Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #46
Summerland Key

Re: No more hogfish in Atlantic Federal waters this year?

BTW, my term on the snapper/grouper AP is up in 2016 -- some of you should put your name in with the Council for my seat. Otherwise, spearfishermen will not have much of a voice on that AP.
I fell like I failed with the hogfish issue. We tried to head off a closure, with reasonable recommendations (size limit increase) that were supported by the majority of spearfishermen, but just could not get anywhere with the Council. Everything seems to hinge on highly complex stock assessments, even when there is a simple and reasonable solution that fishermen (spear and hook and line) suggest and support.
Having said the above -- I do think the staff of the Council does a great job. All are educated and understand the issues very well. But, they are not calling all the shots. I just don't know where some of the Council members are coming from at times.
Again, it is a flawed system. Don
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 AM   #47
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Very complex as you have a lot of factors and the fish are the easy part.

You have CCA that essentially is anti spearing,anti commercial and not really happy with consumptive fishing.They have paid and volunteer representative with an agenda to push

You have PEW etc with their agenda with paid lobbyists and representatives.

You have recreational and commercial guys with the kill everything mentality,who use the the most inopportune times to show up it seems.Make the rest of us look bad.

Finally,the environmentally responsible fishermen of various pursuits.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie and the loudest voices often are heard.

That doesn't take into account bureaucracy and the agendas of the staff and scientists.Which are even more diverse.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #48
Castronova
The Conch Republic

What is CCA and PEW?
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #49
Snapper Mangler

CCA is coastal conservation association. Like a rod and reel, catch and release thing. Don't know what pew is
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #50
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pew_Charitable_Trusts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coasta...on_Association

They are the enemy.Despite the eco-friendly sounding goals they are responsible for most of the impetus for area closures,banning specific gear etc...and not necessarily
based on science.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #51
Summerland Key

Tony:
As you know, the "pie" (quota) is only so big. The more people sitting at the table--the smaller the slices. This is the main reason we see certain user groups (rec. and comm.) trying to eliminate others--they want a bigger slice of the pie.
CCA is just another user group lobbying for a bigger slice of the pie for their constituents.
Some commercial fishermen/groups are trying to do the same thing.

One of the past directors of OFF once told me: "that if it were left up to the commercial and recreational fishermen to manage the fisheries -- the commercial fishermen would fish it down to the last fish and the recreational fishermen would hold a tournament to see who catches that one." I think there is a bit of truth in that statement.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #52
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Don,I think there are certainly a part of the population like that but the voices I've heard recently advocating more restrictive red grouper regs,longer fork length for hogs and having similar season for co-occurring fish to reduce bycatch were almost commercial fishermen,mostly spearfishing guys.Many of the rec guys have been obsessed with ARS up here lately to the exclusion of any other concern.That being said,most of my rec buddies are happy with current limits but not the closures or MPAs

I do know some of the former too and no amount of regs will keep them from breaking or skirting the law sadly.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #53
Summerland Key

Tony:
Yes, there are a lot of fishermen/divers out there that understand the issues and have made good recommendations to management. That was clearly evident during the hogfish fiasco--they were just ignored.
And, there is that segment that doesn't understand, never will, and does not want to understand. But, I think that is a minority these days.
Still, we have those that want the entire pie for themselves, and I don't think that will change anytime soon. They think their way of fishing is the only acceptable way and everyone should fish like them.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #54
stillinscrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
What is CCA and PEW?
Pew is effectively Walmart and other large chains. They want your public resource for sale in their freezers for their profit. They are good at what they do and are crushing the public in the process.
stillinscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #55
Rootbeer

Thanks for the update!

Follow Our Dive Team Adventures
on Instagram and Youtube ~Look for:
"TeamJesusFreakSpearfishing"
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote