Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
Seeco

Pathos pockets versus Mako

Pathos and Mako seem to sell the same Leaderfin carbon blade. I felt Pathos pockets and they are indeed weightless but mako sells fins with the same blades a bit cheaper. Am I gonna be disappointed if I save $50 and get the Makos? Also any input on the sizing for either? I fit omer scorpion size 41 - 42 to 7/8.

Any other pros / cons between these two?
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
jaxwax
average joe

Re: Pathos pockets versus Mako

Above all choose the ones that are most comfortable on your feet. Pathos can be molded to best fit ones feet usually. Each of my feet are different [surf knot on top of one] so that helps me out big time
But also pathos are glue-in only rails which would be a con if you want to swap blades out
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Hard to put a price on weight savings. Ask Dano if he knows the weight of his pockets. I know you can find the weight of pathos footpockets with Google search

Last edited by jfjf; 02-11-2015 at 01:56 AM.
xrispearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
blueopium

You'll get better performance out of the Pathos pokers.
blueopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
parker

Pathos pockets probably weigh less than Mako - but Mako pockets are not heavy. My opinion is a comfortable fit is more important than slightly lighter weight.
When I first tried Pathos, I did not like them at all. But more recently, after trying the 'mold them with a hair dryer' trick, they fit very nicely.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
xrispearo
you cant see mee

size 11.5 pathos pockets weigh 432grams. nearly half what a standard pocket weights. Beuchat comes close at 640grams.

the smaller, lighter footpocket lets the blade work as its designed. though im not sure how well cheap carbons are designed.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
Seeco

I have the stingray fin and the pocket is very heavy. If the mako pocket was somewhere between the two I'd be fine with it. Comfort not an issue I've been crushing my feet in tight fins for like 20 years. Thanks for the replies so far.
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
I just got the pathos foot pockets with carbons, and have a pair of the mako competition plastic fins with their foot pockets. I can tell you that right now, the Mako ones are way more comfortable. The Pathos feels hard and blocky.

I have not tried to mold them yet, but I will. I'm just nervous because when I tried it with the Mako fins I stretched out the heel on the right foot. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why the Pathos are considered the best on the market (at least that's my understanding), so when I finally do mold them, I'm sure they will feel just as nice.

As for weight, I can't say for sure because I never weighed them, and now the pathos foot pockets are wearing blue tec carbon blades. But I can tell you, that I picked up both pairs in my left and right hand, and the plastic with makos were substantially heavier. I mean WAY heavier. I'm not expert, but I think either one will work great carbon fins.
Do not blow dry the heels...just focus on the toe region and forefoot region where they rub. Others mentioned putting the hair dryer inside the pocket facing the toe slit, I didn't need to do that but it should heat everything up nicely. Pathos pockets are terribly uncomfortable off the shelf but they do break in nicely and after molding them they are amazingly comfortable.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Footpockets either fit or they don't. I do know that having as light of pockets as possible with as supple of tendons as you can get is the best option if they fit.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
newbiee1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
I'm pretty sure the Mako foot pockets are comparable to Omer Stingrays. Not sure, but if that's true, then perhaps someone knows the weight of the Omer Stingrays? I'm almost tempted to take mine apart and see what they weight. I'm size 10.5-11.
Not sure about the stingrays, but my milleniums set the scale at 567grams, but let's call it an even 600 grams...

The thing that I love missy on the pathos pockets,its that the the heel part of the picket,its really soft, and makes the putting on/off way easier in/out of the water.
newbiee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote