Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #346
JetBoy

Re: 100 Ways for a Rig Diver to Die

Wow! I’m only on page 5 of this thread but I’m reading straight thru to the end of it, for sure! Amazing stories, am I’m surprised at the things I’m finding out about rig diving that I’d have never thought of on my own. Great thread, thanks for starting it.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #347
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Ha. Yes, great thread. Luis and his crew were a blast at, I believe, the 2nd Spearboard Open. Many alphas drinking and telling stories. You could hardly get a word in edge wise. Their crew came all the way from Louisiana in a big ass motor home.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #348
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBoy View Post
Wow! I’m only on page 5 of this thread but I’m reading straight thru to the end of it, for sure! Amazing stories, am I’m surprised at the things I’m finding out about rig diving that I’d have never thought of on my own. Great thread, thanks for starting it.
Ok, it’s 12:15 AM and I just finished the thread. I seriously just couldn’t stop until the end. Now I HAVE to go to sleep...work calls in the morning. I’ve never spearfished on a rig although part of my open water checkout in ‘77 was on one. I’m wiser and humbler having read this thread. Thanks again Rok and stay safe.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #349
YoungMarine

Great thread. I'll add something I've learned to be more cautious of.

It has already been discussed to ascend with your hand above your head when freediving (even if you see nothing above you a wave could still send you into an elevated pipe once you breach the surface). You should also be very aware when descending. I usually try to keep my speargun/shaft tip in front of my head for protection, but that doesn't always work and I have broke the murk and hit/cut my head on a deck before (if I was kicking a little harder, who knows could have been knocked out). The last trip I was on I also broke the murk to see a random 10" open vertical pipe staring me in the face so don't get complacent and think that following a main rig leg down will keep you in the clear from hitting anything.

Stay safe out there. Let's hear some more tips.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #350
gcracker89

I have not been on much the past few years, But I remember when this thread came out I could not stop reading it. My question what has happened to Luis and the guys?