Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
gone hunting
Nor Cal Diver

Talking Is chumming legal?

I'm new to the site & only been spearing for a few years. I'm heading up north for a little Abalone diving next weekend, & was planning on doing a little Spearing after gathering my snails. I was planning on bringing a frozen block of chum, but I'm not sure if It's legal, any info would be appreciated.
gone hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Doing Tables

Re: Is chumming legal?

All the cattle and private boats chum here in southern CA. So I don't see why it would be any different up there unless maybe your going after salmon.. They get funny about salmon.

Steve
5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
saltierdog
proper use of a bait tank

depends on what kind of fish you are after
i heard some spots in nor cal are really good for GWS

Just Say No to GREENWASHING

Men stumble over the truth from time to time,
but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

-- Winston Churchill
saltierdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
gone hunting
Nor Cal Diver

Looking for Ling cod, Rockfish & cabezon, definately not GWS!
gone hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

It's legal.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone hunting View Post
Looking for Ling cod, Rockfish & cabezon, definately not GWS!
Make sure the landlord gets this memo before you jump in.

Also, let me know your general whereabouts so I can stay a little up current.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

It's legal and effective. Don't let so cal get you down. However if you are after rockfish just swim to a better spot. They are stupid and easy to shoot. The only chumming I do is with all my ab trimmings. I'll dump them in a cove on the way out and search hard for monster cabs on the way in.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
cmburch
Blue Crab

Abalone Broadcasting Eggs/Sperm?

I have crunched the large purple sea urchins with my ab iron and attracted dungeness/rock crabs, kelp greenlings and perch, and small blues rockfish - not my favorite type of fishes that I would take though I find a large perch to be tasty just a chore if cabezon and ling cod not available, but worth the effort sometimes picking around bones. Now abalone on the other hand. I noticed it attracts Cabezone and ling cod. I was not chumming, but sometimes just in removing the abalone they spew a milky liquid - eggs maybe? And this has attracted Cabezone and Ling Cod.

I have found small abalone and small crabs in Ling Cod and Cabezone stomachs. My buddy claims that abalone makes the Ling Cod and Cabezone flesh blue to green tint, but he kids around a lot with me sometimes. He may think I am gullible and always believes what he says.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
dmay

Re: Abalone Broadcasting Eggs/Sperm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmburch View Post
My buddy claims that abalone makes the Ling Cod and Cabezone flesh blue to green tint, but he kids around a lot with me sometimes. He may think I am gullible and always believes what he says.
I always thought it was from eating octopus and their ink causes the change in color. I haven't confirmed this but it makes sense to me.
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Abalone Broadcasting Eggs/Sperm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
I always thought it was from eating octopus and their ink causes the change in color. I haven't confirmed this but it makes sense to me.
Dennis, I eat a lot of octopus, and the only part of me that turns dark is the angry inch..... and it has everything to do with a 'pus, but not the octo variety!!!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
ocean_314

Chumming is legal. It makes it almost to easy to shoot the rockfish but it does get the lings out of their holes. I only chum when i am taking a rookie or old timer or some kids out so they can try to polespear some fish. One time i took my wife and a couple of her female freinds out to an easy spot and got really lucky, i was able to chum up a big school of blues that swam all around them. They even had some come up and take the cum right out of their hands. No shooting fish of course purely a nature tourist thing.

The green meat on lings and cabs are the color of the male fish. The females are white fleshed.

The white stuff on the abalone that comes off when you pull it off the rock is their blood, i believe.

Filet the perch, the striped perch are very tasty and bake up really nice. My first hunt of the year is a place where a school of about 100 female perch congergate in the spring. I hunt there only once and shoot one limit, then leave them alone till next year. Thats the most enjoyable hunt of the year chasing that school around picking out only the biggest ones, all in 10 feet of water. Using a polespear.
ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
DaveW

I just shoot a blue or 2, then lower the stringer some. It brings the lings out.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
FishFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I just shoot a blue or 2, then lower the stringer some. It brings the lings out.
FishFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
cmburch
Blue Crab

You're right about the Ling Cods being attracted to bleeding fish. I was having bad luck at Garrapata SP and shot a large perch for dinner. In less than 10' of water, I looked down and saw a good size Ling hanging out below me. I always thought to myself just shoot a good size blue or perch for dinner it may attract something big. But I have never done it again.

Last edited by cmburch; 03-30-2008 at 10:26 PM.
cmburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
gone hunting
Nor Cal Diver

Thanks for all the good info guys, we'll giver er a go. Well the so cal guys seem to have a little issue with sharks or something, Don't worry you won't even feel it.