Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
aresodin
Slinging

Exuma Bahamas

Hi, wanted to see if anyone has speared around Little Exuma (Southern Exumas) or around the Georgetown, Hartwell area?
Spoken to most of the guys I know that spear Exumas (Norman’s / Walkers etc) but none that I know of that have ventured that far south.

I am going in August and would love any insight of the area?

Cheers
Jamie
Old 05-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
kicker84

Re: Exuma Bahamas

I kept a sailboat there for a few years in Elizabeth harbor. Dove a considerable amount. Get away from the harbor to spear if you can. there's more ciguatara and less fish there because the reef is a little trashed. I used to have tons of good numbers, baraterre being my favorite area to spear. I'll try to fire up my old machine for you.
kicker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
aresodin
Slinging

Kicker, thanks so much mate. Appreciate it!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
R.Boonfield

I've been. Thats where I shot my first fish! A 15-20 pound mutton. We were on the south part of great exuma, I think. We didn't go any deeper than 20 foot. Who are you going with?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
skelly

I'll be down in Exumas first week of August. We've chartered our own cat so we'll be moving around the middle Exumas for 1 week.

This will be my first time to spearfish, been an avid bowhunter my entire life and really looking forward to it. Bought a Mako 10' with hook rest. Trying to stay in 15'-25' range. Any recommendations for locations would be so much appreciated.

I'll share my experiences upon return.

SKelly
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
I'll be down in Exumas first week of August. We've chartered our own cat so we'll be moving around the middle Exumas for 1 week.

This will be my first time to spearfish, been an avid bowhunter my entire life and really looking forward to it. Bought a Mako 10' with hook rest. Trying to stay in 15'-25' range. Any recommendations for locations would be so much appreciated.

I'll share my experiences upon return.

SKelly
Check the regs and call ahead last I checked you needed a native Bahamian with you to spearfish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
skelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Check the regs and call ahead last I checked you needed a native Bahamian with you to spearfish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I've called ahead and have been told that a license is not required for fishing or spearfishing. Must abide by game laws as not tanks or guns.....

I believe if our boat is registered in the Bahama's that you are confirmed for game fish. I'll check again though, thanks.

quick question - will the spearfishing be better on the west side of Exumas islands or the east side? We'll be staying in the 10' - 20' range.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
skelly

From the many reads but few responses, i'm assuming that spearfishing is similar to fishing in that you don't want to give away your hot spots . Totally cool with that as i certainly don't give away areas i fish along the Texas coast.

This is my first trip to Bahamas/Exumas so we're just going cruise south from Nassau and look for areas that look "fishy". Hopefully get enough for dinner. Really excited about the trip and beginning a new venture(spearfishing) that i've always wanted to do. This is my kind of vacation, get away from it all and enjoy the outdoors with my crew.

I'll definitely post upon my return and please send any advise that you deem helpful.

All the best,
SKelly
Old 06-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
BahamaBaker

if you coming from nassau to exuma you will pass through the yellow banks. shallow area with very visible coral heads. just stop at a dark spot and dive in. 20 foot or less. crawfish season closed so leave them alone but everything else is fair game. once you reach the cays the channels between islands or cuts often have reef and fish, just mind the current if tide is changing. easiest thing to do anywhere is just stop on a head and dive in.
BahamaBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
R.Boonfield

Exuma is sick.
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
skelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBaker View Post
if you coming from nassau to exuma you will pass through the yellow banks. shallow area with very visible coral heads. just stop at a dark spot and dive in. 20 foot or less. crawfish season closed so leave them alone but everything else is fair game. once you reach the cays the channels between islands or cuts often have reef and fish, just mind the current if tide is changing. easiest thing to do anywhere is just stop on a head and dive in.
Thanks Baker - sounds like a perfect first day along the yellow bank and appreciate the information on the cuts as that's exactly what my plans are....
I've read a little about the strong currents through the cuts so we'll keep an eye on them as well.

I appreciate the insight.

SKelly
Old 08-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
skelly

Hi all:

Just return from an interesting but fun trip. Here's some details:

Picked up our boat that we were going live on for 5 days. Boat had several issues before we shoved off from Nassau but felt like things were good enough so when left. Wasn't comfortable because of the distance traveling by boat but made the best of a bad situation and headed to Highbourne area islands for first night. Found a great cove right at dark as it took almost 5 hours to get there. That's all im going to say about the crappy boat.....

We headed south the next day and found a good area. Once we got the hang of our first spearing episode we began to become fairly proficient. I'm not going to mention that one of the boys dropped one of our spears in the ocean on the way out so 3 of us were sharing 2 polespears

We ended up spearing lobster, grouper, snapper and trigger fish. Nothing big but all edible and a total blast! Can't wait for next trip.

I'm going to give you two good spots for spearing, Lobster Island area just north of Norman's. There's an isolated rock in the middle of the current that looks like it has no place being there (Shawshank kind of deal). The drop offs there were amazing, very plentiful variety of fish and beautiful territory. Depths were 12' to 30'.

Staniel Cay just south out by the rocks that extend from the marina. We were very successful at both places.

Wish we would have dropped on some heads in the Yellow Bank but with the boat issues and winds we didn't have the time or inclination.

I'll send pictures soon.

SKelly
Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
skelly

here's a few pics from our trip.

SKelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exumas 2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	239228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exumas 3.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	239229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exumas.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	239230  
Old 10-28-2018, 02:09 AM   #14
NHspearguy

Literally on my way to the airport to go visit some family vacationing down there. Brought my 10’ mako with me. Smelly I appreciate the posts and the after action!!!

I have a couple years at this, but am no pro and tips from the place you are going are always great.

Just hoping to get enough lobsters to feed the family a little!

Thanks again!
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
skelly

Best of luck and please send pics of your catch.

All the best.

SKelly