Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
JOHN ZIELLO
Go Dodgers!

Is there a difference between "indoor/outdoor carpet" and "marine carpet" help...

I am looking to redo the carpeting in my POS fishing boat nothing too fancy there is already that funky green carpet that looks like grass from a miniature golf place and I just want to go a step above that crap....

Anyways I was looking online and found marine carpet but the piece I need (6ft by 9ft) would cost me like a $100. I was looking at LOWES and they have some decent indoor/outdoor for like $35 for the same size piece...Does it make a difference? Do I have to get Marine carpet?

Last edited by JOHN ZIELLO; 08-20-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: worded the intro wrong
JOHN ZIELLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Re: Is there a difference between "indoor/outdoor carpet" and "marine carpet" help...

I think the marine carpet is not like grass at a mini golf place. It is little loops. But if you dont mind the fake grass look....go ahead. I am sure there is some nice indoor/outdoor stuff at Lowes that will hold up on a boat and look good.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
JOHN ZIELLO
Go Dodgers!

Re: Is there a difference between "indoor/outdoor carpet" and "marine carpet" help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1 View Post
I think the marine carpet is not like grass at a mini golf place. It is little loops. But if you dont mind the fake grass look....go ahead. I am sure there is some nice indoor/outdoor stuff at Lowes that will hold up on a boat and look good.
I changed the wording in my origional post I want to get away from the grass look but someone told me you need to put marine carpet or it wont last long at all.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Hey, it lasts on your porch in the weather for years, it should hold up for a year or 2 or 3. Then you can change it out.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I think the marine carpet, is actual carpet that doesnt get glued down like indoor outdoor carpet. Usually it is held down with snaps. How do you plan to have yours held on? I am sure you could put snaps in indoor outdoor carpet. Some indoor outdoor has rubber backing so it should be able to be used as stand alone without glue.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
JOHN ZIELLO
Go Dodgers!

I was going to staple it down thats how the current carpet is in now
Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Ranger1

Lowes actually sells marine grade carpet buy the foot.
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote