Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #46
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Re: spearfishing comp out of Port A???

Checked out tpw... Lookin like we will be ok this weekend. Besides, red tide is in the fishes gut, not the meat... You can keep what you shoot with no worries...!!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwate...e/status.phtml

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #47
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

I figured we would agree as a group. If everyone wants to stay inside of 9 miles to target fish for the tournament thats fine by me. If we want go look for blue water probably between 20 to 40 miles. Wave conditions permitting of course. The boat can handle more than what is tolerable. Going 30 miles at 12 knots in rough seas takes to long and going faster beats the snot right out of you.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #48
aggie_power
John

This forecast shows 2-4ft
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...?zoneId=GMZ250

If you can't fill some spots let me know my 12yr old and I could make it out as long as better half lets me.
aggie_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #49
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Whats the $ split for 4?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #50
aggie_power
John

Sorry I could not make it this weekend on Daddy duty. Did you guys go out? If so how did you guys do and how was visibility? I probably won't be able to make it out till spring b/c we have a 23 month and a 3 month old. I can't wait to get out.
aggie_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #51
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

It was a pretty rough ride out, we stopped at 726 on the way to a rig well past Double Yellow. Rodney and Mathew jumped in and reported only spade fish and chub. Viz was about 30 feet once you got down 20 feet or so. We got under way again but decided Double Yellow was good enough and tied off. Viz was the same, a little current but not bad. Rodney reported some mangroves but they were to deep to reach. You didn't miss anything. We brought back some spade fish for dinner, Rodney was nice enough to clean them while I finished stowing equipment. Thanks to Mathew for donating his catch. I grilled them last night and they were great. Hope to get together again in better conditions and make it out past Double Yellow to my new favorite rig. The keep cutting off my old favorites.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #52
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

cant say you didnt miss anything, because we were in the water, and we were shooting fish... a bad day fishing, well i cant compare that to spending the day with the kids, but it beats the heck out of a good day at work. i lost my drug patch at the first rig we stopped at and so by the time i we hit the second i was in the water about 45 min before i had to get back on the boat to chum, but Dave provided a great run out, and i was able to learn a few things from Rodney... so for me, it was worth it!!!! but i cheated, I went home and fried up some Drum from my last trip.... Man i love to eat fish!!!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #53
Mauifreediving

Glad you guys made it back safe and sound.....So when you say the mangroves were too deep, how deep is that? Hope to go out with you guys soon. Aloha!!!!
Mauifreediving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #54
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

Double Yellow is a very popular dive site. This late in the season the fish have become "educated". They may be at 60 feet , but as soon as you start to descend they match your decent. The bottom is 120 feet but the last 20 to 30 feet is what we call the murk layer. It is like zero viz below this depth and Lord knows what coils of cable and debris might be hidden inside.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #55
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

we need to try and plan something for november.....

Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #56
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

I'm always ready, lets just order a little better weather/sea state for the next trip. Have you gotten any more interest on the tourney?
Kesea! If you're out there, how was the bird hunting trip?
Praying for calm seas, warm days and cool nights.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #57
Drunkswimmer

Dave, we spoke on the phone a few months ago and I still have your number. I am dying to get out with you guys one of these days and I have just about any friday I want off.

Once my In-Laws leave, ill call you to see if i can tag along on one of your trips. I just put a new mako reel on my gun that is just ITCHING to kill some fish!

On a side note, you heard it here first, i spoke with the mako guys and they will be releasing a WOOD hybrid Enclosed Track Railgun in december (supposodly) and that will be my weapon of choice for next spring!
Drunkswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #58
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauifreediving View Post
Glad you guys made it back safe and sound.....So when you say the mangroves were too deep, how deep is that? Hope to go out with you guys soon. Aloha!!!!
Maui, I'm kinda embarrassed to say. I used to get down to 40-60' no problem. Too much time off, cheeseburgers and a few packs of ciggs since my last dive. Plus I tried to fire up the dive watch and batteries were out. So on 4 hours of sleep no watch and a guess at depth I'd say they were at 60' and headed down when I got to twenty to thirty and felt the need to turn around. I thought it was a fluke...until it happened all day. Time to get back on the treadmill and then swim some laps in the pool. No more cigs for me!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #59
Mauifreediving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_power View Post
Maui, I'm kinda embarrassed to say. I used to get down to 40-60' no problem. Too much time off, cheeseburgers and a few packs of ciggs since my last dive. Plus I tried to fire up the dive watch and batteries were out. So on 4 hours of sleep no watch and a guess at depth I'd say they were at 60' and headed down when I got to twenty to thirty and felt the need to turn around. I thought it was a fluke...until it happened all day. Time to get back on the treadmill and then swim some laps in the pool. No more cigs for me!
Listen to your body.....no fish is worth it. The last thing anybody needs is a samba or blackout!!! Just have fun, always have somebody watch you drop down and surface for at least 10 breaths...then you "should" be in the clear. I have lost a friend to swb before and ever since......never dive alone or push myself more than my body is telling me. Lets keep diving for a long time. Sorry for the lecture. That was funny though....
Mauifreediving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #60
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Drunk, we may have to just take a friday and run.... the weekends are starting to go out the window fast....