Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #16
jfjf

Re: Is it worth it? deep wrecks on tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcubasteve View Post
....- why spend 6 minutes when you can spend a half hour?? .
Answer:

Because often that is all the time it takes to get a big fish and get the hell out of there. Do you really have experience spearfishing at 170 feet for half an hour?

One guy is talking about doing 30 second bottom times and the other is doing 30 minutes??
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
mx5coco

just man up and free dive to 200... chuck noris does it with 10 mins bottom time
mx5coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
plngl

jfjf ,whats the best nitrox blend to do 2 or 3 dives in 140' with say half hour surface intervals?
plngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by plngl View Post
jfjf ,whats the best nitrox blend to do 2 or 3 dives in 140' with say half hour surface intervals?

3 dives in 140 feet with 30 minute surface intervals.....uhm.. lets see, "Depends"... or maybe ..... "wheelchair gas" ... or "I'm coming HOME, Jesus - mix"...

I'm not sure I can answer that question for you. I think your nitrox instructor told you to keep your PP O2 to around 1.4 (for spearfishing), you would want to keep your BT short and do a deep stop. It would be better to not exceed the no-deco limits and I think you need to have some redundancy (like a pony bottle). Most anyone who is qualified to give you advice on this (and I am not) would encourage longer surface intervals.

In any case, I suggest a very gradual progression into more aggressive diving, and make sure you have oxygen on the boat.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #20
plngl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
3 dives in 140 feet with 30 minute surface intervals.....uhm.. lets see, "Depends"... or maybe ..... "wheelchair gas" ... or "I'm coming HOME, Jesus - mix"...

I'm not sure I can answer that question for you. I think your nitrox instructor told you to keep your PP O2 to around 1.4 (for spearfishing), you would want to keep your BT short and do a deep stop. It would be better to not exceed the no-deco limits and I think you need to have some redundancy (like a pony bottle). Most anyone who is qualified to give you advice on this (and I am not) would encourage longer surface intervals.

In any case, I suggest a very gradual progression into more aggressive diving, and make sure you have oxygen on the boat.
thank you i needed to hear that.
plngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
4the3

These days, if you want really big fish in the Gulf of Mexico, you need to be in the 150'+ and really 200'+ with results like the attached pics. Some places way north or way south can produce large fish in shallower water but those are usually rare and must be coordinated with the right conditions (temp & food sources. That also is dependent on the species too as you can find big AJ in deep water but don't have to dive deep for them (unless your shot placement is poor and they take you deeper than expected). I would suggest proper training for the deep diving – no big fish is worth your life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120708_carbo.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	184153   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Hogfish1.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	184154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray - AJ.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	184155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray Carbo.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	184156   Click image for larger version

Name:	cuberra.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	184157  

4the3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I agree with everything just posted. I was going to basicly say the same thing.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Nice fish 4the3 !!!

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Mighty KC

230' on an 80? I live here in the Northern gulf, and I have personally never seen anyone do that. Heard a lot of adventure stories about guys doing that, but I wouldnt try it. Especially since I quit using scuba about 25 years ago. Be safe, a lot of guys have been hurt around here diving deep on air.
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
BIG C

I run alot of trip here in Louisiana and here is the biggest mistake guys make trying to dive deep.

1. They arent honest about how deep they have been so they plan on a dive to 180 (or whatever) knowing that they have never been that deep. Of course when they get their they dont know how that depth will affect them.

2. They decide to shoot the biggest fish they have ever seen at a depth at which they have never been at. Result, they have no idea if they can handle a fish of that size.

What comes next is obvious. I get back to the boat and the new guy is white as a ghost, missing his gun and does not want to talk about it.

Dont combine doing your deepest dive with shooting a record fish. You need to learn do dive deep first, then learn to deal with larger and larger fish.

Now when their is a new guy on the boat, I dont bring them to deep rigs unless I can trust they wont do something dumb.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG C View Post
I run alot of trip here in Louisiana and here is the biggest mistake guys make trying to dive deep.

1. They arent honest about how deep they have been so they plan on a dive to 180 (or whatever) knowing that they have never been that deep. Of course when they get their they dont know how that depth will affect them.

2. They decide to shoot the biggest fish they have ever seen at a depth at which they have never been at. Result, they have no idea if they can handle a fish of that size.

What comes next is obvious. I get back to the boat and the new guy is white as a ghost, missing his gun and does not want to talk about it.
Dont combine doing your deepest dive with shooting a record fish. You need to learn do dive deep first, then learn to deal with larger and larger fish.

Now when their is a new guy on the boat, I dont bring them to deep rigs unless I can trust they wont do something dumb.
Very true And.. that is what happens if the guy is lucky...

I've had people BS me too, with similar results....
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
mjmoore83

You said it BigC. Do not lie about your deepest dive to a charter, I use to hate that and I know you are full of crap. I need to know how many dives you have done while spearfishing and how deep you have been so I know if I have to babysit you or not. And dont tell me how you caught a 280lb tarpon and a 65lb king salmon in the Florida Keys last year either becuase you make me want to punch you in the face.

Diving deep is a serious thing; getting nitrogen narcosis and/or making a bad shot placement at depth is bed news. The guy who started the post got the proper training but admits he does not have the experience here in the states. Other people talked about diving deep on nitrox; most people think nitrox as 32%O2, it will kill you at depth "oxygen toxicity". For others reading this GET THE PROPER TRAINING and don't try to be a big man and push your limits.

For the guy who started this post. It is totally worth it diving deep. I live in South Carolina and just about all of the giant fish we shoot come from much deeper than most people dive. I like deep live bottom; all the wrecks around here are hammered by recreational fishermen and divers so we stay away from them. If I could freedive to 180ft I would but I like my bottom time. But 5 or 7min on the bottom is plenty of time to load up a stringer if you make good shot placements and dont mess with shooting line. Just my 2 cents

Dont come in untill you run out of ice or the fishbox is full
mjmoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #28
waterpirate

I would add

please do not show up at the boat to do your deepest dive, shoot your best ever fish, for your FIRST ocean dive!!!!

What happened to common sense? guess it aint so common anymore. BTW helium is the best thing to happen to deep diving since sliced bread.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
spearo #uno
Senior user

Who needs all that stuff to bag a fish? After freediving and scuba diving for over 47 years I will tell you that my best memories spearfishing have been in 30 to 100 ft.
spearo #uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
ltwolf8

Can you guys tell me what Certifications you have? Because I have my open water, advanced, and masters certs. Do I need to take a tech class? because i am 100% sure the instructor would tell you guys not to dive below 130 without doubles or the proper deco stage bottles. And Nitrox is for longer bottom times, not going deeper. Why increase your chance at a nitrogen hit? I would say that most of you guys are bounce diving. Or am I wrong????

What fool would dive 230 on an Al 80?? There is a very good video on you tube about the dude that dives the blue hole on an AL 80 and gets narked and then dies in the sand at 300 feet.

What is your definition of proper gear?

Spearfishing has no buddy system, like wreak diving, you have to be self sufficient.

You can spearfish and dive safely at the same time, so what am I missing?

Last edited by ltwolf8; 02-09-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: for be*
ltwolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote