Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Fins369

Two Guns At In The Water?

Question for everyone. Now that stripers are showing up, and water clarity permitting, I'm planning on bringing my 100cm gun with me on dives. I'm hesitant though to use it if a nice blackfish shows itself, for fear of bending the shaft in the rocks.

Does anyone ever tether a 2nd, smaller gun to their float to grab if smaller fish around rocks present themselves during a dive?

I guess off a boat this isn't an issue cause it's easy to switch guns. But if you're doing an inlet or ocean jetty dive, you're kind of stuck with what is in your hand.
Fins369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Re: Two Guns At In The Water?

People do it all the time. Just strap the speargun to your float.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OMER Spearfishing Float.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	211794

Name:	Imersion Spearfishing Float.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	211795

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Orbayburak

i think its impractical. by the time you change guns you will be swept by the current and that nice blackfish will be gone. plus you dont want to tow a gun around the whole time youre diving. just buy an all-around gun that can do both. 100cm is too long for shore dives anyways.
Orbayburak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
spear&loathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
People do it all the time. Just strap the speargun to your float.

Attachment 211794

Attachment 211795
Do people really strap thier guns to the underside of their floats like whats shown in the first image? That Omer float is a joke. Obviously the guy doing the photo shoot had no idea what he was shooting. The Immersion float looks to be the same.
spear&loathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear&loathing View Post
Do people really strap thier guns to the underside of their floats like whats shown in the first image? That Omer float is a joke. Obviously the guy doing the photo shoot had no idea what he was shooting. The Immersion float looks to be the same.
Ya, the floats are kinda dinky compared to the overkill floats typically found here in the USA, but it is actually pretty common in Europe, Hawaii and Northern California to do this for the same reason you are asking about it.

The logic is to hunt the reef with your long gun, then use the smaller one for holed up fish. When hunting bluewater in places like Hawaii, the 2nd gun is used for a kill shot.

If you are put off by the OMER and Imersion floats, get yourself a Banks Board

Name:	Banks Board.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	211816

or some straps like these from Mako for your float.

Name:	MPIF-GS-2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	211817

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
spear&loathing

the banks boards are sweet but overkill for nj and ny though many guys use modified boogie boards. It's rare anyone shore diving would need to carry an additional gun here however I have carried one before. that omer float is junk and poorly designed. Mine lasted half a season. I dont know how omer went so wrong when most of their products are solid. I use a rob allen 11L and if I need to carry a second gun then I let it float off the back attached to a tuna clip.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
spear&loathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbayburak View Post
i think its impractical. by the time you change guns you will be swept by the current and that nice blackfish will be gone. plus you dont want to tow a gun around the whole time youre diving. just buy an all-around gun that can do both. 100cm is too long for shore dives anyways.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins369 View Post
Question for everyone. Now that stripers are showing up, and water clarity permitting, I'm planning on bringing my 100cm gun with me on dives. I'm hesitant though to use it if a nice blackfish shows itself, for fear of bending the shaft in the rocks.

Does anyone ever tether a 2nd, smaller gun to their float to grab if smaller fish around rocks present themselves during a dive?

I guess off a boat this isn't an issue cause it's easy to switch guns. But if you're doing an inlet or ocean jetty dive, you're kind of stuck with what is in your hand.
I think people are answering the wrong question. How to handle the fear that you will bend a shaft..

Are you using two bands on the gun? If so, unload one band and you should be good.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
nilsonov

been using the same 100cm single 20mm band gun for shore dives with the same shaft for about 4 years, shooting into sand, rocks, pipes, pilons, and no problems. quit making things complicated man.

but yea, 100cm is a bit too much for our typical vis
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
prop

comes with a leg holster
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrss/mar...tic-spear-guns
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
lidiver

When diving from shore i use a body board, and i put a 2nd gun on it. Sometimes the first gun breakes, either the shaft gets bent, or a band snaps or the visibility changes during the dive. Having a 75 and a 90 or 100 is a good combo, or a mid handle and a 75...
Stefan
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote