Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #31
Dwikkles
It's what's for dinner

Re: Hali hotel

You sir...are a badass. snagged a couple decent ones last night myself.

We look forward to your vids
Dwikkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
apneanaut
Bryan

Send a message via AIM to apneanaut

Hell of a stringer. Is that just soy sauce, jalapeno and sriracha? Presentation looks great.
apneanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #33
FishNFool
Fishimis Decimus

VerY NiCE!!

Aqua Addict.

DiveR fins for life

www.speardeals.com
http://www.neptonics.com
http://www.freediveshop.com
www.nautilusspearfishing.com
FishNFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #34
Blue Man

Great pics. Congrats John.

PS. I hate you!
Blue Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #35
Bluewater1
Grab Life By The Gills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper View Post
Amazing haul man. This is great advice. Also, I like to overweight myself when targeting hali's. There so often in shallow that it helps to slow down and reduce fin kicks and movement underwater. This equates to fewer spooked fish. I try to make myself neutral at 6'-8ft depth. Don't neglect the flat reef or reef in general. Iv'e shot many right on the reef. When I approach a good area, I envision that a halibut is right in the spot, every spot. This really seems to make them pop out when they're actually there.
Oh like that 40lbr you are holding in your avatar haha. Nick come up to Santa Monica and lets hit PV or PD soon.
Bluewater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #36
MOTO 619
Brian S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
Its all about the terrain. Look for sand channels between rocks or eel grass, and when you find those areas you are literally looking inch by inch for eyes, a mouth, a tail or the outside fringe of their fins. I call it fossil hunting! Also make your drops SLOWLY and scan 360 degrees before setting off. Also, when you pull the trigger shoot at an angle for penetration. Even hard pack sand can stop a tip short if shot straight down. (very important). You will get lucky sometime and find them out on top of the sand, but even then you have to be quick with the shot cause they seem to bolt much faster if not covererd up. good luck and slow down!!!!
Thanks for the refresher course

Luck - When Preparation Meets Opportunity
MOTO 619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #37
malibujohn

Hit it after work 2nite and the vis had dropped off a tad. the south wind was blowin a little but the swell is minimal. Huntable or not, thats how I look at it and today was definately huntable. Still real fishy out there and It KILLED me to have to go to work this morn. with about 30 pelicans dive bombin right out front! Took a couple, spooked a couple and as always-had a great time!
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-17.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	155405 Click image for larger version

Name:	7-17b.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	155406
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #38
The Jewish Assassin
Jeremy

Quote:
Hit it after work 2nite and the vis had dropped off a tad. the south wind was blowin a little but the swell is minimal. Huntable or not, thats how I look at it and today was definately huntable. Still real fishy out there and It KILLED me to have to go to work this morn. with about 30 pelicans dive bombin right out front! Took a couple, spooked a couple and as always-had a great time!
Attachment 155405 Attachment 155406
Again, beautiful fish! So awesome that you can slay halis like that.
The Jewish Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #39
malibujohn

Okay! even for me today was a day to remember. Started off the day taking the r.i.b. up to point dume. Was greeted with sh-t vis and 59 degree water. Made a u-turn and started hitting up spots on the return trip home. vis was pretty poor but got a lil better the further south we got. Noticed a ton of birds workin inside at my new favorite spot and jumped in to take a quick recon. It was huntable and in 2 min. I saw a nice flatty and took em. Swam back and told my bud to suit up and headed back out. As I got inside the chovies were thick and that is when the fun started. First off I want to say I lost my stringer off my belt earlier and figured I would just swim one back -if I got one at all. Well, by the time I got back to the boat I had FOUR nice fished stacked up on my spear like a giant halibut fishkabob!!! (with one cali sandwiched in there). I would shoot a fish, brain it and push it up to the flopper, then just shoot through the fish over and over-unbelievable! EVERY drop I saw fish and I was about to pull the trigger on an easy 30 lb fish and he bolted. I had my limit within 15 min and was just blown away. Has anyone else ever seen halibut that thick? Crazy! Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	155716Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	155717 Middle fish was 38 in.
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #40
Chris Oak
the ghost

Jesus dude you're killing me, congrats on an epic streak!!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #41
ca.harvester
SCI Sand Dollar 2012

Quote:
Okay! even for me today was a day to remember. Started off the day taking the r.i.b. up to point dume. Was greeted with sh-t vis and 59 degree water. Made a u-turn and started hitting up spots on the return trip home. vis was pretty poor but got a lil better the further south we got. Noticed a ton of birds workin inside at my new favorite spot and jumped in to take a quick recon. It was huntable and in 2 min. I saw a nice flatty and took em. Swam back and told my bud to suit up and headed back out. As I got inside the chovies were thick and that is when the fun started. First off I want to say I lost my stringer off my belt earlier and figured I would just swim one back -if I got one at all. Well, by the time I got back to the boat I had FOUR nice fished stacked up on my spear like a giant halibut fishkabob!!! (with one cali sandwiched in there). I would shoot a fish, brain it and push it up to the flopper, then just shoot through the fish over and over-unbelievable! EVERY drop I saw fish and I was about to pull the trigger on an easy 30 lb fish and he bolted. I had my limit within 15 min and was just blown away. Has anyone else ever seen halibut that thick? Crazy! Attachment 155716Attachment 155717 Middle fish was 38 in.
I have yet to get a nice 'but and everytime I see your posts i get more jealous ...yuo should run a halibut charter pm me if you ever want to go out
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #42
The Jewish Assassin
Jeremy

Quote:
Okay! even for me today was a day to remember. Started off the day taking the r.i.b. up to point dume. Was greeted with sh-t vis and 59 degree water. Made a u-turn and started hitting up spots on the return trip home. vis was pretty poor but got a lil better the further south we got. Noticed a ton of birds workin inside at my new favorite spot and jumped in to take a quick recon. It was huntable and in 2 min. I saw a nice flatty and took em. Swam back and told my bud to suit up and headed back out. As I got inside the chovies were thick and that is when the fun started. First off I want to say I lost my stringer off my belt earlier and figured I would just swim one back -if I got one at all. Well, by the time I got back to the boat I had FOUR nice fished stacked up on my spear like a giant halibut fishkabob!!! (with one cali sandwiched in there). I would shoot a fish, brain it and push it up to the flopper, then just shoot through the fish over and over-unbelievable! EVERY drop I saw fish and I was about to pull the trigger on an easy 30 lb fish and he bolted. I had my limit within 15 min and was just blown away. Has anyone else ever seen halibut that thick? Crazy! Attachment 155716Attachment 155717 Middle fish was 38 in.
That is completely absurd and awesome! I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having a limit of halibut on their shaft. Absolutely crazy...
Congrats, you are so stoked!

:EDIT: You have given new definition to the term "speed-stringer"

Last edited by The Jewish Assassin; 07-24-2011 at 10:13 PM.
The Jewish Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #43
Freedive4life
Living the life

Quote:
Holy shit man!~! I need to start diving the Bu!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #44
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

You're on fire, right on!!
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #45
Namor
Goletard

Wow....

Jeremy