Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Diver278

Roller gun length

I have heard that a roller gun over a 110cm is to much. Can anyone explained why? I want to make my 130cm a roller cause I hunt in clear water we're I need to hit fish out to about 30 ft will I be able to achieve this?
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Marco

Re: Roller gun length

Are you able to hit anything at 30'?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Grizzlestomp

Based on my understanding, the real limiting factor on the length of rollers is being able to load the bands. Each centimeter of length over 110cm means you have double that in band stretch.

It all depends on how you measure the length of gun, too. I measure my builds from the end of the butt to the end of the muzzle, none of these complicated formulas other builders use. And I'm currently building a 150cm inverted roller.

Take a look at the big Alemanni double roller and the Vela 135. There are a lot of physics and parts involved, but these things are well over 110cm (however it is measured) and they are beasts.

You will also have to spend a lot of time configuring the bands and shaft to get a configuration that is possible to load and shoots a shaft stable and consistently.
Grizzlestomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

I shoot a bunch of 57" rollers. And I have a badass GR 135 double roller.

They all shoot like cannons. They shoot 30' but I don't take shots that long.

C
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
Diver278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Are you able to hit anything at 30'?
Good question. Not sure I haven't had a chance to. I was just asking cause I see fish that far out but can't get close enough to shoot. I shoot a 130cm with three wraps now. And converted my 90cm to a roller and was thinking of doing the same to my 130cm.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Josec84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Good question. Not sure I haven't had a chance to. I was just asking cause I see fish that far out but can't get close enough to shoot. I shoot a 130cm with three wraps now. And converted my 90cm to a roller and was thinking of doing the same to my 130cm.
Do it. I shoot a 100 and 110 roller and they are cannons. I see a bunch of grouper here in the gulf coast that used to stay out of range. I say used to because I have been smoking them with my roller. They think they are far away enough but that is definitely not the case anymore.
Josec84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
Marco

Quote:
That means that you must improve your technique. Make the fish get closer to you, not the other way.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Why stop at 30ft? Let's go for 40!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
spearq8

30 feet is a ridiculously long distance. A 130 gun with 2 wraps can go around 26.5 feet before your line stops ... so 30 feet means you have to go 3 wraps. While I think it is possible to configure a gun to successfully hit a target with power and enough penetration at 30 feet ... that is just crazy long distance ... and with a moving fish ... needs a LOT of skill and understanding of fish behavior and how they will react after the shot. A shaft is a pretty slow moving object in the water and you would need to shoot where the fish will be rather than shoot at where the fish is at. Nothing beats improving stalking skills and understanding the local fish behavior and how to close that distance ... either by getting the fish to come to you or finding a way to ambush it ... but of course a gun that can take fish at distance is a huge asset. In heavily hunted locations in clear water it can mean the difference of coming back with some fish rather than no fish. It is really interesting that fish in heavily hunted waters know how to keep just out of shooting range ... which is usually 5m for most guns. My guess is that the ones that get closer have already been culled out. In those situations having a gun that can shoot 6m to 7m is a nasty surprise for the fish.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Couldn't agree more on two things. Yes, Philippines can be a hard place to hunt and it's all about the skills. I recently dived with one of the best local spearos there and I was amazed at how in tune with the ocean he was. He shot a two banded 120 (perhaps a 130) in stock configuration and he landed some very nice fish, that I didn't even see.
He doesn't have a crazy, crazy bottom time nor is he super deep, but he just knows fish and the ocean like few other people and harvested some nice Spanish Macks, a doggie, some big rainbows and some great reef fish.
He has a great understanding of where on the drop-off/slope fish should be in terms of the current that day and an uncanny sense of when and where to dive when bait fish is around. He dives without a hood as sometimes, he can hear the macks whack their tails as they bolt into the bait - even though they are out of his vision - and that allows him to better his chances at pointing the gun in the right direction for once it turns up. It's the sum of all these little "tricks" that makes him such a good hunter.

Being the tinkerer I am, I will never give up on making my guns better but the real investment should be to spend time in the ocean and hanging out with spearos better than myself.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
Behslayer

the first thing I'd do is measure out 30' from the tip of your gun. Then see if that's actually how far you think it is.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Diver278

Thanks guys for the info. I was using 30' for an example cause two wraps is only around 20' or so on my gun. I was just curious if a roller will go further and if it was worth doing it to my gun.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #13
Ater22

Rob Allen said through his research that with a single roller without a kicker, 110 is the max you want to go. If you go any longer, you need a double roller or inverted or a kicker band etc. you don't gain any advantage going longer than a 110 with a single roller according to rob allen's research
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
SJspearo

OP, I have a 180cm custom double roller, 4 wraps shooting 60ft.
SJspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 PM   #15
Fishy_Killa
#breakwallmob

Quote:
I have heard that a roller gun over a 110cm is to much. Can anyone explained why? I want to make my 130cm a roller cause I hunt in clear water we're I need to hit fish out to about 30 ft will I be able to achieve this?
Why do you need to shoot 30'?

SpearAmerica.com
Fishy_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote