Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
fictiti0us

Regs for West Palm Beach?

Hi all, not certain if this belongs here or in the Atlantic FL section..

I'm making a trip down to FL in mid April and am hoping someone might be able to give me a rundown on the spearing regs in the West Palm Beach area. Or even point me in the right direction to find them myself.

Going to be down from the 11-16. Any tips on a boat or charter would be great too!
fictiti0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #2
Stephane
Kayak spearo

Re: Regs for West Palm Beach?

The information is very hard to find on the net. I will try to help you trough the process.

Here we go : you type "florida fishing regulation" in Google. I know it's not obvious. I found it after years of experience searching the Internet.

Then, lucky you, the first site that will pop up is FWC. If you click on it, you will have access to a chart with sizes, another with seasons, a link to buy your license...

Stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
fictiti0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
The information is very hard to find on the net. I will try to help you trough the process.

Here we go : you type "florida fishing regulation" in Google. I know it's not obvious. I found it after years of experience searching the Internet.

Then, lucky you, the first site that will pop up is FWC. If you click on it, you will have access to a chart with sizes, another with seasons, a link to buy your license...

Boy, am I glad I posted on spearboard and didn't just do a google search. For a minute there I was scared I might actually hear from someone who could provide some local insight and helpful info.

Good thing the sarcastic Kebekkers are here to save the day..
Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
Stephane
Kayak spearo

Ok, I feel cheap for trying to have a little bit of fun amidst the coronavirus panick and toilet paper crisis. Here is some real advice to redeem myself :

1- You will need a boat or a kayak to reach the fishing ground.
2- You need to be confortable in at least 50' of water.
3- You really need to study the rules and know your fish species. Each has its own season and minimum length and max possession ...
4- The Gulf stream comes pretty close to shore in WPB. Sometimes it it very hard to swim against the current. It varies from day to day.
5- Visibility is almost always very good.

Are you sure you will be able to travel in april? There is a lot of pressure on Trudeau to close the border and I would not be surprised if Trump did it, not to mention that a lot of airlines cancel flights.
Stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:07 AM   #5
fictiti0us

Stephane, you are a gentleman and a scholar. That is all great to know.

I wasn't sure about shore dives (saw on the FWC website no spearing within 100yds of land or piers) so the bit about a boat or kayak is good to know. The tip about the current is too.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on the situation; it's pretty up in the air right now. I'm staying cautiously optimistic but not holding my breath (laughs at own joke).

I appreciate the info!