Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #1471
aus
squid

Re: SLO Dive Conditions

I believe they do, but not 100% sure. Pismo put up the warning yesterday, along with red flags on LG towers. Yes, for 3 days.
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #1472
iambluesman

Well there goes tonight's Unocal pier dives tonight n tomorrow. Rest of the week is supposed to see increase in swell n wind. .... Bummer.
iambluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #1473
slodiver

Warnings don't mean you can't go out. Think about the cruising speed of one of those sharks, sighted in Avila, in Morro Bay two hours later. You are more likely to die in a car crash on the way than to die of a shark bite. Not to say I have no fear of white sharks but you can't think about it.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #1474
aus
squid

They're just warnings, and are posted for three days after a sighting. The beach does not close. I still go in the water everyday. Like what slodiver said... I am more scared on the freeway than in the ocean. Unless the taxman gives me another driveby like a few years ago, then i'll stay out for a couple days.

Last edited by aus; 07-22-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #1475
aus
squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodiver View Post
Warnings don't mean you can't go out. Think about the cruising speed of one of those sharks, sighted in Avila, in Morro Bay two hours later. You are more likely to die in a car crash on the way than to die of a shark bite. Not to say I have no fear of white sharks but you can't think about it.
It seems like this is the same shark and is sticking around oceano-avila. The day after the one bite on the surfboard I saw the shark. Same size as reported by the surfer. Couple days after that there was injured sealife with bite marks that came to shore. Now the same size reported in Oceano & Avila.. She is around, and sounds quite aggressive since she is attacking surfboards. I could be wrong though. It's July and we are on the central coast. If ya scuurd, go to church
Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #1476
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
It's July and we are on the central coast. If ya scuurd, go to church
Amen!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #1477
Albondiga
A Harmer

I dove spooners yesterday and had decent vis, 10-20 feet. It was even pretty clear in close, where it is usually zero vis.

Saw a small school of 3" anchovies, quite a few bocaccio yoy that are definitely growing fast, olive rf yoy, and lots of baby perch. As for shootable sized fish, not much was out. Saw a few cabs, some rf (b/y, grass), kelp greenling, perch. Hoping for a big ling or a halibut. I did not see any size of ling and in the sand I only saw sanddabs and several co turbots.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #1478
iambluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodiver View Post
Been diving n surfing for years and only seen one shark so getting hit is extremely rare agreed. However, I don't want to make stupid choices either because bad things happen when the obvious is ignored.

Although GW attacks are extremely rare, chances of getting bit go up significantly when:

1. There are repeated sightings of GW patrolling a certain area
2. These sightings include "encounters"
3. Diving at dawn or at dusk
4. Diving with seals or sea lions present
5. Free diving vs. Scuba

Not "scared" but need to give "Whitey" the respect he/she deserves.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #1479
Albondiga
A Harmer

I have had PSL harbor police stop me from taking my kayak out when there was a non-posted shark sighting. Of course they waited for me to have all my stuff loaded, on the beach, suited up and ready to go. Are they letting sup-ers out there now?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #1480
iambluesman

Don't know about the SUP-ers, do know I'll be in the water with tanks tomorrow night as the fish reports from local RnR guys have been pretty awesome.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #1481
aus
squid

Two sperate legit reports 10 mins apart from each other this morning of a 6ft shark in the surf in front of t1 pismo beach.

Last edited by aus; 07-22-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: stupud auto correct
Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #1482
aus
squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambluesman View Post
Been diving n surfing for years and only seen one shark so getting hit is extremely rare agreed. However, I don't want to make stupid choices either because bad things happen when the obvious is ignored.

Although GW attacks are extremely rare, chances of getting bit go up significantly when:

1. There are repeated sightings of GW patrolling a certain area
2. These sightings include "encounters"
3. Diving at dawn or at dusk
4. Diving with seals or sea lions present
5. Free diving vs. Scuba

Not "scared" but need to give "Whitey" the respect he/she deserves.
Is the dawn or dusk thing really true? I always thought that was a rumor started by surfers to keep kooks out of the water when the waves are the best.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #1483
Big_Berg

Ever watch the shark shows and notice they get peak action at sunset. Corpuscular hours are the best!
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #1484
LosOsos4Life
Bryan

Went out on the kayak today for a few hours at MDO (spooners). Water was warm and vis was amazing, we could see the bottom out past the cove. Probably 25+ ft. Virtually no swell and the fish were active also!
LosOsos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1485
Albondiga
A Harmer

Had a green dive off the Pecho Coast today. Vis was a hazy 10-15ft. Wind was light all morning, swell was down in the 2-4ft, surge was light.

PSL looked really murky, but calm early this morning. This afternoon, North Shell had some decent color, and might be a good area to think about a dive. There were some white caps at the edge of the Shell Beach kelp beds, and I think the forecast has an increase in the wind tomorrow and through the weekend.

There were signs up at PSL about the sharks, it was not a "beach closed", but a "we recommend...".