Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #16
R.Boonfield

Re: Video | Hernando Beach | New Camera... Paralenz

Could be, but I think Almacos tend to be taller in the rear as opposed to longer. I am definitely not an expert.
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
CuzzA

... and that's pretty much why I didn't take one. Even if they were Almaco or Lessers and not Greaters, you can bet FWC wouldn't know the difference. Just not worth the potential hassle given the Hogs and Mangos we found.

I really need to get more experience identifying jacks underwater. I'm not over the top on the table fare and a big AJ is a lot of meat, whereas a nice lesser or Almaco would be great for an easy smoked fish dip that wouldn't consume all the space in the freezer.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #18
R.Boonfield

Totally agree. FWC would not have a clue. AJs are actually surprisingly delicious if you haven't had one on the frying pan. They taste a lot like Mahi. Sometimes you get a fishy piece, but when you don't, its better than Mahi IMO.
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
CuzzA

It has been quite some time since I've had Amberjack. I'll have to make it an effort to harvest one.

I completely removed the line kit off my gun so taking one would require some forethought and good viz.... get those spare shafts ready to turn it into a porcupine. lol
Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 AM   #20
grey2112

So, I emailed Paralenz asking about battery replacement. As we all know a lithium battery can only be charged so many times before losing effectiveness and needing to be replaced. Here is the answer:

"The projected battery life is 500+ charges.

If the fault happens within a year after receiving the camera (or 2 years if you are in Europe) it will be covered by warranty - so you'll not pay anything.

However if it happens after the warranty period, to be honest with you, we did not discuss the pricing models yet - so I cannot tell you any specifics here. "

So, this is making me hesitant to spend $600 on one. And wait, we peons in the US only get a ONE year warranty vs. a TWO year warranty if we were in Europe? And you can't tell me how much for a battery replacement? Sounds like I might end up paying $600 every year or two if something goes wrong or the battery needs replacing.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #21
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
.... Sounds like I might end up paying $600 every year or two if something goes wrong or the battery needs replacing.
Nah, pretty much no way a battery replacement will be that much. The cost of the LiPo battery (pack) inside is probably in the $20 ballpark. Labor to replace it won't be all that much. At some point, Batteries Plus will probably handle swapping it. I wouldn't let the battery put you off if you were going to purchase it otherwise.

Camera malfunction, on the other hand, may set you back a new camera. GoPro has the same 1 year warranty. Paralenz are pretty new, so who knows how they'll hold up.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #22
CuzzA

The thing is, it's not a matter of if, but rather when, that GoPro housing will leak. Maybe it survives the flood, maybe it doesn't. It depends on how much pressure is put on the camera.

If they don't have a reasonable way to replace the battery I'll do it myself. At one time my dive computer company stated the computer's battery was not user replaceable, until it was quite clear that it was simple and just a $25 battery and o-ring. Then the company started selling kits.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #23
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
The thing is, it's not a matter of if, but rather when, that GoPro housing will leak. Maybe it survives the flood, maybe it doesn't. It depends on how much pressure is put on the camera.

If they don't have a reasonable way to replace the battery I'll do it myself. At one time my dive computer company stated the computer's battery was not user replaceable, until it was quite clear that it was simple and just a $25 battery and o-ring. Then the company started selling kits.
I hope that is the case. Of course, I'm sure that over the next year or two someone will reverse engineer the auto white balance and it will start showing up in other underwater cameras.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
....I'm sure that over the next year or two someone will reverse engineer the auto white balance and it will start showing up in other underwater cameras.
It wouldn't be hard. Hardware-wise, it just requires a sealed (waterproof) body and an internal pressure sensor. The new Google Pixel phone I have has this hardware already, and it enables you to squeeze the phone and have it bring up Google Assistant.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #25
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
....If they don't have a reasonable way to replace the battery I'll do it myself. At one time my dive computer company stated the computer's battery was not user replaceable, until it was quite clear that it was simple and just a $25 battery and o-ring. Then the company started selling kits.
Yeah, I've replaced quite a few non-user-replaceable cell phone batteries. And screens, etc.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #26
wcgator

Great video. How did you end up mounting the camera. In your unboxing post you were uncertain.
wcgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgator View Post
Great video. How did you end up mounting the camera. In your unboxing post you were uncertain.
Thanks! So the extension arm was the solution for me. They sent me the new mask strap mount, but I can't forsee using it over the GoMask. The video would still be off center with their mount and on scuba there would likely be more bubbles than normal since most regs direct exhaust bubbles to either side of your face.

What I really like about the mount is it can be unsnapped on the fly and then attached to another location. Like to a mount you have on your gun so you can capture some other cool footage. Like yourself, with your full limit of hogs, mangos and gags the first dive of the day. I wouldn't shoot with it on the gun. Only a matter of time before you knock it off the clip or scratch the replaceable lenz cap.