a problem. But kolsterizing increases hardness by 10x to 15x ... and that gives peace of mind.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #120
spearq8

A picture is worth a thousand words! almost 10x higher loading ... yet zero scratching! I don't understand how a speargun manufacturer can see this picture and not do something about it !!!

Last edited by spearq8; 12-26-2016 at 02:58 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote