Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
daintreediver

3mm suits

hey guys haven't had to buy a new wetsuit for a few years, my last suit was a cressi technica 3.5mm that needs replacing. Anyone got any recommendations. What are the quality like on the Picasso,omer,cressi suits these days?? Any I should avoid?
daintreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
JetBoy

Re: 3mm suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by daintreediver View Post
hey guys haven't had to buy a new wetsuit for a few years, my last suit was a cressi technica 3.5mm that needs replacing. Anyone got any recommendations. What are the quality like on the Picasso,omer,cressi suits these days?? Any I should avoid?
I’m loving the Benthic ones, made by Yazbeck. I bought a less expensive 3mm at first and it’s ok, but the Benthics really shine. Attention to detail and overall quality, fit, and finish are just super.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
jersymudsniper

I have sea sniper, mares, and mako suits. Love sea sniper. Love the makos. Personally i think mako suits are just as good as my double the price sea sniper. I cant speak for other brands.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersymudsniper View Post
I have sea sniper, mares, and mako suits. Love sea sniper. Love the makos. Personally i think mako suits are just as good as my double the price sea sniper. I cant speak for other brands.
I have a Mako as well, from the Freediver class package (which I finally get to attend in April!). I bought the package as a second set of gear to leave at the beach and I have to say the Mako suit is nice. I just have a crush on Benthic!
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
daintreediver

Thanks guys anyone tried the mares instinct suit?
Old 03-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daintreediver View Post
Thanks guys anyone tried the mares instinct suit?
I have one. I tend to wear the mako over the mares.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
brandon cadalzo

You really can’t beat a Yazbeck. They fit better than my old custom oceaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Riffe, Yazbeck, (and most recently benthic) as well as mako are essentially the same except for few minor external cosmetic changes. I believe the Yamamoto rubber used in these wetsuit is essentially from the same company, it’s just the logo that distinguish them. It’s like comparing a Chevy Silverado vs GMC Sierra.

Omer are pretty good too.

Better however if you can wait and get a custom wetsuit from elios or polosub. I would recommend that if going thicker wetsuits (ie 5mm and above) to get a custom wetsuit as it will be made according to your size, which will be the most important factor in comparing all other wetsuits!

Old 04-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

3mm suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
This is false... the mako is nowhere near the quality as the Benthic.

Alec,

Perhaps I got my info wrong, so then I’ll ask you to educate me on where does the neoprene rubber that’s used to make Yazbeck, benthic, and riffe come from? And what about Mako ? And where does each wetsuit initial rubber sewing/gluing occur and then their final assembly ?

Of the above trademarks, whether a wetsuit is better or lower quality, that’s all subjective to one’s interpretation (in the absence of true benchmark measures to compare wetsuit A vs wetsuit B). A wetsuit that’s 2x the value of another doesn’t necessarily imply that it is superior in quality, and vice versa.

You state that Benthic wetsuits are way superior than Makos; What are the factors that make you base this statement ? universal fit? Durability? Quality of rubber? Warmth? Stretch? External Jersey? Price?

And again, if I got any of the above wrong, I’m looking for answers and for someone to educate me.

PS: I have absolutely no affiliations with any of the above brands.

Thanks .
Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
daintreediver

thanks for the feedback guys
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #11
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Guys,
I had some Spearboard members email this thread to me. Thanks Guys!
Hey Jersy Mudsniper and Jetboy, thanks for your support.

I’m stoked to announce that my 100% Genuine Yamamoto 3D Reef Camo suits are now available in:
• 3mm, 5mm and 7mm
• From kids sizes to XXXL (yes that’s 3XL)
• Men’s Cuts and Women’s Cuts (NOT UNISEX!)

MAKO Wetsuits are 100% Genuine Yamamoto!
Only $225.95 Complete Suit!

In case you are wondering how I can do this. I made this little graphic.

• Yamamoto Neoprene Wetsuits are the best in the world!
• Some BRANDS use cheaper Chinese/European neoprene, yet charge more.
• I sell direct. So I can use highest quality Yamamoto, yet still cost less!

“X” BRAND (Chinese/European neoprene) dive shop: $375.00
“Y” BRAND (100% Genuine Yamamoto) dive shop: $350.00
MAKO (100% Genuine Yamamoto) from Dano: $225.00
This is a total no brainer!

Regarding post #9 by Alec, it is total bush league when a company bashes a competitor in public. Alec clearly lost his Zen and I forgive him.

I have no doubt his suits are good quality.

But, since he made such a ridiculous comment, I visited his website and although this is unlike me, I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RESPOND ACCORDINGLY.

The YAMAMOTO APPROVED FACTORY that makes my 100% Genuine MAKO Yamamoto suits also makes high quality Yamamoto suits for several very well respected companies such as Rob Allen, Legendary and Sea Sniper.

Some suits are made for Unisex sizing. They are made for both men and women. This is not the best choice for men or women divers.

MAKO Men’s suits are made for MEN.

MAKO Womens’ suits are made for WOMEN.

I am a Man. I am built like a Man.

I DO NOT WANT TO WEAR A SUIT THAT ALSO MADE TO FIT A WOMEN.

And, it is my guess that women do not want to wear a suit that is also made to fit a man.

Some suits come in high waist only.

The MAKO suits give you the option of high waist or farmer johns (FOR THE SAME LOW PRICE!). If you dive in cold water, you will much prefer having farmer johns.

Some suits do not have ergonomic face seal panels, wrist seal panels or ankle seal panels. Instead, some suits have only simple stitching without using the ergonomic seal panels. These suits are not as warm.

All MAKO 2 piece suits include these ergonomic seal panels around the face, wrist and ankles. These ergonomic seal panels make for a much warmer suit.

Some suits have ink printed on the knees instead of real knee pads.
All MAKO wetsuits have real durable kneepads sewn onto the suits.

Some suits do not have an integrated knife pocket.

All MAKO suits include a built in knife pocket. Built in knife pockets save lives. Knife pockets are a huge safety feature. Knife pockets eliminate the possibility of your knife becoming entangled in shooting lines, reel lines, kelp or rogue nets.

The other suit 3mm suit: $350.00

My MAKO 3mm suit: $225.00

All these features make my suits much higher in quality, and thus more expensive for me to produce. But, because I sell direct to you, the diver, instead of through dive shops, my prices are much lower.

Here is Alec’s suit (below) from his website: All the other features not mentioned above are similar or alike.

https://benthicoceansports.com/colle...ic-3mm-wetsuit

Our own unique black acan coral camo pattern that allows you to break up your silhouette while remaining in a subdued black wetsuit that looks great. We had all the best features added to these suits and once you try one the differences are obvious! These are far and away the best wetsuits you will have worn, once you try them there's no going back!

Features Include:
Impermeaflex™ Fabric outside
Open cell interior
Built-in hood designed for optimal breathing comfort, neck movement and complete face protection
High waist pants
Glued and matching contrast stitched face, wrist and ankle seals
The Highest grade Yamamoto High Density Freediving 100% CR # 39 Neoprene
100% “Green” Chloroprene
Polyurethane Inkdots on the elbows, knees and seat area of the jacket for increased abrasion protection
Wider jacket tail with twin Locking Clips
Unisex Sizing
Built-in from the inside, seamless, thick, cushioned and slip-free spear-gun chest loading pad for maximum ease and safety
Each cross seams on the jacket exterior is stamped with a GlueDot
2 patches of KevDot are applied on top of the GlueDot on the 2 cross seams in the crotch panel

As I mentioned, Alec, it is total bush league to speak badly of a competitor in public. What you did was wrong. If you wish to continue your unfortunate behavior, we can discuss other gear and prices that you have on your website, such as masks, fins, knives, floats and floatlines, etc.

I’m sure Benthic is a good company. But, suspect the owners do not appreciate your behavior.

I suggest you go diving and try to find your Zen instead.

Believe me, I would have much preferred to announce the arrival of my 3mm 100% Genuine Yamamoto suits in a different way.

We don’t have much vis now, but I just got a new thruster, custom shaped by Allen White of Cocoa Beach, Florida. I’m totally Zen.

Dive safe guys,
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!

Last edited by MAKO Spearguns; 04-03-2018 at 06:08 PM.
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #12
daintreediver

hi dano your suits look the goods, I'm in Australia do you ship to aus if so how much to ship over here if you wanna pm me?
Old 04-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Thanks daintreediver! You can use our website, just make a selection and enter your exact address and you will get a shipping cost. You can also give us a call during normal EST business hours - 9-5 .

Thanks
dano

Old 04-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #14
brandon cadalzo

The thing that separates 2 suits made from the same material (Yamamoto) is the quality of the work that goes into making the seams and the tailoring. I’m not saying that the mako suits aren’t good. They are for that level of budget. I’d rather choose a mako suit than a mares suit. But, given a little more financial freedom i would much rather get into a Yazbeck as the difference is more than apparent when you look at all of the little intricacies of how the seals are made and check out the difference in there stitching. Aside from those factors having owned all of the above suits mentioned (mares, mako, Yazbeck) the Yazbeck is by far the warmest and most comfortable. It’s like second skin. No little air gaps or wrinkles anywhere. Very little if any water besides the amount that i use to live the suit gets inside.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #15
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Brandon,

I appreciate your take on Yazbeck suits. Definitely top notch suits!

Regarding the stitching, gluing and other materials, I’m glad you brought this up.

Please pardon the bullet points…I am going to use this for my webpage and I only want to type this once.

Yamamoto wetsuits are only produced at Yamamoto approved factories.
There are only a few of these factories in existence.
These factories are hand selected by Yamamoto.
Yamamoto does not allow just any factory make suits with the Yamamoto name.
Highly reputable companies such as Rob Allen, Benthic, MAKO and Yazbeck first go to Yamamoto. Yamamoto then hand delivers us to a Yamamoto approved factory. A company cannot ask just any factory to make suits using Yamamoto material. It doesn’t work like that. Non approved factories cannot even get the Yamamoto material.

Yamamoto establishes all sewing and gluing techniques for all suits.
All sewing and gluing methods are established and strictly monitored by Yamamoto.
Approved factories are not at liberty to choose lower quality manufacturing methods.
The Yamamoto standards are second to none.

Yamamoto also controls, to some extent, the other materials used to make a Yamamoto suit.
A Yamamoto approved factory must use the absolute highest quality threads and glues, beaver tail clips, etc.
A Yamamoto approved factory cannot use a low quality outer material such as Polyester which has very little stretch. This would ruin Yamamoto’s unmatched reputation for excellence.

There are some variations on Yamamoto suits as, I mentioned above, which can affect price and quality:
(Unisex) or (Men Specific and Women Specific cuts)
Face seals, wrist seals and ankle seals
Loading pads and knee pads
Accessories such as knife pocket
Camo patterns
Sold at dive shop or sold direct

So, at the end of the day, it is reasonable to conclude that Benthic, MAKO, Yazbeck, and any other wetsuit made of genuine Yamamoto material is a high quality suit.

Dive safe,
dano

Last edited by MAKO Spearguns; 04-03-2018 at 09:01 PM.