Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
Xylophone

Re: Moving to California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDave43 View Post
There are a few reasons I feel barred sand bass are worthy. 1 they are a lot less common in the areas I dive therefore are harder to find. 2 Iíve yet to have a sand bass come right up to me with no regard of any danger. Unlike sheepshead that will come right up and bump you. Because of that I donít think there is any challenge in shooting sheepshead. The only ďchallengeĒ is finding one. Lastly sand bass actually taste good unlike sheepshead or any of the other fish I mentioned. Also I said that it was simply my opinion of what is worthy take. If you disagree then thatís fine do as you will. If youíre upset by my line of thought whoopty-do I really donít care what you think.
Not upset, just curious. Every sandy or spotty I've ever seen has just sat there staring at me until I went to poke it with my finger so I don't really find them to be a challenge to shoot. The areas I dive are usually under more pressure so I haven't had any sheepies come to me and usually the "bigger" ones tend to swim away, admittedly they're pretty lazy about it though. True, sheephead don't fry very well, but try cooking them in a Thai curry, ranchero sauce or ceviche. They have a ton of meat on them too.

OP, I don't know about you, but I come from a family of meat fishermen. Try everything (except zebra perch) once, there's a lot of fish that are killer eating that aren't targeted much.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #17
cubanboys
cubanspero

Chamaco welcome to Cali. my boat is your boat.
cubanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #18
growingupninja
Lance

Welcome back. I haven't dove out of Destin in some years and my old man has also sold his boat but lots of great memories of spearing out there. Seems to be a much better freedive spearing scene there now, too.

You'll want a 5mm out here and generally our fish are much shallower but the hunting is more active and water maybe a little rougher. Our fish are difficult to approach from above compared to what I experienced shooting snapper and grouper out of Destin.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote