Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #46
spearomedic

Re: Any spearos in the Washington, DC area?

Are you taking the class with Dana of freedive nyc?
spearomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #47
David Lysy

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearomedic View Post
Are you taking the class with Dana of freedive nyc?
David Lysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #48
freedivemd

Everyone,
Ean and I are diving at Hydes quarry in Westminster MD on Sat July 25, 11 am.
Hydes has a 50 foot max depth.

http://hydesquarry.com/

All are welcome.

John
freedivemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #49
David Lysy

Hey John,

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, I'll be out in western VA helping to develop a new rock climbing area.

For reference, I'd love to join in the future, but generally need to schedule these kinds of things at least a couple of weeks in advance, as my schedule is very crammed (work, kids, climbing, etc.). I'll definitely put a priority on getting into the water, but in this case, I'd already committed to others to help them in the development of this new crag.

Cheers,
david
Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #50
freedivemd

OK David, see ya at the pool tonight!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #51
David Lysy

Hey all,

I'm taking my PFI level 1 course at Dutch Springs, PA over Labor Day. The class runs Saturday and Sunday.

If any of you might be up at Dutch Springs that weekend, would happily join you at the end of the class days to dive more (Saturday/Sunday). Alternatively, if anybody wanted to dive on the Monday holiday of Labor Day, then I could extend my hotel and car rentals for one more day.

Right now I'm driving back to DC on that Sunday night post-class, but would be psyched to dive Dutch Springs on that Monday if anyone is up for it.

david
Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #52
freedivemd

David,
I will try to go on Sept 7th to Dutch Springs with the following caveat: my pinched nerve in my neck is still a problem and the doctor told me stop all activity that stresses my neck or shoulders including swimming and diving. I'm hoping that things clear up by Sept 7th and that I can go. I will let you know as the time approaches.

John
Old 09-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #53
freedivemd

David,
Hope you had a good time at Dutch Springs for your freedive course.
The Annapolis pool has reopened after fall maintenance.
Are you ready to resume dive practice?

John
Old 10-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #54
David Lysy

All,

An update: I've moved to NH and will now be freediving cold, clear VT/NH lake waters for wrecks and getting into the ocean off ME, NH, MA, and RI. If you're ever in the neighborhood, hit me up. I'll be living in Hanover, NH (home of Dartmouth College).

Cheers,
david
Old 10-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #55
fishyak
Going deeper!

How was the Hydes quarry diving?

We had some 6-8' visibility in kent narrows last week after the rain flushed everything out! It was incredible but I never got in, this is just from the surface. It still looks like the best ive ever seen in here - probably closer to 4' though. Did anyone else notice this clear water and have a chance to take advantage of it?

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #56
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lysy View Post
All,

An update: I've moved to NH and will now be freediving cold, clear VT/NH lake waters for wrecks and getting into the ocean off ME, NH, MA, and RI. If you're ever in the neighborhood, hit me up. I'll be living in Hanover, NH (home of Dartmouth College).

Cheers,
david
Hi David, I lived in VT for quite a while and dove lake Champlain (off Burlington). Visibility ranges from 5-15'' depending on the wind/season. I have found best visibility in the winter (if you are willing to dive using dry suits; as the lake totally froze in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 (whereas most other years; just the bays would freeze.... Spearfishing is not allowed in lakes there (at least VT; not sure about NH)... Good luck and keep us updated !
Old 10-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #57
David Lysy

Thanks for the details on Lake Champlain. Definitely will keep folks posted. I'll be diving year round in a 7mm open cell suit paired with 7mm booties and gloves. That should work down to freezing (water temp). I'm freediving only, spear in hand in states where it's allowed. NH is OK vs. VT.

Hoping to hit smaller lakes as well, as when timed right, good vis can be had. Lake Winnipesaukee--biggest in NH--will definitely be a primary stomping ground -- close, size, lots of wrecks, good vis, etc.

david

Quote:
Originally Posted by getawayFK View Post
Hi David, I lived in VT for quite a while and dove lake Champlain (off Burlington). Visibility ranges from 5-15'' depending on the wind/season. I have found best visibility in the winter (if you are willing to dive using dry suits; as the lake totally froze in 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 (whereas most other years; just the bays would freeze.... Spearfishing is not allowed in lakes there (at least VT; not sure about NH)... Good luck and keep us updated !
Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #58
fishyak
Going deeper!

I went for a swim today, no gun, just the go-pro. there was 2-4' of vis! while not great, it was hunt-able!

I might go out again tomorrow and try to find something more than a puddle to dive in (30-40'). the weather looks like another beautiful day. Anyone want to go? The dinghy holds 2 and leaves out of kent narrows

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #59
freedivemd

Gabe, I'd like to go if I can get off work. I pm'd my cell number.
John

Last edited by freedivemd; 11-04-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #60
shootthegap

Hey David, I just moved up from Virginia Beach area to Arlington and also work in DC. I spear pretty often and am currently planning my spring/ summer trips.
shootthegap is offline   Reply With Quote